Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-18-2008, 02:34 PM

111 posts, read 431,825 times

Advertisements

I hope to move to NJ in 2009. I narrowed my search to the Ridgewood, New providence (NP) & Chatham.

I have done alot of research on the good points of each town. I am hoping that people could tell me the negatives of each town.

School is a big factor fo us as well as having a nice house in a family atmosphere envionment so anyhelp would be great.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-18-2008, 02:43 PM

5,340 posts, read 13,953,134 times
Well, you've been on the posts from the Ridgewood Mom this morning... so you know that the snob factor and the uber-competitiveness thing exists in Ridgewood. It defiantly exists in Chatham too. Can not speak of NP - but from what I've heard it may be a little less tehre. All have excellent schools, all are safe, all are very attractive towns. I think you MAY get a tiny bit more for your $ in NP, but not a whole lot...they are in the same price range.

Old 10-02-2008, 07:56 AM

5 posts, read 27,780 times
Default chatham

I hate to disagree with the previous poster but I moved to Chatham Boro at the end of June and absolutely love the area, people, and schools. I have a daughter in the 4th grade and I've been very impressed with the teaching styles and services at her elementary school. I do not find Chatham to be snobbish whatsoever. We walk for icecream (Gabriellas) where they make it a point to get to know you. There are houses in so many price ranges in Chatham that I don't think anyone can be left out! I cannot say enough good things about the area. I don't know much about NP but my daughter attends martial arts there (at karate world) where the owner/teacher is very talented at teaching children not just the mechanics of the art but the morales and attitudes behind what they stand for.

Good luck in whatever you decide. There are great realtors in Chatham. I used town and country and was very happy. My neighbor is a Pru realtor and she's got a great handle on the town and surrounding area (she's lived there 20+ years)_

Old 10-02-2008, 08:09 AM

11,345 posts, read 16,708,690 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by movingfurthernorth View Post
I hate to disagree with the previous poster but I moved to Chatham Boro at the end of June and absolutely love the area, people, and schools. I have a daughter in the 4th grade and I've been very impressed with the teaching styles and services at her elementary school. I do not find Chatham to be snobbish whatsoever. We walk for icecream (Gabriellas) where they make it a point to get to know you. There are houses in so many price ranges in Chatham that I don't think anyone can be left out! I cannot say enough good things about the area. I don't know much about NP but my daughter attends martial arts there (at karate world) where the owner/teacher is very talented at teaching children not just the mechanics of the art but the morales and attitudes behind what they stand for.

Good luck in whatever you decide. There are great realtors in Chatham. I used town and country and was very happy. My neighbor is a Pru realtor and she's got a great handle on the town and surrounding area (she's lived there 20+ years)_
Come on, it's a well known fact that people who live in Chatham have "Chatitudes".

Old 10-02-2008, 09:35 AM

Scary when we agree MPB!

I am not saying it is ALL people obviously - but some towns do have a different "feel" overall. When I've been to events for my neices & nephews in Chatam, I definately feel the Chatitude. (Like that one.) I asked my s-i-l (trust me, we are not the loaded with $$$ type in finance or attitude.... ) and she said that the attitude and keeping up with the joneses factor defiantely exists. She has managed to meet some like minded folks and has friends. She said you will DEFINATELY end up with a lot of issues with the kids that you will have in most afluent towns... kids getting too much too soon, emphasis on material things, snobbery and the "Why don't you wear any designer clothes?", and "Your Mom drives a Ford? An old Ford?" (That was actually asked by a classmate to one of her kids...) and she said it is a challenge. They are very happy with the education and teachers at the schools though.

Old 10-02-2008, 12:17 PM

27 posts, read 117,977 times
I went to Chatham schools many years ago and also had a lot of friends from New Providence. In my personal experience, the NP kids were a lot nicer and less competitive about what car you drove, the size of your house, etc.

In my opinion, the stores were better in NP than Chatham. The town pool is nice in NP (I like to swim in clear water so Chatham's ponds weren't a hit for me ).

I agree that you might get a bit more house for the money in NP. I don't know how Union County taxes compare to Morris County, though. That would be a big factor in my decision.

Old 10-02-2008, 12:30 PM

Excellent post HazeGray - I agree.

Old 10-02-2008, 12:32 PM

526 posts, read 1,391,908 times
I am just curious as to why you are not also considering Madison and Florham Park? No snob factor there, but lots of comunity pride.

Old 10-02-2008, 12:36 PM

I like Florham Park.
I have a friend who is very happy with Long Valley - it's a bit further away and I can't speak of it personally - I have yet to visit her. But she loves it.

Old 10-02-2008, 06:06 PM
ira

657 posts, read 3,931,789 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by akitasun View Post
I hope to move to NJ in 2009. I narrowed my search to the Ridgewood, New providence (NP) & Chatham.

I have done alot of research on the good points of each town. I am hoping that people could tell me the negatives of each town.

School is a big factor fo us as well as having a nice house in a family atmosphere envionment so anyhelp would be great.
Bergen County (Ridgewood) has blue laws - everything (except food stores) is closed on Sunday. I know people who decided against Bergen COunty because of that. Just another thing to consider.

My biggest problem with Ridgewood is overcrowded schools (especially elementary). Also, HS is huge (1,500 students or so) - very easy to get lost (not literally, of course)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey