Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-17-2007, 07:21 PM

474 posts, read 1,259,871 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyntmac View Post
....If you like Philly then yes you would have decent access in south NJ and it is cheaper overall compared to the rest of the state.

I have never lived in south NJ but I have to say that I sort of like the area that is right next to Phila(is it the Cherry Hill area?). Some of those little towns are older, walkable, and w/o the typical centerless suburban feel. The people down there seem more relaxed than in the rest of the state. If they commute to "the city" they get there pretty quick from what I hear. It does not have the NY area feel to it as far as the friendly factor goes. I think most of it is very safe and "diverse" whatever that means to you.
What a lot of people from out of the state don't realize is that North and South Jersey are so distinct from one another that it is hard to believe you are in the same state (although how much longer that will last is debatable.) We in South Jersey (and we always call it that) have tried twice to unsuccessfully secede from the rest of the state and become the State of South Jersey.

The differences are legion. In many ways, we are more "southern" in character, outlook etc. We are (or were, the way the building idiocy has taken hold) mainly rural in nature. There are still small towns with very friendly people. The pace is definitely much slower in nature. We don't even have the same accent as those who live maybe 80-90 miles away.

We have miles and miles of pinelands, marshes, and small crabbing communities. Our business centers lie in the western part, with Cherry Hill probably at the central point. And, of course, Atlantic City at the other end.

It's nice because you can live in a small town or rural area yet have access to highways, interstates, trains etc. that can take you to Philadelphia in no time. However, if anyone is interested in this area, you have to make a quick decision because it is quickly becoming totally outpriced like the rest of the state.

In fact, this area was always "different". During the Civil War there was even a Confederate outfit known as the "Cumberland Greys".

So I just realized that those outside NJ probably have no idea of the two very distinct regions. I would draw the line at Trenton; anything south of that is "South Jersey". Just so you know!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-18-2007, 11:32 AM
mgc

1 posts, read 4,448 times
Default living in Georgia

I moved from North Plainfield, NJ to Alpharetta, Georgia 9 years ago. Housing is cheaper, but the schools are not as good. However, kids can do very well down here if they apply themselves. My kids did. My daughter finished high school here, then went to Emory nursing school. She is now an ER nurse and planning to go to medical school. My son is a senior at the University of Georgia. Oh, and Georgia has the HOPE scholarship. Any student who graduates from a Georgia high school with a B average can go to any Georgia state supported university tuition free. They have to maintain the B average while in college to keep it. My son has been going to UGA tuition free for 3 years. Almost worth moving here just for that. I taught at North Plainfield high school for 10 years before moving here. I am now teaching in a private school here. I miss NJ in some ways, mainly the diversity and it is a much more liberal place to live. I still have family there, so I might return someday.....but the move here has been a good one all in all. I used to shop in Westfield all the time, beautiful little town.

Old 08-26-2010, 08:29 PM

1 posts, read 3,358 times
Hi, South, North, or Central...
I was born and raised in Staten Island New York but when my mom's company relocated to Charlotte, NC my last year of high school I have been here ever since. At the time her company was offering those that relocated to keep their NY salary with her making 50k at the time and the cost of living being so much lower in NC it seemed like a great idea. Now that apartment living is so high here (though way cheaper then NY or NJ) you have to take into account that they dont pay as much here. There is at least hope for buying a house, there are a lot of 4 bedroom homes for sale at 50k and up. They are homes that have been built anywhere from 1900's to 2008.
I am trying to relocate closer to that way VA or MD to be closer to my family in NY, NJ, MD, and VA however my smaller 2 children are in private school with no more then 16 kids in a class per 2 teachers and my son is in a very good high school here. That is all that keeps me here. I wouldn't mind moving where it was a good place for family living and I could find great schools for the kids, paying more to live I wouldnt mind so much if I knew there were jobs and I would be making more money. It would balance out, where here jobs are posted online but unemployment is higher and higher, and the few jobs that are really hiring are going with temps so they dont have to provide medical insurance. Best luck on your search, mine contiues as well...

Old 02-07-2016, 01:43 PM

19 posts, read 39,635 times
Default Cheapest places to live in Northern NJ

First, it will depend on the schools if you need public schools. So if you don't need to worry about the schools these are my top picks for least expensive and near NYC.

1. Bayonne
2. West NY
3. Garfield
4. Clifton
5. Lyndhurst
6. Bloomfield

If you don't have to be close to NYC and you can be further away

1. Vernon
2. Butler
3. West Milford
4. Dover
5. Phillipsburg
6. Newton area
7. Clark

If you have kids and need good schools, but not high rent
Near NYC

1. Verona
2. Parsippany
3. Pompton Plains
4. Edison
5. Pompton Lakes
6. Oakland
7. Midland Park
8. Fairlawn

Don't take my word on it do your own research, but this will help you get started.

Old 02-08-2016, 08:41 AM

684 posts, read 713,424 times
Yes, the previous poster has made a very good list.

Owning a house on 50k income in a low crime area with good schools... At a 100k income you are still stretching your resources here. property taxes are rising by about 4% pier year and 1k a month in property taxes is reasonable for a good area.

I have had some friends who lived in Clark and so I am somewhat familiar with that area, commute to NYC from Clark is about 1.5 hours, schools are not horrible and apartments are reasonable.

I hate Parssippany, i rented there after finishing grad school. White people are really.... well they are only funny if you don't have to deal with em.... affordable rent, low crime, local immigrant communities (Asians and Indian contribute to school's good rating).

Old 02-08-2016, 09:11 AM

2,170 posts, read 1,952,385 times
Anywhere within 30 miles of NYC or 10 miles of an NYC train is just not going to happen on a $50k salary. I live in South Jersey and love it. My wife and I lived in North Jersey for many years. We used to rent a 1 bedrom place that cost $2,000 a month! Now I own a Gorgeous house on an acre that is new and 2,500sq/ft. With my tax breaks from owning my monthly housing is actually cheaper than my rent was and I'm building equity. I believe South Jersey housing prices are only going to go up as many people in north jersey decide its just easier to add 30 mins to their commute and save $150k+ on housing and another $4,000 on taxes.

With that said, I know mount laurel schools are very good. The typical single family in mt. Laurel is going to sell for over $300k. But there are safe areas in mt laurel where you can find a small single family 2br 1bath 1,200sq/ft for $125k-$175k I personally saw one in Rancocas Woods and was thinking about picking it up as a investment rental property.

The best of luck to you, just please be sure not to let a banker or Realtor talk you into buying a house that is 3x your salary. You will be over extended and house poor, its just not worth it. People who make $150k+ a year can easily afford 3x salary because daycare cost the same for everyone, bread, gas, insurance.. They're all the same no matter what you make. Someone paying $3,000 a month for housing and $2,000 a month on other expenses but makes $150k a year is going to have a lot more left over each month than someone paying $1,000 a month for housing and $2,000 a month for other expenses making $50k a year.

Make a budget, and decide what you can afford.. Go from there

Old 02-08-2016, 11:15 AM

90 posts, read 145,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ericp501 View Post
Anywhere within 30 miles of NYC or 10 miles of an NYC train is just not going to happen on a $50k salary. I live in South Jersey and love it. My wife and I lived in North Jersey for many years. We used to rent a 1 bedrom place that cost $2,000 a month! Now I own a Gorgeous house on an acre that is new and 2,500sq/ft. With my tax breaks from owning my monthly housing is actually cheaper than my rent was and I'm building equity. I believe South Jersey housing prices are only going to go up as many people in north jersey decide its just easier to add 30 mins to their commute and save $150k+ on housing and another $4,000 on taxes.

With that said, I know mount laurel schools are very good. The typical single family in mt. Laurel is going to sell for over $300k. But there are safe areas in mt laurel where you can find a small single family 2br 1bath 1,200sq/ft for $125k-$175k I personally saw one in Rancocas Woods and was thinking about picking it up as a investment rental property.

The best of luck to you, just please be sure not to let a banker or Realtor talk you into buying a house that is 3x your salary. You will be over extended and house poor, its just not worth it. People who make $150k+ a year can easily afford 3x salary because daycare cost the same for everyone, bread, gas, insurance.. They're all the same no matter what you make. Someone paying $3,000 a month for housing and $2,000 a month on other expenses but makes $150k a year is going to have a lot more left over each month than someone paying $1,000 a month for housing and $2,000 a month for other expenses making $50k a year.

Make a budget, and decide what you can afford.. Go from there
One of the most realistic posts on this forum

Another thing is that if you get lucky, you see rentals worth the commute on the Nj side of things

With taxes, I think home ownership in North NJ, compared to all the amenities of lifestyle, entertainment, transport you get in NYC, is WORSE than NYC, because it can be hard to get a ROI with HIGH TAXES in North jersey. Getting hit with 16-25k tax bills isn't unheard of meaning you pay the value of the house in taxes by the time a 30 year mortgage is up. That is rpobably the highest cost of home ownership with CA in the COUNTRY

Too many people come to the NJ forum from NYC thinking NJ is a steal...far from it, you get what you pay for if not less

Old 02-08-2016, 01:08 PM

4,940 posts, read 12,139,900 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ericp501 View Post

Mount Laurel? That is close to 90 miles from NYC. You would have to be out of your mind to do that commute. Anywhere in South Jersey to NYC is simply not realistic on a daily basis. There are towns less than 30 miles from NYC that are still a 1.5 hour commute. I can't imagine how long it would take from towns near Philly.

Old 02-08-2016, 07:52 PM

208 posts, read 170,313 times
For my husband and I, our combined salary is $100,000. After doing our research, we found out a while ago, that for our income level, it is near impossible to find an area with good schools in northern NJ, within one hour max of NYC that would be comfortably affordable for us and (future) kids. We, as many others, are being priced out of northern NJ. No offense, but we both don't like the central/south part of the state, so we are planning our exit to a more middle class friendly state. The COL of living is beyond ridiculous for the very few amenities you get here, unfortunately.

Old 02-09-2016, 09:39 AM

462 posts, read 549,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Candh07 View Post
For my husband and I, our combined salary is $100,000. After doing our research, we found out a while ago, that for our income level, it is near impossible to find an area with good schools in northern NJ, within one hour max of NYC that would be comfortably affordable for us and (future) kids. We, as many others, are being priced out of northern NJ. No offense, but we both don't like the central/south part of the state, so we are planning our exit to a more middle class friendly state. The COL of living is beyond ridiculous for the very few amenities you get here, unfortunately.
Agree with your assessment, just make sure that when you move out you can get a similar income or you will find yourself in the same boat. I know a couple who felt pretty much as you did and moved to Florida. Only problem was their combined income was 50% less down there, so they ended up in pretty much the same situation, albeit in warmer weather.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey