Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-14-2008, 09:50 PM

1,943 posts, read 6,986,049 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by colleeng47 View Post
These are some reasons that I see the difference in taxes. However, I am more than happy to put up with the loss of some services to have a MUCH lower tax bill. The prevailing attitude here is "government, stay out of my life", so you don't hear people grousing about a lack of being taken care of by the government. Most people here are very happy with the state, and their life.
People should have the choice to live in a place where you pay a lot of taxes but you get a good return on your investment - or to live in a place where you pay next to nothing in taxes but don't expect much in return.

But people should look at the differences between a high tax state like NJ and a low tax state like Oklahoma:

Murders per 100,000:
OK - 6.1
NJ - 4.4
(note that while the numbers are small that represents a 25% difference)

Rape per 100,000:
OK - 43.1
NJ - 12.1

Infant mortality per 1,000
OK - 8
NJ - 6

Adult literacy rate
OK - 80%
NJ - 99%

Poverty rate
OK - 16%
NJ - 9%

Child poverty rate
OK - 23%
NJ - 12%
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-15-2008, 06:50 PM

3,238 posts, read 8,791,870 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by solibs View Post
People should have the choice to live in a place where you pay a lot of taxes but you get a good return on your investment - or to live in a place where you pay next to nothing in taxes but don't expect much in return.

But people should look at the differences between a high tax state like NJ and a low tax state like Oklahoma:

Murders per 100,000:
OK - 6.1
NJ - 4.4
(note that while the numbers are small that represents a 25% difference)

Rape per 100,000:
OK - 43.1
NJ - 12.1

Infant mortality per 1,000
OK - 8
NJ - 6

Adult literacy rate
OK - 80%
NJ - 99%

Poverty rate
OK - 16%
NJ - 9%

Child poverty rate
OK - 23%
NJ - 12%
I agree with you. Lower taxes equals fewer services. Everyone has to decide for themselves what's important. Thankfully, the provety rate and literacy rate doesn't affect us. Our particular town has a VERY low crime rate, a decent income level, and the public school system is fine -- I have a 16 year old daughter in the high school. I know Oklahoma has its problems, but we're very satisfied with our move, and as I said, just about everyone I've met is happy with their life here. The discontents I've met are mostly from California, who are amazed that their low tax bill in OK won't cover the types of services they got in California.

A major consideration for us is higher education. NJ state colleges (Rutgers for example) full year tuition (in state) $13,000 (approximate); University of Central Oklahoma, full year tuition (in state) $4500 (approximate).

Instead of comparing the entire state, we compared our town here in OK to our town in NJ. The services we received in NJ wasn't worth the hefty tax bill we had there. But everyone's situation is different. If I had an autistic child, for example, NJ would be a better choice for us.

Last edited by colleeng47; 11-15-2008 at 07:01 PM.. Reason: Added info on colleges
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey