Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-15-2008, 07:03 AM

1,983 posts, read 7,515,735 times

Advertisements

The story is about the LEVEL of foreclosures, not the %. The level is high because of the huge number of households in NJ. I can see some increase in October which was a perfect storm month and probably the low point of this de-leveraging cycle. It really depends where you live. Some towns in northern NJ will continue to get hit. I think if you live south of 195 in Mercer County, you are in pretty good shape and the market has bottomed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-15-2008, 08:19 PM

253 posts, read 996,614 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EEEPNJ View Post
Whenever people were on the "not here" kick I thought "Denial is not just a river in Egypt." NJ is PRIME for this becuase of the HIGH cost... so many took off more than they can chew. And the McMansion craze was just nuts... when did everyone decide they needed a center island kitchen, great room, 4-5 br, 3-4 baths and all... just nuts.
I blame those HGTV shows and the like. OK, I'm guilty of watching them alot too, but I know enough to know what I can and can't afford. I'm always amazed at the young married couples who absolutely need those granite counter tops, walk in closets and master suites for their first house. Some of those master suites are larger than the apartment we started off with! It's great if you can afford it, but the question is, will you be able to afford it down the road? I think they need to teach personal economics as a mandatory class in high school and college.

Old 11-16-2008, 08:29 AM

11 posts, read 26,543 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MoorestownResident View Post
The story is about the LEVEL of foreclosures, not the %. The level is high because of the huge number of households in NJ. I can see some increase in October which was a perfect storm month and probably the low point of this de-leveraging cycle. It really depends where you live. Some towns in northern NJ will continue to get hit. I think if you live south of 195 in Mercer County, you are in pretty good shape and the market has bottomed.
Actually the ranking is based on the foreclosure RATE not the absolute number of foreclosures. NJ came in at 1 out of every 410 households (0.25%) making it 8th in the country. It wouldn't make sense to rank based on the raw # of foreclosures.

I live in Mercer county and we've been looking for a home for 2yrs. Bottomed? Prices have barely even dropped. New sellers still start listing at 2005 prices.

I was amazed that the counties closest to NYC have the highest foreclosure RATE because that dispells the myth that "we're close to NY, so it can't happen here" that they sell so well in central NJ.

Old 11-16-2008, 11:35 AM

Location: Some got six month some got one solid. But me and my buddies all got lifetime here
4,555 posts, read 10,401,557 times
I wonder how many people took out mortgages close to the max of what a bank would lend. Just because a bank says they can give you, say, 305K or so for a loan doesn't necessarily mean you should hit that amount. To me that's just sheer stupidity and really asking for a problem later on down the road.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey