Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-22-2008, 08:31 AM

31 posts, read 230,407 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyersfan View Post
have you or your visitors been "neglecting" your fridge ? Do you go out an leave it alone ? Fail to remember its birthday ? I'm not sure how you neglect a fridge and i've never heard of anyone being accused of that....so i would suspect the landlord is responsible ?
lol!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-22-2008, 08:35 AM

31 posts, read 230,407 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerseyt719 View Post
And so glad it's working again.
Thanks. At some point last night, it sounded as if it was trying to go there again, so I opened it back up and fiddled with it some more.

It's been okay since then, but I have a sneaking suspicion that that fan may ultimately have to be replaced.

We'll see. ::Fingers crossed.::

Old 11-22-2008, 01:33 PM

1,548 posts, read 4,314,742 times
Being getting into a war with your landlord, try this: Slide the refrigerator away from the wall, get behind it, and vacuum out the area below the refrigerator. Then take off the bottom grate in the front of the refrigerator and do likewise.

Often times, refrigerators act up when there are wads of accumulated dust around the motor. This overheats the motor and causes it to malfunction. This may solve your whole problem.

Old 11-23-2008, 06:00 PM

2,510 posts, read 3,975,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaverickDD View Post
Being getting into a war with your landlord, try this: Slide the refrigerator away from the wall, get behind it, and vacuum out the area below the refrigerator. Then take off the bottom grate in the front of the refrigerator and do likewise.

Often times, refrigerators act up when there are wads of accumulated dust around the motor. This overheats the motor and causes it to malfunction. This may solve your whole problem.
This is silly. Since when did it become the responsibility of the tennant to perform maintenace on household mechanical systems or appliances ? Is a tennant required to "tune up" a furnace every fall, have the hvac ductwork cleaned periodically, drain the hot water heater periodically as recommended......no.....this equipment is owned by the landlord....not the tennant..... and should be the responsibility of the landlord to be kept in "operational" condition.

Old 11-23-2008, 08:30 PM

32,927 posts, read 36,335,488 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyersFan View Post
This is silly. Since when did it become the responsibility of the tennant to perform maintenace on household mechanical systems or appliances ? Is a tennant required to "tune up" a furnace every fall, have the hvac ductwork cleaned periodically, drain the hot water heater periodically as recommended......no.....this equipment is owned by the landlord....not the tennant..... and should be the responsibility of the landlord to be kept in "operational" condition.
I'll meet you nine tenths of the way here. Do we expect the average renter to clean air ducts, etc. No we don't. Do we expect them to clean a dust ball the size of a Mini Cooper out from behind the fridge? Yeah, we do. I'm not saying that they will, but...

Old 11-23-2008, 09:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerania View Post
I'll meet you nine tenths of the way here. Do we expect the average renter to clean air ducts, etc. No we don't. Do we expect them to clean a dust ball the size of a Mini Cooper out from behind the fridge? Yeah, we do. I'm not saying that they will, but...
That should fall under normal house cleaning for most people.....yes, cleaning behind the fridge periodically should be the responsibility of the tennant, however, someone wrote in here that the tennant should consider dismantling portions of the fridge to gain access to the interior mechanical areas so they could be cleaned also and I draw the line there !!!

Old 11-24-2008, 04:06 AM

23,865 posts, read 33,540,585 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyersFan View Post
however, someone wrote in here that the tennant should consider dismantling portions of the fridge to gain access to the interior mechanical areas so they could be cleaned also and I draw the line there !!!
People have been taking the front grill off of fridges since they've had them. I wouldn't doubt that the fridge paperwork says you should unplug and remove dust regularly so as not to burn up the compressor.

There is a fine line when renting.
I've seen tenants not clean up after a shower, it gets moldy.
We had one that didn't report a leak in the ceiling until it turned out to be a major expense.

We had one that had a large fish tank. They went on vacation & I guess didn't keep the tank clean, the filter exploded causing a fire.

You expect tenants to treat the place like their own but through the years don't...

Old 11-24-2008, 01:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roselvr View Post
People have been taking the front grill off of fridges since they've had them. I wouldn't doubt that the fridge paperwork says you should unplug and remove dust regularly so as not to burn up the compressor.
Do you really expect renters to sit down and read the owners manual of their landlords fridge ? How about the furnace manual or the AC manual ? I think your expecting way too much of the young renters of today....most are pretty clueless on any type of maintenance or repairs.

Old 11-24-2008, 02:12 PM

23,865 posts, read 33,540,585 times
No I don't expect them to sit down and read a manual. I have an adult kid. There's no way he'd do it either.

People need to do maintenance on their stuff. Simple as that.
How many people even know they're supposed to blow the dust out of their computer?

The way it looks, landlords don't have to supply fridges, just stoves and there will come a time when renters will be lucky to not have to buy their own fridge. Right now landlords do still supply them, and if they are lucky enough to find a rental with one, take care of it.

Old 11-24-2008, 08:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roselvr View Post
No I don't expect them to sit down and read a manual. I have an adult kid. There's no way he'd do it either.

People need to do maintenance on their stuff. Simple as that.
How many people even know they're supposed to blow the dust out of their computer?

The way it looks, landlords don't have to supply fridges, just stoves and there will come a time when renters will be lucky to not have to buy their own fridge. Right now landlords do still supply them, and if they are lucky enough to find a rental with one, take care of it.
Your living in the past. The younger generation today knows nothing about maintenance on anything. Their parents didn't teach them anything about cars or household mechanical systems like ours did. How many young men today know how to change their own auto engine oil and how many young women know how to cook or even apply polish to their wood furniture ? NONE....because they are DINKs......double incomes no kids.......they are more willing to pay someone else to do it rather than learn how themselves. A fridge breaks they buy a new, larger, better stainless steel one on the credit card before they read an owners manual.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
View detailed profiles of: