Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-11-2007, 03:37 PM

2,093 posts, read 5,460,601 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonsdaddy View Post
We also are considering a NJ home purchase, with similar desire for a walkable downtown suburb (we've lived in the big box, no thanks)... also with a $600-$800K target. Of the towns you all have mentioned, which would you say hold the easiest downtown NYC commute? Which hold the best schools?
Westfield

train to newark penn station
and path to downtown
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-12-2007, 08:37 AM

859 posts, read 3,321,965 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by human92 View Post
I looked @ the crime rates in Morristown thinking they were horrible, I couldn't beleive a city could be so bad. Then for comparison sake I checked my current city (grand rapids MI), and found out that morristown is freekin mayberry compared to where I already live. I'm used to hearing about people getting shot almost daily, I hear gunshots and car alarms now and then too. I thought moving to the east coast was going to mean much more crime, but in my case things are looking up.
People exaggerate about Morristown crime. I have family there and went to college over there. I would walk around south street at night in my teens and early 20s and never felt unsafe. A lot of bars and restaurunts I really like there.

There are a couple of blocks in Morristown that one may name seedy, but over all it is no big deal.

Old 05-12-2007, 12:22 PM

3,353 posts, read 4,965,937 times
If you decide to look at northern NJ, try Nutley. it's always been walkable and now NYC expats have discovered it - not a bad thing, cute shops, etc.

Old 05-18-2007, 01:58 PM

1 posts, read 4,007 times
Default Just Moved to Westfield

My husband and I just moved to Westfield after searching for a home with very similar characteristics - easy access to a walking town, good schools, etc. We landed on Westfield and are very happy there. A typical commute into Penn Station takes 45 minutes, but you can also transfer to the PATH to quickly get to the Financial District, Union Square, or Jersey City. The downtown is just great, and we are delighted to be able to walk downtown on these warm nights to indulge in some gelato or italian ices. The town is EXTREMELY child friendly, making us dog owners feel like we're behind all of our neighbors!

We also considered Madison, which has a great walking town, but was a bit longer of a commute. Summit is also great, as is Millburn and Cranford. Cranford was actually our first choice in towns, as it is probably a bit less "pretentious" than Westfield, but we fell in love with a home in Westfield and are so happy that we did so. GREAT GREAT Place!! Good luck to you.

Old 05-30-2007, 01:02 AM

51 posts, read 262,271 times
Would anyone consider Rutherford as having a "walkable downtown"...and if so can you compare it to Washington Street in Hoboken...just because i am most familiar with Hoboken and that's where my husband wishes we could afford to own a home...poor guy can't afford to live in his hometown!
He is very reluctant to move to Rutherford or other surrounding towns off of Route 3 because of traffic getting into Hoboken/JC...but i think it might be an easier transition if it kind of feels like his hometown!
I do know Rutherford is a dry town...and wonder how residents feel about that...good/bad?
Is there any walkable downtown like Hoboken...but not too far from Hoboken/JC???

Old 06-04-2007, 03:16 AM

3 posts, read 18,434 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NellyBell View Post
My husband and I just moved to Westfield after searching for a home with very similar characteristics - easy access to a walking town, good schools, etc. We landed on Westfield and are very happy there. A typical commute into Penn Station takes 45 minutes, but you can also transfer to the PATH to quickly get to the Financial District, Union Square, or Jersey City. The downtown is just great, and we are delighted to be able to walk downtown on these warm nights to indulge in some gelato or italian ices. The town is EXTREMELY child friendly, making us dog owners feel like we're behind all of our neighbors!

We also considered Madison, which has a great walking town, but was a bit longer of a commute. Summit is also great, as is Millburn and Cranford. Cranford was actually our first choice in towns, as it is probably a bit less "pretentious" than Westfield, but we fell in love with a home in Westfield and are so happy that we did so. GREAT GREAT Place!! Good luck to you.
I graduated from Westfield High School in 2000. The only reason my family moved back to Essex County was the cost. Believe me, if the funds at the time were right, we would NOT BE HERE now. I loved everything about Westfield. There is a little disagreement about which side is better, the north or the south, but overall the town is a great place to live, work, and raise children. The police seem to be pretty friendly as well. We lived on Lenox Ave. right in front of the post office so we usually parked with a meter. But the police new we lived there and didn't even bother most of the time with a ticket. A few times believe it or not, the traffic cop would ring the bell and ask us to move the car! And as a minority, I found nothing but friendly people all around. Racial issues seem to be non-existent, or at least we didn't encounter any. If anything, it was more of a, "you're a Westfield'er now," type attitude, hehe.

The downtown is great. Since I lived right near the post office, you can imagine I spent many 3 am mornings in the Westfield Diner lol. And I can remember us heading to Hersheys Deli almost EVERYDAY during lunch. Ahh, good times. If anyone wants a great place to shop, dine, and spend a day in the sun in, check out Westfield.

GO BLUE DEVILS!

Last edited by NJGuy81; 06-04-2007 at 03:32 AM..

Old 08-20-2007, 03:28 PM

3 posts, read 25,474 times
Default Madison has a beautiful downtown

Madison NJ has a beautiful, walkable downtown. A really nice walk is to go from downtown Madison near the train station over to Drew University, then down to Loantaka Park and back again. I live in California now but do that walk with my sister whenever I visit--it's very relaxing.

Old 08-20-2007, 03:39 PM

239 posts, read 1,141,253 times
Default Great website!

This website calculates the walkability score for any given town or address, including a few celebrity addresses.

It is very interesting and relevant to this thread.

Walk Score - Helping homebuyers, renters, and real estate agents find houses and apartments in great neighborhoods.

Old 08-20-2007, 05:07 PM

4 posts, read 17,365 times
South Amboy?

Old 08-20-2007, 06:51 PM

543 posts, read 1,456,071 times
Tiggywink, that site was great... my location's score was 65 out of 100.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey