Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-25-2009, 03:58 AM

5,450 posts, read 8,759,695 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainyInferno View Post
Middlesex County is actually pretty nice too, and it's right in the middle. No need to be north jersey or south jersey :-)
Somerset County is great too!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-25-2009, 10:38 AM

4 posts, read 36,723 times
For me (and just for fun not taking price into account):

1. Maplewood (Essex County)
2. Princeton (Mercer County)
3. Chatham (Morris County)
4. Moorestown (Burlington County)
5. Haddonfield (Camden County)
6. Lambertville (Hunterdon County)
7. Montclair (Essex County)
8. Hopewell (Mercer County)
9. Alpine (Bergen County)
10. Basking Ridge (Somerset County)

Old 01-29-2009, 08:49 PM

526 posts, read 1,391,434 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by frankgn87 View Post
matt- honest. I use a century 21 search page that searches all the houses for sale in any area you want. I picked Morris county and had a choice of Chatham and Washington township..
If that site really only gave you those 2 choices i would not use it anymore.

I am a Realtor, not a Broker and I have to say the home search on my own website works much better than that. But then again I paid a considerable sum for it so it better work well.

There are lots and lots of single family homes currently for sale in Morris County priced under 730K and having less then 12K in taxes. What do you think this is, the twin of Essex County? No really, Look at Madison, Florham Park, East Hanover, Parsippany... I but you will be hard pressed to find any home priced under 730K that has taxes of 12K. Most of them will be well under 10K.

Morris County is known for having considerably lower property taxes than Essex.

Old 01-29-2009, 09:42 PM

1,552 posts, read 4,632,727 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthew in Jersey View Post
or am I simply Don Quixote fruitlessly searching for some Norman Rockwell existence that no longer exists in the Garden State of keeping up with the Jones's?
Yeah, that's exactly what you're doing. None of the towns you mention have a substantially less "transient" population than Montclair, or a substantially lower tendency toward "keeping up the the Jones'"

All those towns (and others that people mentioned) are nice places. But so is Montclair.

You're looking for something that doesn't exist.

Old 01-30-2009, 04:28 AM

7,780 posts, read 21,872,134 times
James, i found out that my site I use is aimed at south jersey and pa. Not North jersey, thats why the North jersey properties are very limited.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesBoyer View Post
If that site really only gave you those 2 choices i would not use it anymore.

I am a Realtor, not a Broker and I have to say the home search on my own website works much better than that. But then again I paid a considerable sum for it so it better work well.

There are lots and lots of single family homes currently for sale in Morris County priced under 730K and having less then 12K in taxes. What do you think this is, the twin of Essex County? No really, Look at Madison, Florham Park, East Hanover, Parsippany... I but you will be hard pressed to find any home priced under 730K that has taxes of 12K. Most of them will be well under 10K.

Morris County is known for having considerably lower property taxes than Essex.

Old 01-30-2009, 08:57 AM

9,375 posts, read 20,790,034 times
Well, according to Money Magazine's 2008 list (we all love these lists and their credibility, right?) Franklin Township is #5 in the entire country!
Best places to live 2008 - Top 100 City details: Franklin Township, NJ - from MONEY Magazine

Old 07-09-2009, 07:59 PM

33 posts, read 131,923 times
Wondering if you made a choice to move and how it is going. We were looking into towns a year ago. Now we won't move to NJ for another year. Now that prices have dropped a bit Madison is looking better and better. I did not think we could afford it before. Hoping we can now. Any downside to it?

Old 07-09-2009, 08:59 PM

1,387 posts, read 4,015,478 times
Wow, this is a hard one! Lets see, towns in NJ that are kid-friendly with good schools, neighborly people that aren't snobbish, and void of mcmansions. I'd pick (in no particular order):

1.) Cedar Grove
2.) Rutherford
3.) Fair Lawn
4.) Verona
5.) Highland Park
6.) Metuchen
7.) Secaucus
8.) Leonia
9.) Hasbrouck Heights
10.) Clark

Old 07-09-2009, 10:36 PM

4,414 posts, read 5,147,018 times
Some of the teardowns in these rail-road suburbs are McMansions basically. That criteria will be difficult to adhere to 100%. So here is the holy-grail of 10 in the State of New Jersey in no particular order.

1. Ridgewood
2. Westfield
3. Millburn
4. Summit
5. Madison
6. Princeton
7. Chatham
8. Mendham
9. Haddonfield
10. Moorestown

Honorable mentions;

Upper Montclair
Bernardsville
Basking Ridge
Spring Lake
Ramsey
Tenafly
Ho-Ho-Kus
Sparta
Denville
Chester
Clinton
Cranbury
Maplewood
South Orange
Cadlwells
Pennington
Hopewell
Califon
Atlantic Highlands
Manasquan

Old 07-09-2009, 10:55 PM

1,387 posts, read 4,015,478 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanQuest View Post
Some of the teardowns in these rail-road suburbs are McMansions basically. That criteria will be difficult to adhere to 100%. So here is the holy-grail of 10 in the State of New Jersey in no particular order.

1. Ridgewood
2. Westfield
3. Millburn
4. Summit
5. Madison
6. Princeton
7. Chatham
8. Mendham
9. Haddonfield
10. Moorestown

Honorable mentions;

Upper Montclair
Bernardsville
Basking Ridge
Spring Lake
Ramsey
Tenafly
Ho-Ho-Kus
Sparta
Denville
Chester
Clinton
Cranbury
Maplewood
South Orange
Cadlwells
Pennington
Hopewell
Califon
Atlantic Highlands
Manasquan
I guess you have a point here. Some of the towns you mentioned, while nice, have a reputation for being very snobbish and "cliquey" though. The OP's requirements surely makes this hard!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey