Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-31-2009, 08:26 AM

2,510 posts, read 3,976,796 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newarkbomb View Post
The trash we throw out still litters somewhere else. Dosn't mean you didnt litter. You just didnt make your surroundings look littered WHICH i understand completely, but what you need to get like most people is that littering is impossible to avoid in human society.
Really ? Have you ever been to Canada ? Theres virtually no highway litter to be found or trash in their city streets. They seem to "get it" which means it is possible to avoid. Making escuses of why we can't avoid it is why we have have it !!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-31-2009, 08:37 AM

23,551 posts, read 17,227,205 times
Default law trumps personal feelings

Lowlifes litter.....end of story!

39:4-64 Highway littering ban 39:4-64. a. No person shall throw or drop any bundle, object, article or debris of any nature from a vehicle whether in motion or not when such vehicle is on a highway. The words "object, article or debris of any nature" as used in this section shall be deemed to include a cigarette, cigar, match, or ashes, or any substance or thing in and of itself likely to cause or fuel a fire, but such inclusion shall not be deemed to in any way limit the generality of the words "object, article or debris of any nature." Any person who violates this section shall be subject to a fine of not less than $200 or more than $1,000 for each offense. b. There shall be a rebuttable presumption that the registered owner of the vehicle, if present in the vehicle, or, in his absence, the driver of the vehicle, is presumed to be responsible for any violation of this section, if: (1) A bundle, object, article or debris of any nature is thrown or dropped from the vehicle by an occupant of the vehicle; (2) There are two or more occupants in the vehicle; and (3) It cannot be determined which occupant of the vehicle is the violator. Amended 1954,c.37; 1975,c.154,s.1; 1981,c.143,s.1; 1983,c.346,s.1.; 1992,c.171,s.1

Old 01-31-2009, 09:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kracer View Post
Lowlifes litter.....end of story!
Thank you......I couldn't agree more !!!

Old 01-31-2009, 10:12 AM

1,577 posts, read 5,687,834 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyersFan View Post
Really ? Have you ever been to Canada ? Theres virtually no highway litter to be found or trash in their city streets. They seem to "get it" which means it is possible to avoid. Making escuses of why we can't avoid it is why we have have it !!!
I dont litter, so it's not my problem why millions of other people do it in america. So it can't be my fault that other people can't avoid littering. It's just laziness, it has nothing to do with esxusses. Im sure everyone knows what a trash can is.

And no i havnt been to Canada, but kudos to them. im sure i'll drive through there also and not throw out my trash just like i dont on Route 9 here. But you know how many people already do it here, i mean now i get it since you're from Canada, but im so used to it now. I agree with what your saying and everything. But i know nothing is going to happen in most urban places in the US.

Old 01-31-2009, 11:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newarkbomb View Post
I dont litter, so it's not my problem why millions of other people do it in america. So it can't be my fault that other people can't avoid littering. It's just laziness, it has nothing to do with esxusses. Im sure everyone knows what a trash can is.

And no i havnt been to Canada, but kudos to them. im sure i'll drive through there also and not throw out my trash just like i dont on Route 9 here. But you know how many people already do it here, i mean now i get it since you're from Canada, but im so used to it now. I agree with what your saying and everything. But i know nothing is going to happen in most urban places in the US.
I'm not from Canada but half my relatives are from the Toronto area. In your small world you appear to want to seclude yourself from outside problems because you didn't help create them but litter infringes into everyones world. As a culture the Canadians have chosen not to turn a blind eye to a problem that someone else may have created and taken it upon themselves as individuals to make it their problem and do something about it. Out of national pride its just not tolerated !!! Unfortunately due to small thinking there are those in this country that just chose to be irresponsible by either littering or give themselves permission to ignore what they see simply on the basis that they didn't create it.

Old 01-31-2009, 11:42 AM

20,797 posts, read 9,743,388 times
Then flyersfan go stand out somewhere on the side of the road with a sign that says "Please do not litter."
Like other posters have said they do their part to not litter. Most people do.

Let it Go!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

This thread should have ended yesterday.

Old 01-31-2009, 04:43 PM

1,471 posts, read 3,461,541 times
When I was about 9 or 10 (very early 80s), I was in the car with my mother. I used a tissue and I was about to throw it out the window. My mother told me not to do it, and I held on to the tissue another few seconds, and then threw it out the window when my mother wasn't looking.

We came to a stop at a light, and a youngish (maybe late 20s) hippie couple in a hippie car pulled up beside us. The man yelled right at me, saying, "Hey, YOU! We saw you throw that tissue out the window! Don't litter!" As the light turned green, I heard the woman say, "Help keep America clean!" as they drove off.

Then my mother yelled at me like she never yelled at me before (and that was quite a feat considering my mother was a champion yeller).

I never forgot that incident and never littered again.

Today, if the same thing was to happen to a spoiled brat ten-year-old kid, his spoiled-brat yuppie Gen-X mom would likely sue the couple for causing the kid "emotional distress".

Sometimes I miss the old days.

Old 02-01-2009, 07:49 AM

5,273 posts, read 7,347,457 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyersFan View Post
Flyer- That is because the Canadians leave their garbage back in Buffalo where they buy things and throw their trash away so they wouldn't have to claim it at the border to go back to Canada!. You never saw such pigs when they would come to the malls (i.e.Galleria Mall in Cheektowaga)and leave their shoeboxes,bags, etc.. in the parking lots!!so think again!

Old 02-01-2009, 08:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by njsocks View Post
Flyer- That is because the Canadians leave their garbage back in Buffalo where they buy things and throw their trash away so they wouldn't have to claim it at the border to go back to Canada!. You never saw such pigs when they would come to the malls (i.e.Galleria Mall in Cheektowaga)and leave their shoeboxes,bags, etc.. in the parking lots!!so think again!
Funny that you should mention Buffalo/Niagara Falls area. I've been traveling though there on the way to Toronto since 1947. The American side of the falls has gotton better over the years but the Canadian side has always shown much better. The American side used to be a horrible honky-tonk type area just. Even at a very young age it looked despressing compared to the Canadian side. I can't speak to the specific area you speak of but the bottom line is theres no comparrison in driving a Canadian road and an American and the amount of litter observed. Honestly, I doubt that Canadians stockplie their trash for a weeky trip to the States so they can dump it there ?

Old 02-01-2009, 12:05 PM

5,616 posts, read 15,520,111 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by njsocks View Post
ohh so true, in Plattsburgh they would leave their shoes and clothes in the parking lots after they came and bought their clothes cheaper at the Stores. You would see shoes just left in the lot!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey