Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-14-2009, 10:22 AM

1,931 posts, read 3,412,864 times

Advertisements

Honestly you are not exactly a pro at the bargaining table. The house is not even yours and you are emotionally attached to it. Walk away and let it be. More houses will hit the market and you are bound to find something you love at your price. When you chase you get burned. You my friend are chasing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-14-2009, 10:24 AM

1,931 posts, read 3,412,864 times
Not to mention if they are in "no rush" let them sit and wait. What exactly do you think they would tell your realtor? Do you want them to tell you they need to be out in a month? They wouldnt have too much bargaining power if they did, dont you think?

Old 02-14-2009, 11:46 AM

744 posts, read 1,405,988 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lusitan View Post
But you can't reduce the amount of principal you owe on the loan.
I know of a certain President and Congress who disagree with you on that. Just stop paying your mortgage and they'll bail you out by doing just that.

The American Dream lives on!

Old 02-14-2009, 12:01 PM

786 posts, read 2,663,518 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bababua View Post
Honestly you are not exactly a pro at the bargaining table. The house is not even yours and you are emotionally attached to it. Walk away and let it be. More houses will hit the market and you are bound to find something you love at your price. When you chase you get burned. You my friend are chasing.
Exactly. There are so many homes on the market for bargains, you'd be crazy to become emotionally attached to one house that you never even lived in. Only one step up from the fools who were bidding up the prices of mediocre homes in 2005.

Old 02-14-2009, 12:12 PM

316 posts, read 942,935 times
I am going to have to disagree. we've been house hunting for a year. this one really feels like "the one" as silly as it sounds. market appraised at $379K. original asking price of $414K. and now I just offered $312K. not too shabby if you ask me. this seller is priced well below market value. plus he is not in a major rush to sell so this is why he is holding steady at 320k. your right, there are a lot of other houses hitting the market. but in this specific location they are going for the mid to upper 300s, well out of my range. and most need updating. this one has been fully remodeled. trust me, there is good reason to at least do a little chasing!

Old 02-14-2009, 12:39 PM

786 posts, read 2,663,518 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikieguns View Post
I am going to have to disagree. we've been house hunting for a year. this one really feels like "the one" as silly as it sounds. market appraised at $379K. original asking price of $414K. and now I just offered $312K.
ok, now that you laid it out that way, it sounds ok. That's 25% off OLP, 18% below market value.

"the one"???? it's a house, not a kid.

Old 02-14-2009, 01:17 PM

lol, tell that to my wife! besides, it is where i will be hanging my hat every day for several years to come hopefully.......

Old 02-14-2009, 01:19 PM

yah he started at 414k like a year ago. been on and off the market (for sale by owner). the recent comps show sales for similar homes anywhere in the $330K - $370K range. he came back on the market at $325k, which is when i found it. but now i get why he is reluctant to budge.

Old 02-14-2009, 02:35 PM

23,861 posts, read 33,529,254 times
Quote:
I am going to have to disagree. we've been house hunting for a year. this one really feels like "the one" as silly as it sounds. market appraised at $379K. original asking price of $414K. and now I just offered $312K. not too shabby if you ask me. this seller is priced well below market value. plus he is not in a major rush to sell so this is why he is holding steady at 320k. your right, there are a lot of other houses hitting the market. but in this specific location they are going for the mid to upper 300s, well out of my range. and most need updating. this one has been fully remodeled. trust me, there is good reason to at least do a little chasing!
Then you need to make a decision on if you really can go a little higher.. unless you totally pissed the owner off with the offer, which you will see if you try to counter. I can tell you that some sellers are having a hard time just giving a house away. The market is disgusting as both a seller & buyer.

FWIW, I know what it's like to look for houses for a long time. If you find "the one" go for it without having to defend your actions to a message board. You're going to put money into rent anyway; so either you pay a little more and get what you want or you flush money down the toilet to someone else. Do the math on what rent would cost you and the difference in price.

Make a decision knowing that if you walk away when you're so close, someone else might come along and get it for a little more then you offered. If the house is that desirable, it will sell.

I'll have to see if I can find a post by someone at another message board I go to. They had a really good way of figuring out what is the right price for a buyer to pay.

Basically, what is the number that would **** you off if someone else bought it for?

Old 02-14-2009, 02:37 PM

23,861 posts, read 33,529,254 times
Quote:
lol, tell that to my wife! besides, it is where i will be hanging my hat every day for several years to come hopefully.......
You are right.
I'm picky, rooms have to be laid out just so, property a certain size.
buying a house on number of bedrooms & bathrooms doesn't work for me.
It's about so much more then that.
Then think resale on top of it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey