Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-11-2009, 09:19 PM

27 posts, read 214,348 times

Advertisements

I like many others am looking into New Jersey as a cheap alternative to NYC but intend to work and spend most of my night life in Manhattan. Ive been looking into Weehawken and in my apartment search i'm finding many affordable things in Union CIty as well. From what ive gathered, late night transportation from/to Manhattan is highly dependent on ones proximity to Blvd. East. (although i could be wrong). Im not accustomed to long commutes and really hate being in a non-central area (i currently live in Hollywood,CA and am minutes from everywhere I wanna be.) I have a couple of friends who live in Weehawken but surprisingly none of them even know where Union City is. So i guess i should get to my question. For anyone who knows Union City well, what are my options for getting into the city both during the day and late at night, also in my apartment search are there any "convenient" locations (like Weehawkens Blvd. East) that could make or break my commute. I'd like to be in the city in 25 mins or less. I'm aware that UC is a little rougher around the edges which doesn't bother me, its the commute that concerns me. I really dont want to be in a location where I literally have to make or not make plans with friends based on commute alone. Right now ive been looking ONLY at weehawken but i wouldnt mind expanding the search if were talking about the same commute. I'd also love to hear form anyone that can compare the two in detail. Thanks in advance to anyone that can help.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-11-2009, 09:30 PM

4,180 posts, read 5,060,271 times
in UC, look for something near Park Ave. and between 30th & 34th Streets...

and if you've really got $$, something along River Road

Old 02-11-2009, 09:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JG183 View Post
in UC, look for something near Park Ave. and between 30th & 34th Streets...

and if you've really got $$, something along River Road
thanks! but whats the commute like in comparison to weehawken? i dont have alot of money at all thus my choice of NJ vs. NYC

Old 02-11-2009, 09:51 PM

oh... i forgot to mention im interested in public transit commute, wont be driving

Old 02-11-2009, 10:02 PM

2,653 posts, read 5,960,487 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by popschild View Post
I like many others am looking into New Jersey as a cheap alternative to NYC but intend to work and spend most of my night life in Manhattan.
Try the Bronx..................
You obviously do not intend to invest one ounce in NJ, so it might be a better "alternative" for you.

Last edited by openheads; 02-11-2009 at 10:17 PM..

Old 02-11-2009, 11:10 PM

Default nice try

Quote:
Originally Posted by openheads View Post
Try the Bronx..................
You obviously do not intend to invest one ounce in NJ, so it might be a better "alternative" for you.
It would be very easy for me to castrate you with a ******y comment but you'd probably like that, I'll save you the embarrassment, because believe me if you and i get into a witty comment match, i WILL win. NOW for anybody who's not a total idiot. Im a genuine citizen looking for genuine answer to a simple question. thanks to anyone generous enough to answer.

Old 02-11-2009, 11:22 PM

2,653 posts, read 5,960,487 times
I'm not trying to be witty. I'm serious.

Old 02-12-2009, 04:57 AM

124 posts, read 383,866 times
I don't know how you can live in Weehawken and not know where Union City is. Your friends sound oblivious. But to answer your question Weehawken and Union City are fairly similar intends of density and transportation. Weehawken has a little higher white population Union City is mostly hispanic but Union City is definitely a more exciting neighborhood. Weehawken is more of a bedroom community for those who work in the city. Weehawken is going to be more expensive just because of the number of high rise condos that make the town feel a little more upscale. I know Union City better than Weehawken and can tell you its a great place. It's definitely not Hollywood though.

Old 02-12-2009, 08:31 AM

4,180 posts, read 5,060,271 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by popschild View Post
thanks! but whats the commute like in comparison to weehawken? i dont have alot of money at all thus my choice of NJ vs. NYC
UC will, at best, only be 5 minutes less time (to get into NYC) than Weehawken...

Old 02-12-2009, 11:05 AM

252 posts, read 456,167 times
I moved to Weehawken for 2 main reasons - housing affordability relative to New York City and Hoboken and the convenient commute to midtown Manhattan where I work. From a commuting standpoint, the best location in Weehawken and Union City is the area surrounding the intersection of Pleasant Avenue and Route 495 (highway linking Weehawken and Manhattan). Pleasant Avenue forms the boundary between Weehawken and Union City, making the commute from both towns about the same. Several bus routes converge at this intersection, and it is the last bus stop before Manhattan. Likewise, this intersection is the first stop for many bus routes coming out of Manhattan.

Day transportation – NJ transit buses and gypsy buses connecting Weehawken and Union City to Manhattan run virtually non-stop during the morning rush hour. Everyplace in both towns is within 10 minutes’ walk of a bus stop. The trip into Manhattan takes between 10 and 30 minutes, depending where you board the bus and the level of traffic congestion. The trip is slightly quicker returning home in the evening.

Late night transportation – NJ Transit buses 128 and 159 run 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. Everyplace in Weehawken (except waterfront areas which don’t have a lot of rental housing) and everyplace in Union City (except southern 1/3 of city) is within 10 minutes’ walk of these bus routes. In addition, gypsy buses run similar routes at all hours. Late at night, the bus trip from Manhattan to Weehawken and Union City takes between 5 and 15 minutes (depending on stop) according to schedules for 128 and 159 buses. The evening trip into the city takes a few minutes longer because there’s more traffic congestion.

Weehawken and Union City are “non-central areas” in that they lack the intense concentration of jobs and nightlife found in Manhattan or LA. But everyplace on Earth is non-central compared to Manhattan and LA. There are plenty of bars and restaurants in Weehawken and Union City that stay open late (2 am), so there is more going on compared to most urban neighborhoods in this country.

Unlike many New York City suburbs, if you live in Weehawken or Union City, your life will not revolve around the public transit schedules. Just make sure you turn up to Port Authority Bus Terminal on time when you’re trying to get home late at night – the buses leave promptly and run about one per hour.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey