Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-19-2009, 11:32 AM

13,401 posts, read 28,717,395 times

Advertisements

newly hired state workers to reside in NJ

Proposed bill would require state workers to live in N.J. - Breaking News From New Jersey - NJ.com
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-19-2009, 11:52 AM

1,552 posts, read 4,632,727 times
Without reading the details of the bill, it sounds like a reasonable idea to me. An entire state is large enough that surely anyone who works for the state should be able to find a place they like inside the state's borders.

And that way, they'd also have to suffer the NJ property taxes along with the rest of us :-)

Old 02-19-2009, 12:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lusitan View Post
Without reading the details of the bill, it sounds like a reasonable idea to me. An entire state is large enough that surely anyone who works for the state should be able to find a place they like inside the state's borders.

And that way, they'd also have to suffer the NJ property taxes along with the rest of us :-)

Agree...I'm sure all the current state workers that reside in PA or DE breathed a collective sigh of relief that it will not apply to them

Old 02-19-2009, 12:13 PM

7,577 posts, read 22,601,036 times
Hummm... is NJ becoming it's own Union?? I guess you have a choice..take it or leave it right?

Old 02-19-2009, 12:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wileynj View Post
Hummm... is NJ becoming it's own Union?? I guess you have a choice..take it or leave it right?

Most towns have a residence requirement for employees why should state workers be exempt?
State troopers have to reside within the state.

They are being paid a salary with our taxes, they should live here and contribute as well

Old 02-19-2009, 12:22 PM

5,616 posts, read 15,515,246 times
I also think its a good idea but a better Idea for right now is not to hire any state workers.

Old 02-19-2009, 12:44 PM

23,534 posts, read 17,211,948 times
Default sounds discriminatory

Used to be strict hiring rules that you couldn't ask where or how far a job applicant lived from the workplace. In other words you could not legally reject a prospective employee because of distance.

It would, however, be made clear that an employee would be terminated if they were chronically late or regularly missed work regardless of cause.

Theoretically you would be restricting the pool from which to select the best person for the job unless the standards are so low it doesn't matter how small the pool or who gets hired.

Can we assume that whatever the rationale for passing such a rule, it would benefit someone's political career or is there a clear economic advantage?

I'd prefer the best performers over the feel good rule of hiring only NJ residents as it would hopefully produce better return for the tax dollar.

Old 02-19-2009, 12:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevemorse View Post
I also think its a good idea but a better Idea for right now is not to hire any state workers.

Amen sister...amen..they need to cut some of that fat not hire anymore

Old 02-19-2009, 12:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kracer View Post
Used to be strict hiring rules that you couldn't ask where or how far a job applicant lived from the workplace. In other words you could not legally reject a prospective employee because of distance.

It would, however, be made clear that an employee would be terminated if they were chronically late or regularly missed work regardless of cause.

Theoretically you would be restricting the pool from which to select the best person for the job unless the standards are so low it doesn't matter how small the pool or who gets hired.

Can we assume that whatever the rationale for passing such a rule, it would benefit someone's political career or is there a clear economic advantage?

I'd prefer the best performers over the feel good rule of hiring only NJ residents as it would hopefully produce better return for the tax dollar.
You can hire some one from out of state with the stipulation they have to move to NJ if they want the job...public servants being paid their salary & benefits by funds provided through taxes of the citizens are usually under a different set of rules then the private sector.

It really isn't all that uncommon through out the country

Old 02-19-2009, 01:00 PM

12,283 posts, read 35,680,039 times
i thought they had to today. for my dad's job, we had to live in hudson county. who knew?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
View detailed profiles of: