Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-24-2009, 04:01 PM

14 posts, read 43,463 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MPBsr View Post
Where's THEIR outrage with black on black crime???
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Brown vs. Monkey: Where’s the Outrage?
By Jehmu Green
Democratic Strategist/Former Clinton Adviser/Former Rock the Vote President

A political cartoon is misinterpreted and African-American organizations and their talking heads immediately see an opportunity to make noise. Meanwhile, a famous black woman is beaten down by her equally famous black boyfriend and commentary in the black community centers around, “What did she do to cause it?” Why are some African-Americans so cowardly when it comes to addressing black-on-black violence? There is no end to the activists’ displays of outrage when racism is perceived. Yet, the silence is deafening, drowned out only by the hypocrisy and ignorance when the perpetrator is black.

The leading cause of death for African- American women ages 15 to 45 is intimate partner homicide. Yes, black men are killing young black women in such high numbers it beats out accidents and every illness you can imagine. Where is the outrage?

Rupert Murdoch may be public enemy number one for the progressive community, but he and his posse at The New York Post are not sanctioning the abuse and killing of black women. The beating Rihanna experienced at the hands of Chris Brown was tragic, but definitely not uncommon. The leading cause of death for African-American women ages 15 to 45 is intimate partner homicide. Yes, black men are killing young black women in such high numbers it beats out accidents and every illness you can imagine. Where is the outrage? Where is the boycott? Where is the speech? I have never received a call to action email on behalf of black women affected by domestic abuse — at a rate 35% higher than our white counterparts.

When the Chris Brown incident became public where was the cry for attention to this issue by the megaphoniacs?

The only commentary posted on CNN.com was written by Leslie Steiner, while one of the most prominent black CNN contributors was ranting about Valentine’s Day. Michael Basden had an “enlightening” exchange on his radio show asking whether or not they should even be discussing the incident. If? Really, Michael? Would he ask that question if a white cop beat up a black boy? Absolutely not.

Some will say it is not fair to compare the monkey cartoon to the “Chrianna” event or police brutality to domestic abuse. It is about priorities, people. It is time to stop hiding our dirty laundry in the closet or making excuses for it. Black-on-black violence is decimating our communities and has been for quite some time. An apology from The New York Post is not going to save the life of any black person. Imagine if the NAACP had publicly pulled support for Chris Brown’s nomination for an Image Award similar to what Wrigley’s Doublemint Gum and the “Got Milk?” campaign did by removing him as a spokesperson? Maybe, just maybe, one young black male would learn an important lesson — never hit a woman. How can gum and milk peddlers have more integrity about their images than the NAACP Image Awards?

It is time for the black community to adopt a zero tolerance policy against domestic abuse. Bottom line: what Chris Brown did to Rihanna was a teachable moment — an opportunity for the black community to coalesce and show the world we are taking action to address a pressing issue affecting us all. Cartoon-gate is a misguided media stunt that will further create a chilling effect on free speech and ultimately have little impact on the lives of black people. To my friends at Colorofchange.org, Al Sharpton’s National Action Network, and the NAACP please put the protest signs down and refocus the media spotlight on issues that actually matter. If you have to boycott something, boycott Chris Brown.

If Chris Brown was white, Al and Jesse would have been on him like white on rice.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-24-2009, 04:19 PM

825 posts, read 3,161,946 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by clearwater80 View Post
If Chris Brown was white, Al and Jesse would have been on him like white on rice.
you know what... that's actually true. forget what I said about this thing being ridiculous, because people are making good points here.

the reason why Al and Jesse would be all over Chris Brown if he was white, is because they are racist pr*cks! I have nothing against the black community and I am not a racist. <--mark my words on that. I'm just not a big fan off Al and Jesse. remember when Al Sharpton spoke out when a bunch of white cops shot a black man in Queens? they're not about improving the african-american community, they're about destroying the white community. i think they make that very clear... it's their little form of "revenge"

look... us white people are sorry we enslaved your people, we treated you like sh*t for over a hundred years. us whites are not proud of that... well, I'm not. I'm not proud that my people did that to another people. we can't even the score though, it wouldn't do any good. the black community is improving. I'm seeing more and more black families moving into nice, safe communities everyday. there are fewer black people than any other race in the world (I've been told, I don't know if it's a true statistic). they are a small, but proud community and the stick together improve their qaulity of life after years of being treated like dirt.

I think that Reverends Sharpton and Jackson, should be more like Reverend King and send out a positive message to the black community in order to help improve the lives of black people.

Old 02-24-2009, 05:21 PM

11,350 posts, read 16,717,087 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by STrapani1105 View Post
you know what... that's actually true. forget what I said about this thing being ridiculous, because people are making good points here.

the reason why Al and Jesse would be all over Chris Brown if he was white, is because they are racist pr*cks! I have nothing against the black community and I am not a racist. <--mark my words on that. I'm just not a big fan off Al and Jesse. remember when Al Sharpton spoke out when a bunch of white cops shot a black man in Queens? they're not about improving the african-american community, they're about destroying the white community. i think they make that very clear... it's their little form of "revenge"

look... us white people are sorry we enslaved your people, we treated you like sh*t for over a hundred years. us whites are not proud of that... well, I'm not. I'm not proud that my people did that to another people. we can't even the score though, it wouldn't do any good. the black community is improving. I'm seeing more and more black families moving into nice, safe communities everyday. there are fewer black people than any other race in the world (I've been told, I don't know if it's a true statistic). they are a small, but proud community and the stick together improve their qaulity of life after years of being treated like dirt.

I think that Reverends Sharpton and Jackson, should be more like Reverend King and send out a positive message to the black community in order to help improve the lives of black people.

I'm sorry that blacks were slaves, but I'm not apoligizing for any one in my family, since we didn't own or contribute to slave ownership.

Old 02-24-2009, 05:28 PM

Quote:
I'm sorry that blacks were slaves, but I'm not apoligizing for any one in my family, since we didn't own or contribute to slave ownership.
well neither did my family. I'm the first generation born in America on my mom's side. and the third on my dad's. but don't you even feel the least bit ashamed?

Old 02-24-2009, 05:39 PM

11,350 posts, read 16,717,087 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by STrapani1105 View Post
well neither did my family. I'm the first generation born in America on my mom's side. and the third on my dad's. but don't you even feel the least bit ashamed?
Like I said, I'm sorry that it happened, but I don't believe in "sins of my father, so to speak".

Old 02-24-2009, 06:11 PM

Quote:
Like I said, I'm sorry that it happened, but I don't believe in "sins of my father, so to speak".
well alright man.

Old 02-24-2009, 06:30 PM

13,814 posts, read 28,509,301 times
me neither...I had nothing to do with it. It would be like blaming a young German kid born 5 years ago for Hitler's doings. White people enslaved black people. Black people sold other black people in slave trading. I wasn't around for any of it, and either were most black people. It's in our past...so just let it go.

Old 02-24-2009, 07:16 PM

1,369 posts, read 4,640,186 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jfkIII View Post
me neither...I had nothing to do with it. It would be like blaming a young German kid born 5 years ago for Hitler's doings. White people enslaved black people. Black people sold other black people in slave trading. I wasn't around for any of it, and either were most black people. It's in our past...so just let it go.
Wow! That is a great point. My paternal great-grandparents came to America from Ireland and were confronted by NINA. Lemme tell ya somethin'....this cartoon is NOTHING compared to what the Irish had to endure. There were political cartoons showing Irish immigrants coming ashore in Cardinal (the Church) gear with teeth sticking out like a shark...

...just sayin!

Shanny

Old 02-24-2009, 07:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfkIII View Post
are you telling me to let it go? cuz I have nothing to let go. why don't you tell those black people to let it go? yeah, you'd get a fist in right in your mouth if you told a black person to let it go. I don't blame them either. We're not them, so we can't understand what they've gone through.

and I know plenty of Jews who feel uneasy about going to Germany, you'd be surprised... I knew people who are German Jews and they call themselves Jewish before German. you see, you're not them, you don't understand. and I'm not them, but I try to understand as much as I can.

and as for the original topic, i didn't think it was a racist. i don't think it was meant to be a racist cartoon. i can see though how people can interpret it as racist.

Old 02-25-2009, 06:17 AM

13,406 posts, read 28,741,978 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shannybannany View Post
Wow! That is a great point. My paternal great-grandparents came to America from Ireland and were confronted by NINA. Lemme tell ya somethin'....this cartoon is NOTHING compared to what the Irish had to endure. There were political cartoons showing Irish immigrants coming ashore in Cardinal (the Church) gear with teeth sticking out like a shark...

...just sayin!

Shanny

Let me clue you in to something Shanny...if ever you get to go to Savannah and do some of the history tours here's a tid bit I found out....

Back in the day they had these big cotton storage places down by the Savannah River..loading the cotton on to the ships was extremely dangerous and many a man lost thier life..well being as slaves were bought & paid for property ( do not agree with slavery) the plantation owners did not want their chattel risking their lives to do this task.....guess who they hired at cheap cheap wage to do it.....c'mom now guess...

The IRISH immigrants..so yeah i agree..if we can let it go all the injustices and discrimination against the Irish when they came over so can black people...there is only so long one can carry that huge chip, the world owes me a living on their shoulders
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey