Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-23-2009, 11:43 AM

23,890 posts, read 33,625,694 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by amb1s1 View Post
"4) Don't assume that you can get the seller to take 10 percent off the asking price. Each home is priced differently, some are priced competitively. A seller who is just on the market within the last 2 weeks won't drop the price as much as someone who has been on the market for 8 months and near foreclosure." I already stated that I'm not assuming that. I'm not in rush to move, if they take the offer good if not try the next one.
Just watch the low balling because there was one guy doing it where I used to live.. my agent was honest with me and told me we were his 5th low ball
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-23-2009, 11:56 AM

1,552 posts, read 4,637,277 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roselvr View Post
Just watch the low balling because there was one guy doing it where I used to live.. my agent was honest with me and told me we were his 5th low ball
And? A "low ball" offer is just that -- an offer. Any seller is free to accept or decline the offer. There is no agreed upon definition of "low ball" offer -- some sellers think anything below asking price is a "low ball" offer, some buyers think that only 50% or below the asking price is a true "low ball" bid. I don't care if it takes you 25 bids, or whether anyone considers them "low ball" or not; bid what you think the house is worth, and not a penny more.

I suppose used car salesmen discuss the "low ball" offers they received, but who cares? All that matters is getting the best value.

Old 02-23-2009, 12:10 PM

2,312 posts, read 7,532,383 times
About the fridge and stove, etc., you can ask that they be included in the purchase price of the house in your offer.

I also agree that you should set your price limit a bit lower and set a little more money aside before you buy. What's the rush? Six month isn't going to hurt anyone, and I'll bet that in the fall sellers will be a more flexible because traditionally there are fewer buyers out there than in the spring.

Old 02-23-2009, 12:25 PM

4,184 posts, read 5,072,542 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by clevedark View Post
What's the rush? Six month isn't going to hurt anyone
if this couple find the home attractive, it's highly likely someone else feels the same... you snooze, you lose

Old 02-23-2009, 01:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JG183 View Post
if this couple find the home attractive, it's highly likely someone else feels the same... you snooze, you lose
Well, there are a lot of attractive, overpriced homes on the market out there right now.

And in fact, snoozing through the housing bubble would have been the biggest way to "win" ...

Old 02-23-2009, 02:12 PM

"...a boom they believe is inevitable and possibly not far off."

Dealers, dreamers see gold in California housing bust | U.S. | Reuters

if it can happen in CA, it can happen in NJ

Old 02-23-2009, 02:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JG183 View Post
if it can happen in CA, it can happen in NJ
You bet it can! Let's see how CA's real estate market has done recently ...

Old 02-23-2009, 02:42 PM

Looks like NJ still has a way to fall, however, before it starts any California Dreamin' ...

Old 02-23-2009, 04:00 PM

non sequitur

(but I'm sure you know I was referring to the potential of prices leveling off, not of them continuing to fall)

Old 02-23-2009, 04:09 PM

2,312 posts, read 7,532,383 times
Yes but these places where prices are cratering, like the Inland Empire and Fort Meyers was all tract housing thrown up to catch the boom. In the case of Fort Myers I know that alot of the buying was speculative and people bought multiple properties thinking they couldn't lose (like my brilliant ex-plumber who owns three houses in Cape Coral).

But who knows, maybe the death of finance as a major economic force in the tri-state area will have the same effect on housing prices.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey