Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-20-2009, 10:19 AM

3 posts, read 13,731 times

Advertisements

Hi! I've been a lurker of city-data on and off...finally decided to sign-up.
Former New Yorker until I got married. Just had a baby and considering a relocation to NJ to be closer to my family in Queens. Hubby and I would be working in either Basking Ridge/Warren.

Priorities:
-under 400K (I know this is low but wouldn't mind a small/fixer upper home in a good area)
-long-term return on investment (even in this bad housing climate)
-Good school district
-no more than 20 minute commute

I'm sure some of this criteria may sound unreasonable, so I'm open to suggestions for afforable towns/hidden gems. I've done some preliminary research using Greatschools + Trulia. Have looked into Flanders/Scotch Plains/Bridgewater/Morris Plains/Somerville/Mt.Olive/Berkeley Heights/Andover. THANKS for your input/expertise!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-20-2009, 10:23 AM

9,124 posts, read 36,385,838 times
Bear in mind that your 15-mile requirement and your 20-minute requirement aren't going to sync up- 15 miles from Basking Ridge or Warren in several directions can easily be a 45-minute commute due to traffic.

Of the towns you mentioned, the one that will get you the most bang for your $400k would be Somerville, but the schools aren't so great (not is the area, IMO). You should be able to find something for $400k in any of the other towns you listed, but it's not likely to be anything too spectacular.

Old 03-20-2009, 10:24 AM

12,283 posts, read 35,694,578 times
Andover, Flanders/Mt. Olive (Flanders is part of Mt. Olive Township) will be more than a 20 minute commute.

There really are no "hidden gems" in terms of bang for buck within 20 minutes of Warren/Basking Ridge, it's an expensive (and beautiful) part of the state. I don't know how far your dollar will stretch in B'water, SP, BH - they are pretty pricey. B'water probably has the lowest price of those 3.

ETA - I actually agree with Bob, but didn't include Somerville...it's the "least desirable" of the towns you mentioned (that being subjective of course).

Old 03-20-2009, 10:30 AM

Thanks for your prompt reply, Bob! My hubby would be working in BR and me possibly in Warren, so I wanted to get a range, just in case. For sure, he will be in BR (Verizon) and my employment would be more up in the air. Just wanted to get an idea of what the possibilities would be and whether relocation would be worth it. We are renting in Maryland right now...intentionally didn't buy over the last few years because of the competititve bidding. Prices have now come down a bit, but now, with the baby, I'd rather be closer to family, and if we can buy a house similar in price to here in MD, than a NJ move may make sense. Any opinion on hidden gems in general, even if it's a bit further out radius-wise...particularly in the BR area?

Old 03-20-2009, 10:34 AM

Thanks, Tahiti...I'll look a bit more into Bridgewater. It definitely helps to get a sense of what towns are perceived as desirable, since at this point, my idea of that is limited.

Old 03-20-2009, 10:36 AM

9,124 posts, read 36,385,838 times
As Tahiti said, there really aren't any "hidden gems" within a reasonable commute of that location. To get a real steal you need to either cross the river into PA, or head out as far as Lambertville or Clinton. Now you're talking about 1-hour commutes on a good day, 2+ if it snows or rains.

I think you're going to have to adjust your commute time to get a decent place for $400k. If you're willing to stretch that out, you could look down into Middlesex County, where you can get good schools and alot for $400k. The commute would be a straight shot about 20-25 miles up 287, and if he was to head in early enough, he could be in the office in less than 45 minutes. Anything within 20 minutes of Verizon HQ has already been driven up in price because of all the folks who want to live close to there, or close to Merck's HQ in Whitehouse.

Old 03-20-2009, 10:49 AM

1,552 posts, read 4,634,376 times
Nothing is "hidden" in NJ; it's all out in the open, and everyone knows about every possible town.

But I'd still say you'd do well just by keeping your commute to under 40 minutes in this area.

Old 03-20-2009, 11:04 AM

7,577 posts, read 22,609,171 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hopeful88 View Post
Former New Yorker until I got married. Just had a baby and considering a relocation to NJ to be closer to my family in Queens. Hubby and I would be working in either Basking Ridge/Warren.

Priorities:
-under 400K (I know this is low but wouldn't mind a small/fixer upper home in a good area)
-Good school district

I'm sure some of this criteria may sound unreasonable, so I'm open to suggestions for afforable towns/hidden gems. I've done some preliminary research using Greatschools + Trulia. Have looked into Flanders/Scotch Plains/Bridgewater/Morris Plains/Somerville/Mt.Olive/Berkeley Heights/Andover. THANKS for your input/expertise!!!
Clinton, Flemington, Highbridge... hunterdon county off of Rt 78

Old 03-21-2009, 09:39 AM

2,093 posts, read 5,461,022 times
Quote:

Priorities:
-Good school district

There are 35 houses on the market is Scotch Plains in your range but i see
You already looked in Scotch Plains , if you are flexible on commute time try Cranford or Even Colonia

Old 03-21-2009, 09:41 PM

132 posts, read 410,533 times
Quote:

Priorities:
-Good school district

I would suggest Green Brook, Bedminster, Long Hill, Stirling, Gillette

All really good school systems
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey