Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-01-2007, 04:11 PM

7,055 posts, read 19,312,201 times

Advertisements

If you're young and want something sort of active or urban near Edison, New Brunswick is probably the best bet. It's an active college town, lots of restaurants, bars, and it's just a great college town. The naysayers here will say "OMG it's noisy and dirty" but they're probably just not the type of people who would like urban living. It's an urban place with its good and bad sides, just like anywhere. Use your common sense and you'll find a good place to live.

Highland Park, across the Raritan River from New Brunswick is a good option too. It's a little town with a Main Street lined with restaurants, some shops, etc. A lot of Rutgers faculty and grad students live there. It's quieter but it's not the cul-de-sac boredom of typical suburbia. Highland Park borders Edison Twp.

Other areas to check out:
Oak Tree area of Iselin, a primarily Indian "Main Street" commercial district
Perth Amboy, cute little city about 15 minutes from Edison, primarily Hispanic immigrant community
Metuchen, smack in the middle of Edison, a little borough with some coffee shops on its Main Street, but a pretty quiet place.
Princeton, getting farther from Edison, but lots of young people. It's got that stuck-up Ivy League attitude and it's expensive.
Rahway, up-and-coming. Not a lot there yet, but the old downtown is starting to renew itself. Some new restaurants and a developing arts community.

Karyn, the places you mentioned:

Linden, historically Polish community, though changing. Nice little main street and a train station on the Northeast Corridor
Roselle Park, not too familiar
Clark, typical suburbia
Old Bridge, snoozefest 2008!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-01-2007, 06:09 PM

9,124 posts, read 36,385,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by karyn818 View Post
what do you think about linden? roselle park? clark? old bridge?
Out of the 4, I'd look into Clark first, Old Bridge second, and then Linden and Roselle are a toss-up for third place. Again, you'll find better schools in Clark and Old Bridge, but cheaper housing in Linden and Roselle.

Bob

Old 03-01-2007, 07:31 PM

3 posts, read 8,409 times
Default thanks bob

thanks bob. i work in linden and was thinking of there but i thought linden was mostly not white, but someone said polish..which is okay. I live currenlty in an irish area (leonardo) love it, but very far for work and i have to sell my house now.. :-( but i also heard clark was good for schools too.. anyone else want to give me their inupt, would be great. thank you for your reply.

Old 03-02-2007, 05:25 AM

9,124 posts, read 36,385,838 times
Karyn-

While I don't have any government statistics regarding the makeup of Linden, a simple drive around the town will quickly show that it "was" predominantly Polish, but sure isn't any more.

One suggestion would be to visit an elementary school near your office and ask them if you can get a quick tour because you're considering moving to the area. You'll quickly get a feel as to the makeup of the school, and you can also ask about any special programs for your child.

Bob

Old 03-02-2007, 07:23 PM

113 posts, read 462,132 times
Avoid Elizabeth. North Brunswick possibly or South Brunswick are both fairly close to Edison. The prevous pot was correct when it was suggested to travel into Monmouth County down Rt 36 as there are many small towns which might have what you want and that drive up the Parkway isn't that bad.
Good Luck

Old 06-07-2007, 04:02 PM

1 posts, read 2,384 times
I'm looking into moving to either linden, avenel or dunellen.
I work in NYC.
Would anyone know how the public transportation and/community are in these areas?
Tks.

Old 08-07-2007, 10:31 AM

1 posts, read 2,325 times
Default Where to live between Westchester County and Brooklyn, NY

I really need some advice on the best places to live that is a half-way point allowing for a commute to Westchester County to work on one end of the spectrum and Brooklyn, NY on the other end. I'm accustomed to White Plains, NY which is a fantastic melting pot of cultures and it has a nice city feel although it is still suburban. I would love to duplicate that if I can, paying between $450K and $600K for a 4 or 5 bedroom house with reasonable taxes. I know westchester so I need help with the boroughs and new jersey only in upscale but not snotty areas where the community is active and friendly and there are very good public schools. I know that Brooklyn is hip, but I question the schools and don't necessarily want to raise my son there. All in all, I need access within 40 minutes to Manhattan for future career opportunities. Any advice?

Old 08-07-2007, 10:40 AM

1,346 posts, read 2,204,631 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziggy19 View Post
I really need some advice on the best places to live that is a half-way point allowing for a commute to Westchester County to work on one end of the spectrum and Brooklyn, NY on the other end. I'm accustomed to White Plains, NY which is a fantastic melting pot of cultures and it has a nice city feel although it is still suburban. I would love to duplicate that if I can, paying between $450K and $600K for a 4 or 5 bedroom house with reasonable taxes. I know westchester so I need help with the boroughs and new jersey only in upscale but not snotty areas where the community is active and friendly and there are very good public schools. I know that Brooklyn is hip, but I question the schools and don't necessarily want to raise my son there. All in all, I need access within 40 minutes to Manhattan for future career opportunities. Any advice?
no place in nj except for northern bergan county offers an easy commute to westchester, so that's where you need to focus your search
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey