Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-29-2006, 05:14 PM

3 posts, read 32,584 times

Advertisements

I just graduated from NC State and am moving to NJ to work in Edison. I have been told Hoboken would be the place I would like most since I am 23 yrs old and would like to be around others my age/around the college scene. However, a decent 1 person apt there is too expensive. Any help in figuring out where the best place to get an apartment (not too far from Edison) would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-29-2006, 08:46 PM

1,248 posts, read 4,056,430 times
Default What can you afford

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProFresh83
I just graduated from NC State and am moving to NJ to work in Edison. I have been told Hoboken would be the place I would like most since I am 23 yrs old and would like to be around others my age/around the college scene. However, a decent 1 person apt there is too expensive. Any help in figuring out where the best place to get an apartment (not too far from Edison) would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
How much can you afford in rent?? NJ is the second most expensive place to rent an apartment after NY State, and it is hard to find an apartment for less than $2,000 a month and without nearly perfect credit.

If you make over $100,000 a year, you have many more options than if you only make $70,000 a year.

You lack of work experience and employment in this region may make it harder given the strong rental market. Typically landlords want to see the last 2 years tax returns & the last 2-4 paystubs as part of the application process. Plus, your annual income must be at least 40 times the monthly rent.

Old 06-30-2006, 04:37 AM

69 posts, read 492,072 times
Default Edison

If you want to live in a college town try New Brunswick Rutgers University is there a alot of Bars and such. it is only 2 towns away from Edison I grew up in Highland Park which is the next town over from Edison.
Good Luck!!

Old 06-30-2006, 09:09 PM

Default Elizabeth or Piscataway ?

Thanks for the help. I found several apartments online in Elizabeth, and Piscataway, which are affordable to me ($48K/yr). Anything I should know about either of these 2 areas? Any other areas recommended? I appreciate the help!

Old 06-30-2006, 09:35 PM

60 posts, read 455,134 times
I don't wish to offend anyone, but I would not live in Elizabeth. I can always tell when we are driving through it, even if our windows are closed. The chemical smell penetrates. I'm sure I'd stop noticing it after a while if I lived there--but I'd still be breathing that air and drinking that water, and the very thought scares me.

Old 07-01-2006, 06:30 AM

9,124 posts, read 36,369,826 times
I wouldn't look at Hoboken, Jersey City, or any of the other cities near NYC- the prices are outrageous.

I live in Woodbridge, which is the town next to Edison. There are plenty of apartments here, as well as in Edison, that should fit your price range. You're within 2 miles of the two largest malls in central NJ, around 8 miles from the Rutgers campus in New Brunswick if you want the college scene, and minutes from the Parkway, Turnpike, 287, and 1 & 9 (Woodbridge is actually the only place in the state that the Turnpike and Parkway cross).

While the area isn't exactly Beverly Hills, its a clean, decent area with reasonable rents and schools, especially compared to some other areas of the state.

One other note, in case you didn't know (and not that it's a big deal)- the Edison/Iselin area has a huge concentration of Indians. They've bought up every store on Oak Tree Road, and it turns into a virtual bazaar on the weekends. Personally, I don't mind it- they keep to themselves, keep their houses/lawns neat, and raise the bar in the schools. But just thought you should know in case it's an issue for you for any reason.

Bob

Old 07-01-2006, 04:42 PM

Default Any more information?

Thanks to everyone, this type of info is exactly what I need. I am leaning toward living in the New Brunswick area, since I haven't found many highly rated apartments in Woodbridge. If anyone knows of a good apartment complex, please let me know. Also, any nice places to stay by the shore that are not too far from Edison? Thanks again!!

Old 07-02-2006, 12:32 PM

6,044 posts, read 24,085,436 times
Look west or south of Edison for more reasonable prices. New Brunswick isn't bad; tons of people your age because Rutgers is right there. If you like the shore area, why not look at apartments in the Monmouth county area, or Brick Township in Ocean County, if you can find an apartment right off of the Parkway? You can take the Parkway to Edison every day; it's not that long of a drive (depends on where in Edison you will be working, and how far from the Parkway you will live, but you should only need to spend appx. 35 minutes on the parkway itself one-way). You may even be able to take a train to work but I am not an expert in public transportation. Monmouth county is lovely and the beach is right there. Check NJ Transit's website if you are interested in public transportation.

Old 07-02-2006, 12:41 PM

538 posts, read 2,457,341 times
Default Nix New Brunswick

I would recommend against living in New Brunswick. For one thing, the traffic there is horrendus, no such thing as rush hour, Route 18 is clogged from 7am to 8pm. They are doing so much work in New Brunswick to bring in upper class people that all roads are bad, under construction, all the time. It can be beyond frustrating. Also, the places to live that are somewhat affordable are either:

a) roach/rat infested
b) in a bad part of town (plenty of bad areas in NB)
c) infested with drunken college students who will urinate and puke on your property.

Typically, all of the above. Take it from me, I grew up there and partied from the time I was 18-23. Every house we went to was run down, filthy, and the college kids destoy everything without regard for anyone. Also, the cops are just dying to bust any kid, for any reason, who looks under 30, just for kicks.

I would suggest that if you work in Edison, go down the parkway to Exit 117, Keyport. Traffic isn't too bad on Route 36. Then travel down 36 as far as you think you could go everyday. The towns get better the further you go. But even Keyport is coming back and is pretty nice now. I worked in Raritan Center in Edison for years and I traveled from Atlantic Highlands. I would recommend Leonardo, Keyport, or the Highlands as good places to live. Plus you have the bayshore ambiance, which is nice. All those towns down route 36 are up and coming and really nice places to live.

Old 07-05-2006, 11:03 AM

2 posts, read 12,871 times
Try Piscataway , NJ......it's a good place to live
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey