Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-23-2009, 12:28 PM

2,510 posts, read 3,977,447 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by angerinthenation View Post
Have you ever been robbed before? Yes.....I've had a car stolen from my driveway...

I'm not saying that you can't be a victim of a crime but you are making yourself look like a fool being overparanoid like this.
Really.......what would you tell the countless numbers of senior citizens that are victims of home intrusions each year who don't look for trouble and bother no one..... because they are vunerable they are viewed as easy prey.......and those that prey on the vunerable are not satisfied with just robbing their victims they seek to brutalize them too. Life isn't what it was in the 50s when you could leave your doors unlocked and come home to find everything still there or sleep in the confidance of the safety of your home.......safety in your own home doesn't exist today and thats confirmed on TV every night in the news. To acknowledge the facts isn't paranoid but to ignore them is just downright foolish.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-23-2009, 03:03 PM

31,771 posts, read 40,705,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyersFan View Post
Really.......what would you tell the countless numbers of senior citizens that are victims of home intrusions each year who don't look for trouble and bother no one..... because they are vunerable they are viewed as easy prey.......and those that prey on the vunerable are not satisfied with just robbing their victims they seek to brutalize them too. Life isn't what it was in the 50s when you could leave your doors unlocked and come home to find everything still there or sleep in the confidance of the safety of your home.......safety in your own home doesn't exist today and thats confirmed on TV every night in the news. To acknowledge the facts isn't paranoid but to ignore them is just downright foolish.
the guy said that most guns arent used properly so clearly he is right when it comes to denying law abiding citizens of their right to defend themselves with firearms. you wouldnt want them to harm a poor criminal who has fallen on hard times and must find some way to earn some cash.

his premise that most guns arent used properly is completely ridiculous and yet liberals take that as if its a fact. how often are law abiding citizens who obtain weapons legally the ones who are using them improperly?

Old 04-24-2009, 08:03 AM

1,198 posts, read 1,626,193 times
If you own a gun for personal defense, you'd better know what you are doing.

If you carry a knife for self-defense, or have a knife in your house for self-defense, you had really better be trained to use it. Weapons retention is an art in itself, especially when dealing with knives.

The idea of 'knife fighting' is silly. You'd be better off investing in a good pair of running shoes. I had two guys pull knives on me last year in Atlantic City. I've been training in Filipino Martial Arts for quite a while now (they specialize in stick and blade techniques) and I wouldn't dream of engaging someone with a knife and trying to defend myself.

Also, there is a severe social stigma that goes along with knives. If you use a knife in self-defense, you will most likely face very severe consequences. If you had time to pull a knife and face someone to engage, you also had time to run away. That's how they will see it. Unless your wife and kids are in severe danger and you can't mobilize them to escape a situation, if you use a knife, life as you know it is over.

Like I said on another thread, people have the right to own guns, and should. At the same time, I think the idea of telling your wife and kids to sit tight while you go downstairs and 'clear the house' is another silly idea. Best bet is to have an escape plan in place, like a fire drill that you structure and practice before it happens. Get your kids and wife out first, then if you want to go back in and roll the dice, it's on you.

Old 04-24-2009, 08:28 AM

512 posts, read 1,755,252 times
The anti-gun people come out in droves. Based on their premise, we should outlaw cars, because bad cars kill people according to them.

Old 04-24-2009, 09:58 AM

13,404 posts, read 28,733,488 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EEEPNJ View Post
Oh no no no. Please don't hijack my post to make it a pro-gun post.... PLEASE.
Sorry EEE but I think your post has been hijacked to a gun vs anti gun argument....
To try and get it back on track...any updates on this story because as I said it sounds fishy

Old 04-24-2009, 07:29 PM

5,340 posts, read 13,953,134 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by njkate View Post
Sorry EEE but I think your post has been hijacked to a gun vs anti gun argument....
To try and get it back on track...any updates on this story because as I said it sounds fishy
LOL you are not kidding, I have not heard more, but I do have some friends in the Paramus PD and they will be BarBQing this weekend for sure!

Old 04-24-2009, 07:48 PM

1,577 posts, read 5,688,474 times
If you leave a light on during the night in a room, the living room for example, the risk of a brake in will drop dramatically.

I don't do it, i use the lock, but if some people are really paranoid, leave a light on somewhere where you can see it from the outside.

Old 04-24-2009, 08:38 PM

I had a break in attempt a few months back. I always lock my doors. Now I do the "leave the light on" thing too.

Old 04-24-2009, 09:12 PM

831 posts, read 2,438,240 times
I hope that the persons theory with the dogs barking works because I do have three, however if the intruder was really that ballsy to come in he or she would probably be shocked to find that all that noise came from little tiny 5lb dogs that you could step on.

Old 04-24-2009, 09:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmccauley View Post
I hope that the persons theory with the dogs barking works because I do have three, however if the intruder was really that ballsy to come in he or she would probably be shocked to find that all that noise came from little tiny 5lb dogs that you could step on.
LOL - I know the feeling.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey