Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-28-2009, 07:59 AM

27 posts, read 100,888 times

Advertisements

You ain't seen nothing yet, wait until the summer is here where:
*- temperature is around 100
*- rush hour (add 1 point if it is a Friday)
*- people is stuck in traffic for an HOUR
*- everyone wants to go home ASAP

BOOM!*

Old 04-28-2009, 08:01 AM

5,273 posts, read 7,348,076 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by izannimda View Post
I always thought that the worst drivers were from Boston.

I did too *as we used to live near Boston* until I moved here!

It does get crazy here...........alot of tailgating..Hell, I am in the middle lane on the Parkway and get my aszz tailed going 75-80!!! wth!

Old 04-28-2009, 08:15 AM

2,213 posts, read 2,845,153 times
Jersey drivers are great. They use their turn signals and usually stay right unless passing. They maintain their lane. They turn their lights on when it's raining.

South Carolina drivers are awful. They never do the above-mentioned activities. One thing that surprised me most moving down here from Jersey is that I'll see on average one car per day with no license plates whatsoever. I think you'd get about 200 feet down the road driving without plates in New Jersey before being thrown on your hood and handcuffed.

One other thing I've noticed, Jersey drivers will give you the finger if you've done something stupid, dangerous, and/or illegal. South Carolina drivers will give you the finger if they did something stupid, dangerous, and/or illegal.

Old 04-28-2009, 08:29 AM

23,558 posts, read 17,232,713 times
Default ratings

worst to less worse
Conn
Mass
NY
NJ

Anarchy on the roads. Rare law enforcement presence. Road antics reflect degrading social behavior. The days post 9.11 caused a politeness never seen before or since. This was because of a sense of unification. No one feels connected because 'laws' do not specifically cover human relations and a sense of community, formerly in place, has 'gone by'.

The disconnect between physical human carnage and poor driving behavior portends a dim future that darkens more than driving behavior.

Using a blinker is a sign of weakness.

yield has become the 'Y' word

the center lane is now the cell phone lane

posted speed limits indicate the minimum speed allowed

the new decal required on the car of teen drivers next year will save lives...we need to solve more problems with decals

If you are driving too slow, ten over the limit in the fast lane, please pull over to allow another lawbreaker to pass you.

Old 04-28-2009, 08:35 AM

1,198 posts, read 1,626,193 times
I agree with NJPhillyFan, I think it's not that the drivers are as much outright bad as aggressive. I have lived in Orlando, FL, and Bucks County, PA and the drivers there were MUCH worse.

I live near the Mercer/Bucks border, and it's almost sad to watch all the PA plates come off RT 1 onto 95 South, then completely clog the left lane (while the middle lane barely has any traffic and the right lane is clear as a bell) and drive 50 mph all the way to PA, and move over 20 feet before their exit. It's terrible.

Old 04-28-2009, 08:45 AM
EB2

1,925 posts, read 6,365,552 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gvsteve View Post
Jersey drivers are great. They use their turn signals and usually stay right unless passing. They maintain their lane. They turn their lights on when it's raining.

South Carolina drivers are awful. They never do the above-mentioned activities. One thing that surprised me most moving down here from Jersey is that I'll see on average one car per day with no license plates whatsoever. I think you'd get about 200 feet down the road driving without plates in New Jersey before being thrown on your hood and handcuffed.

One other thing I've noticed, Jersey drivers will give you the finger if you've done something stupid, dangerous, and/or illegal. South Carolina drivers will give you the finger if they did something stupid, dangerous, and/or illegal.
Sounds far too much like the area I live in. If I had my choice between the way the people here in my area drive, versus NJ drivers...I'll take the NJ drivers. Hell, at least I can safely cross the street with them. Here, we have one of the highest pedestrian/motor vehicle rates in the US (last I checked it was #2 or something)

Old 04-29-2009, 03:56 PM

199 posts, read 526,359 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJmmadude View Post
I agree with NJPhillyFan, I think it's not that the drivers are as much outright bad as aggressive. I have lived in Orlando, FL, and Bucks County, PA and the drivers there were MUCH worse.

I live near the Mercer/Bucks border, and it's almost sad to watch all the PA plates come off RT 1 onto 95 South, then completely clog the left lane (while the middle lane barely has any traffic and the right lane is clear as a bell) and drive 50 mph all the way to PA, and move over 20 feet before their exit. It's terrible.
I thought I was the only one! It seems like more times than not, when I come across someone hogging the left lane and refusing to move over, they're from PA. It seems that they all share this one characteristic. I've also found that many of them decide to be jerks about it and will speed up if you attempt to pass them on the right. It's a constant on the Turnpike, 78, and 202.

Old 04-29-2009, 05:32 PM

8,777 posts, read 19,865,844 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kracer View Post
worst to less worse
Conn
Mass
NY
NJ
LOL.

Worst: New Jersey. I'd rather drive in mid-town Manhattan than drive in Jersey. Truthfully.

Who has the highest auto insurance rates? Ahem, NJ does.

Honorable mention would go to Massachusetts.

Old 04-29-2009, 05:53 PM

1,246 posts, read 4,656,250 times
Let me tell you all. You ain't seen nothing until you drive in Florida. I learned to drive in NYC and lived in NJ for 17 years (Bergen County). I now live in Tampa and I have never seen this amount of bad drivers in NYC/NJ. Someone mentioned the "me first" mentality. It runs rampant down here. If you signal to get over into the lane over, people will speed up, so that you don't get in front of them. People drive a few feet from the car in front, going 75 miles an hour, ignoring red lights, speeding is common place. They get mad at you if you don't speed through the red light. I have heard about more accidents (more serious accidents too) than my years in NYC and NJ.

We moved down from NJ for a job transfer. About 350 families from NY/NJ moved down too. Everyone was shocked by the Florida drivers. Traffic is worse here than in NJ, but not quite as bad as the Long Island Expressway. However, if you happen to get stuck behind one of the MANY accidents that happen daily, you might as well be on the Long Island Expressway. There is no real public transportation. A few buses that have minimum hours. You NEED a car down here.

Kids get their drivers license at 16 and boy do they drive insane and are so obnoxious. Weaving in and out, cursing and flipping people off, driving up your butt, etc. Ahhh,I miss the NJ/NY drivers.

Old 04-29-2009, 05:57 PM

1,577 posts, read 5,688,474 times
pssh Florida is worst
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey