Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-16-2009, 05:59 PM

299 posts, read 1,333,834 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phillip S1 View Post
North Jersey is excellent.... south Jersey is boring
What is boring about South Jersey?? It's got much of what North Jersey has plus more. Major city (Philly) near by, shore, shopping, restaurants, movies,bars, etc. plus pine barrens, state parks, lakes, farms, gambling, historic towns, boating, biking +++++++++

Old 06-16-2009, 06:10 PM

1,574 posts, read 4,756,587 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kappy View Post
What is boring about South Jersey?? It's got much of what North Jersey has plus more. Major city (Philly) near by, shore, shopping, restaurants, movies,bars, etc. plus pine barrens, state parks, lakes, farms, gambling, historic towns, boating, biking +++++++++
.....and great beaches!!

Old 06-16-2009, 07:41 PM

12,283 posts, read 35,700,318 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ Bear View Post
"anyplace that puts you in a good "State of Mind" is good enough for me!"

I'm with you there, that's part of what I tire of in NJ... people are rude, stressed out, etc. OR they maintain their peace of mind by burying their heads in the sand and immersing themselves into the money culture or the entertainment culture or the club scene or whatever. People don't NEED all of that to be satisfied in life ;-) Much of it is just a product of the environment, escapism, status seeking, distraction.
where do you live? this description is not my NJ......

Old 06-16-2009, 08:54 PM

2,653 posts, read 5,963,719 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kappy View Post
Keep telling yourself that.
South Jersey is the shore & AC, that's about it.

Old 06-17-2009, 05:51 AM

34 posts, read 144,006 times
Let me just say this any state that has towns that constantly rank on the best places to live and raise children and other high honors can't be that bad.

New Jersey is just like every other state, good parts, bad parts, overall good place to live, close to everything important.

Old 06-17-2009, 07:03 AM

2,705 posts, read 8,274,470 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ Bear View Post
It's nice to live in an area where you can have fun without spending money.

I'm sure I'll get flamed for this, but your comments such as "People of NJ (for the most part!!) are of a much higher class *culturally* than people from many other states" or "There are good people from all over this country...but from my experiences, people of NJ tend to be more educated, more worldly, and more open to all cultures than people from *most* other states. " are exactly indicative of the pervasive attitude that turns me off and frankly is a big part of why NJ gets such a bad rap. Think about it. People from Nj are actually jsut as ignorant on average as people from everywhere else, they just think that somehow their sense of entitlement, their proximity to NYC, the fact that they can "make it" in the perpetual rat race here, that they go to Broadway shows or have been "keepingup with the Joneses" all these years or that they once saw Madonna walking the opposite direction on the other side of the street, somehow makes them of a "higher class" or more qualified to understand the world than people with different life expereinces. These people think they are oh so unique, so smart, so worldly. You do realize NYC/NJ area people are the number one source of humor in the vacation spots frequented by these folks, right? The reason is this crappy attitude, coupled with the very ignorance that this attitude attempts to cover up. People from the NYC.Nj metro area -tend-, not always mind you, but -tend- to have pretty limited knowledge of how the rest of the world actually works. But they think they know, because they saw it on TV or googled it or went to the museum or read about it once.

I'll tell you what... people who need to brag about their intelligence, "culture", etc. to others usually are just window dressing or living up to some trend or feel the need to be "better" than others. They "know" what "hip" or "cool" is and follow the herd, so therefore they transfer that identity unto themselves. It's pretty silly really. Big whoop, you know all about Wall Street. Tell me where that gets you outside of an urban area? In my experience urban/suburban people are just as ignorant as rural people, if not moreso, just in different ways. Furthermore, at least rural people might have some semblance of an excuse if they don't have cell service, high speed internet, or a book store every couple miles. People in places liek NJ have more access to more sources of information than almsot anyone else, yet on the whole they still only view the world from their own narrow perspective.

Anyway, to entertain you're curiousity... if my family and friends could all come along, I'd long since be in upstate NY, northern VT or NH, or Maine (somewhere north of Augusta). I don't want to live in a cabin in the woods, just soemwhere where you don't have to make double the median US income jsut to afford a modest house, where you can drive 10 miles at 3 pm on a Tuesday and actually get where you're going in the 15 minutes it should take, where communities are really communities, where I'm not surrounded by people who have nothing to talk about but their "status" in whatever manifestation they chose to brag about it, whther it be resturants or cars or jobs or money or shows or whatever.
If you can't find anything to do in NJ that doesn't require spending money, then you're really not looking hard enough. Where the heck do you live?

Your view of NJ residents is really skewed towards the negative. What are you basing your views on, The Real Housewives of NJ??? Seriously. Like Tahiti said, that is NOT my NJ. Not even remotely close.

Your disdain for NJ has shown through...maybe you'd be a happier person if you moved elsewhere. Life is too short to complain about it on message boards. We all deserve to be happy. NJ isn't for everybody, just like Maine, Upstate NY, and New Hampshire aren't for everybody.

Old 06-17-2009, 07:59 AM

1,482 posts, read 3,127,278 times
Quote:
Nope, nice try though. Overall pop. density for state of NEw York is about 400, EVEN WITH the inclusion of NYC and Long Island and the Hudson Valley- one of the largest cities, surrounded by one of the largest metro areas in the world! This accurately reflects the fact that most of NY oustide of the NYC area is rural, but does have numerous smaller urban and suburban areas mixed in- and actually some pretty significant urban areas as well, such as out towards Buffalo. Just as Morris' population density of just over 1000 makes sense for an area that encompasses the urban/suburban fringe
I said most. Not all. You take a COUNTY and call it "Urban" because the entire COUNTY'S average is 0.3% above the "official" marker set for that definition and I cry "foul".

Take NYC, and then start taking the surrounding counties and see how many you would need to make it drop below that magical "1000". I guarantee you will find that many you add to balance the density of NYC are nowhere near ANYONE'S definition of "urban", some even being considered "rural" by most.

So this was not a comparison of the entire state of NY, but of your selective manipulation of context to try to somehow prove your point based on averages rather than what is actually in front of you.

Old 06-17-2009, 08:11 AM

1,482 posts, read 3,127,278 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tahiti View Post
where do you live? this description is not my NJ......

I agree.

It sounds like you are confusing us with some TV show or the stereotypical UES resident.

Also, I don't know where you live right now, but the only thing I heard on the "back porch" when I was living with my folks was cricits, the wind in the trees and the occasional "Train in the distance" (To quote a bit of Paul Simon there...).

After 287 was built through the mountain, you can hear the cars a bit, but seeing how the road is over 2 miles away, the most you hear is something akin to breathing.

It is the same for most of Bergen County AAMOF. And THAT is one of the most densley populated counties in the COUNTRY.

You seem to be angry that you are not earning enough to "compare to the Joneses" and you are making up for your inability to afford what you feel you should have the money to enjoy (or avoid for that matter, just not be denied the choice) by insulting things that you cannot have.

If you compare Belgian Brew to pee (what, you can't say pi$$??!?!?!? I know 4 year olds that can say that!) you feel better with your can of Pabst. It is VERY common to do this in many thnigs in life.

One final thing. When you are trying to convince people that you are worldly, or refute the statement that people are more exposed to other cultures and accepting of differences than in other areas, it would help if you did not insult cultural diversity and differences. It kind of weakens the foundation of your point of argument.

Last edited by Ninjahedge; 06-17-2009 at 08:52 AM..

Old 06-17-2009, 08:14 AM

81 posts, read 226,855 times
My views on NJ and it's people are certainly no more skewed than your views of other people and places. ;-) Look at what you've written!

Again, those who embrace what NJ is about obviously are going to love it. That doesn't mean everyone agrees with you. Looking at NJ objectively when compared with other locales, NJ is an expensive, stressful place to live with a materialistic culture. That doesn't mean this applies to everyone everywhere, I'm just talking about the general/average. For sure, NJ is not "normal" compared with most places in terms of expense, general stress level, or materialistic culture.

And my comment about spending money was a direct response to all of the things people mentioned about the "culture"/dining/entertainment/etc. available here, almost all of which requires spending $. And yes, I do lots of things for fun and entertainment that don't require spending money. I'm fortunate to have friends and family that aren't into that "set", which is a precious thing in this region these days. And while it's inconvenient to have to drive, there is LOTS to do in neighboring states. It would be nice to have all of those opportunities not require a full day or a long drive though, that is one of NJ's big drawbacks. For example, if you like outdoor activities beyond going to the beach or the county park, the local options in NJ are very limited (yeah I know, the people who think they're "in the woods" in Morris County are gonna disagree...). The Pine Barrens do provide some good options, but for me that's farther away than many "bigger & better" areas in NY and PA.

Old 06-17-2009, 08:25 AM

81 posts, read 226,855 times
Oh giv eit a rest! YOU are sounding exactly like the type of person I've talked about here, always needing to get the last word and be right and prove you're better than something. Whatever...

"You take a COUNTY and call it "Urban" because the entire COUNTY'S average is 0.3% above the "official" marker set for that definition and I cry "foul"."

It's simple math. If the average for an area meets the criteria for classification as "urban" their is no mathematical refute to the fact that that area is largely urban, other than the possibility that the population is uniformly distributed across the entire area. Even then, it fits the government definition of urban. Ok so sue me if I agree with the gov't definition based on population density, and not you're personal oponion that it's only urban if it's got a skyscraper. Do high-rises count? Or is there a 70-floor miniumum to qualify as "urban"?

I don't feel that ALL of Morris county is urban, but the majority of it is. Only in the shdow of NYC would someone try to describe Morristown of all places as "not urban".

"You seem to be angry that you are not earning enough to "compare to the Joneses" and you are making up for your inability to afford what you feel you should have the money to enjoy (or avoid for that matter, just not be denied the choice) by insulting things that you cannot have."

How you getthat impression is beyond me. I just stated the obvious, that NJ is damned expensive comapred with most regions and that few people here know hwo to have fun without spending $. That is a reflectionon high COL and materialism, not my income. Could I choose to spend more money on the things NJ-ites generally like to spend their money on? Sure, I just choose not to, and pointed out that this culture is not universal and that much of what NJ brags about is simply irrelevant to other people in other places. If you love it, great! That doesn't mean everyone else so much as cares.

"If you compare Belgian Brew to **** you feel better with your can of Pabst. It is VERY common to do this in many thnigs in life."

I'm a big fan of Belgians. Sorry to burst your bubble.

"One final thing. When you are trying to convince people that you are worldly,"

If you'll recallI wasn't the one trying to convince anyone of my worldliness, just pointing out how so many people in NJ think they are so worldly and special and are always eager to point that out when they feel threatened by people from othe rplaces or when they need to boost their ego by sayinbg they/Nj are "better" than some other person/people/place. For all the hype, there is a lot of insecurity about NJ and it's people and it shows in their defensiveness and put-downs of others.Heck almost this whole thread since my first post has been people getting defensive, putting down other places, or arguing semantics. That's not helping anyone from eleswhere to like what they see/hear about NJ.

" it would help if you did not insult cultural diversity and differences. It kind of weakens the foundation of your point of argument."

I never insulted cultural diversity or differnces. In fact if you read what I wrote it's quite the opposite, I was responding to OTHERS put-downs of other people and places! If you want to accuse me of making a jab at the kind of pop-culture, faux-sophistication one is inundated with in NJ go right ahead though. That's not to say everyone in NJ fits this mold, but it is laughable how many people jump on the "cultural and diversity" bandwagon or for the "green" bandwagon and have no idea what they're talking about. There are lots of people that are very enthusiastic about these things, but how many actually do their homework to understand the issues? Very few from what I see. (for the records I am pro-diversity and pro-environemnt; that doens't mean I have to latch onto thos ethings as my "indentity" however, nor does it mean I believe or embrace everything I'm told or jumped on the bandwagon when such matters became "cool")

Last edited by NJ Bear; 06-17-2009 at 08:49 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey