Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-06-2009, 02:35 PM

2,705 posts, read 8,273,135 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ninjahedge View Post
$10 a liter (or litre) is a decent price. Not great but not cheap, and it all depends on the brau, you know?

$10 for a Coors Light is highway robbery, but for a decent brown ale, octoberfest or other, I would be walking home for sure!
It comes out to like $3.50 for a 12-ounce beer. Where in NJ (outside of a happy hour) can you even get a crappy beer for less than $4 ? Am I missing something? Zeppelin Hall is CHEAP.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-06-2009, 02:42 PM

1,482 posts, read 3,126,817 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tommyc_37 View Post
It comes out to like $3.50 for a 12-ounce beer. Where in NJ (outside of a happy hour) can you even get a crappy beer for less than $4 ? Am I missing something? Zeppelin Hall is CHEAP.
Working in NY, you can get a PITCHER or Rudy's Blonde for, I think, $7, and Rudy's Red for $9. (ALL NIGHT!)

That is just a few blocks away from Port Authority, with free hot dogs!

I remember when they had a special at Mile Square. there was this one Summer Ale they were trying to get rid of, and it was only $2 a pop. The stuff was nice too! But since people did not look very hard, i took them almost a month to kick it!

So you can sometimes get a good deal on things (such as $2 bud nights, although I do not like bud anyway! ) I also think there is a "Bucket of XXX" special at the Black Bear on Thursdays (4 beers for $12.50 I think?) and a good one with 6 sliders and a 22 of Sam's Seasonal, on Wednesday, for $9 ($3 refills).

So I see where you are coming from, but there are places where the cheapies are actually cheap, and other places where you can get some pretty decent stuff cheap. YMMV!

Old 07-06-2009, 04:41 PM

231 posts, read 587,410 times
I don't think I'd heard of this place. I definitely plan to check it out in the very near future.

Old 07-07-2009, 07:28 AM

1,489 posts, read 3,089,219 times
Damn ninja PM me all the good deals you know of, Im aware of the hoboken specials, but not familiar with anything in JC or NYC anymore

Old 07-07-2009, 08:45 AM

Heh, you can try this place to look up some too. Not teh BEST site, but it has most of the listings (I usually use it to find the place I am going to)

newyork.citysearch.com

My experience is limited when it comes to all over town, but I like to pass on what I know.

JC? Not much I know of there, so I will like to visit the Garden soon! (Probably a damn site better than the "Surf Club" or whatever that place was).

Oh, one other place to visit. Not cheap, but worth it. Blind Tiger Alehouse (At Jones and Bleeker). GREAT rotating tap selection. A little more expensive, but for $9 getting a 12 oz of a Belgian that will set your head spinning, or a $6 "He-Brew" pilsner, you will undoubtedly find something you really like!

As for Rudy's? That was a lucky find for me! I have to start looking more. Maybe we can start pooling our finds here!!!

Old 07-07-2009, 09:24 AM

1,489 posts, read 3,089,219 times
Best deal I've found so far is O donaghues in Hoboken on Monday nights. $6 pitchers and free wings. Only complaint is that there is usually 2 options for the $6 pitchers, and one of them always tastes bad for some reason.

But you can always just fork up extra cash and get something that isn't their special and prob tastes right.

Old 07-07-2009, 10:07 AM

Heh. I think it is probably from a stale/tainted line. SOme beers get funky/skunky when they aren't cared for (and others are just plain cheap!!! )

I think Trinity has a pretty decent happy hour as well out by the river. you may want to check that out. Not a bad place to go and grab a few and (sneak) outside to get some food.

Why is it that you don't get any happy hour specials if you are being seated? What is the point in that? And why do they get pissed when you go up and get your own beer when this happens?

Old 07-07-2009, 01:10 PM

576 posts, read 1,597,068 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tommyc_37 View Post
In an expensive area like Jersey City, no less.
Since when is JC expensive? Im gonna go ahead and assume you mean "Downtown" JC. Or is this just another pretentious comment from tommyc?

Old 07-07-2009, 02:24 PM

636 posts, read 1,424,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ninjahedge View Post
Working in NY, you can get a PITCHER or Rudy's Blonde for, I think, $7, and Rudy's Red for $9. (ALL NIGHT!)

That is just a few blocks away from Port Authority, with free hot dogs!

I remember when they had a special at Mile Square. there was this one Summer Ale they were trying to get rid of, and it was only $2 a pop. The stuff was nice too! But since people did not look very hard, i took them almost a month to kick it!

So you can sometimes get a good deal on things (such as $2 bud nights, although I do not like bud anyway! ) I also think there is a "Bucket of XXX" special at the Black Bear on Thursdays (4 beers for $12.50 I think?) and a good one with 6 sliders and a 22 of Sam's Seasonal, on Wednesday, for $9 ($3 refills).

So I see where you are coming from, but there are places where the cheapies are actually cheap, and other places where you can get some pretty decent stuff cheap. YMMV!
You can find cheaper, but Zepp's prices are still cheap.

Old 07-07-2009, 02:27 PM

Never said the weren't MM, maybe just saying they were not EXPENSIVE more than calling them cheap
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey