Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-17-2008, 07:55 PM

5,340 posts, read 13,953,134 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JERSEY MAN View Post
Well I know, Ive patrolled the area for over 30 years.
Good for you- I was mugged and beaten on Danforth Avenue when I was in elementary school and my Mom was carjacked (before carjacking was a word) from right in front of the Collonette Diner too.... so maybe you should tep up the patrols.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-17-2008, 07:59 PM

OMG - wait - if you are a Police Officer in the great state of NJ and you are really against big goverment you'd really be shooting yourself in the foot - no pun intended, now wouldn't you!

Old 08-17-2008, 08:07 PM

Didn't mean any disrespect - but I mean really, you know the deal in NJ. I have nothing but respect for police and other officers of law, but there really is no need to retire making more than the average person busting their hump earns. But thats JMO.

Old 08-17-2008, 08:36 PM

5,818 posts, read 12,628,316 times
Who said I'm retired. They have applications on the desk you want me to fax u 1. Putting 4 kids thru college doesn't leave time to retire. So sick and all, I continue to trudge thru obsticles.

Old 08-17-2008, 09:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JERSEY MAN View Post
Who said I'm retired. They have applications on the desk you want me to fax u 1. Putting 4 kids thru college doesn't leave time to retire. So sick and all, I continue to trudge thru obsticles.
Nah, I'll be working until the day I die... don't you worry.

Old 04-30-2010, 03:25 PM

5 posts, read 14,912 times
my husband and i was looking to rent over in society hill. i have lived in jersey city all my life,and i always though the Mallory ave a nice section of jersey city.
do anyone no of any more place that the city my be building.
if so, Please let me know.

thank you

Old 10-16-2012, 07:48 AM

18 posts, read 73,707 times
its been 5 years since this post,
have things changed in society hill/DP?
is it still a better option to go to bayonne that to buy in society hill/DP??
i am married man in my 30ies with a 17month old kid and i looking for options near nyc to buy a house, currently rently in newport.
short commute and good day care are my priorities.
i was planning to buy in society hill and still keep the baby in the same daycare in newport, i can drop him off and park in newport and come back and pick him up in the evening.
is this a good idea suggestions welcome.

Old 10-17-2012, 09:30 PM

3,921 posts, read 9,130,940 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by samira1 View Post
I want to move to Society Hill. Was checking transportation..If i buy monthly pass for light rail..then can I use Society Hill bus to JSQ for free...? I was thinking of taking light rail in the morning and while coming back want to take bus from JSQ to Society Hill...
Not that it really matters at this point, since you would've already made your decision, but Society Hill is almost 1.5 miles away from the HBLR (at the Danforth Avenue station), and unfortunately, there's no bus that connects you.

What you can do to save money is just take the #80 bus directly to Exchange Place, so you just have to buy a 1-zone bus pass. It's basically the same amount of time as transferring to the PATH at Journal Square because you don't have to go up and down stairs and wait for the train.

Old 10-24-2012, 10:01 AM

1,271 posts, read 3,233,118 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by checkmatechamp13 View Post
Not that it really matters at this point, since you would've already made your decision, but Society Hill is almost 1.5 miles away from the HBLR (at the Danforth Avenue station), and unfortunately, there's no bus that connects you.

What you can do to save money is just take the #80 bus directly to Exchange Place, so you just have to buy a 1-zone bus pass. It's basically the same amount of time as transferring to the PATH at Journal Square because you don't have to go up and down stairs and wait for the train.
The Westside Ave station is closer, I think. I wouldn't go to the Danforth Ave station; that is the dangerous part of Jersey City.

Society Hill is okay. I find gated communities weird, but I suppose others like them. The area immediately around Society Hill is not dangerous or anything, though it gets significantly worse as you go east. Generally west of JFK Boulevard is okay, east of JFK Boulevard is a high-crime area. The bigger problem is that the area is extremely boring, with nothing really going on, and transportation to other areas is not very good. (The light rail is pretty far away, as checkmatechamp pointed out, and driving in Jersey City sucks.)

Bayonne's not great, either, though for somewhat different reasons (provincial, isolated, racist).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey