Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-03-2011, 01:43 PM

61 posts, read 140,114 times

Advertisements

There are three park and rides in wayne.. the Transit Center, Mothers and Willowbrook. All three run buses into Port Authority, NYC (routes 193, 194 and 324).

Parking is either $25 monthly (queue from 5pm on the 19th of each month as these sell out) or $2 daily

Check www.njtransit.com for more detailed shedules and rates.

Once in NYC I generally catch either the A (express) or C (local) subway train to Chambers Street or the E train to WTC. This is assuming you work close to the WTC as I do.

My commute (and this will depend on the time you travel) is generally 1 hour from getting on the bus in Wayne to getting to my desk in the world financial center.

Hope this helps.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-07-2011, 10:22 AM

12 posts, read 86,670 times
Great tx vm everyone. I do work in the WTC area and am considering a move to wayne. This is all very helpful. I am just curious why they never offered a wall street bus service from wayne. I live in east brunswick now and the wall street bus operated by coach is much more convenient it seems. Bighappy987, can u provide more information on the parking situation at transit center? We are looking at homes in the stone bridge development above hamburg turnpike in wayne so I am curious if people drive down to the transit center or they try to catch a less frequent bus on hamburg turnpike. Thanks in advance!

Old 02-07-2011, 01:01 PM

I believe most people drive either to the Transit Center or Mothers.

The 324 runs from Mothers to the Transit Center then express to NYC. The 194 sometimes services these stops after coming down from Stockholm, Newfoundland or Butler. Sometimes the 194 runs express from Butler and doesn't stop at either of the Park n' Rides. Sometimes the 194 services newark Pompton Turnpike and sometimes it doesn't.. The easiest way to figure out which route into the city works best for you is to visit the bus schedules at www.njtransit.com. I tend to change it up through the month depending on my schedule.

Parking is $25 monthly or $2 per day. The parking passes sell out pretty quickly every month but if you line up on the 19th after 5pm you will be ok. Daily spaces might fill up at the Transit Center but if they do you can generally park at Mothers. If I was leaving later in the day and using daily parking I would be more likely to use Mothers as parking spaces are always available. Just check the schedule as buses are less frequent.

Hope this answers your questions. I don't think the commute is too bad but I am able to sleep through that route 3 traffic

The departing / arrival times on the njtransit website I find are pretty accurate.

Old 02-07-2011, 01:07 PM

TX VM BIGHAPPY987! You've been very helpful....I appreciate all your advice. Just a quick question. You say people line up on the 19th after 5pm for parking passes? How does that work? I've never heard of such a practice for passes before. Usually in central NJ, you are either put on a waiting list or you can apply for one and get one rather quickly. But it sounds like the line at 5pm on the 19th is some sort of first come first serve type of arrangement? Also I heard of a premium parking pass, do you know if that is still available and if so do you have any details on it? Tx for all your help!

Old 02-07-2011, 02:08 PM

There are $40 per month premium parking spaces at the Transit Center but I believe they have all been claimed. I have never had one so am not 100% sure what is needed to get one but you could call njtransit for more info.

You would buy the monthly pass from vending machines at the park&ride. People generally get off the bus and join one of the lines. At 5pm the tickets become available and people buy their monthly bus pass and parking pass together at the same time.

Yes, Monthly passes are first come first served.

Old 02-07-2011, 08:16 PM

Thank you vm bighappy987, I have a better idea of which commute to use now and we will look into wayne for our home purchase in the next few months. Appreciate all your advice.

Old 02-14-2011, 02:09 PM

10 posts, read 37,239 times
HI thematrixfx.. are you moving to Wayne for a better commute than East Brunswick? I have commuted from both areas for signficant amounts of time and the EB commute is much better especially if you are going downtown. I personally enjoyed living in EB much more than Wayne - although it tends to be slightly more yuppy.

Old 03-02-2011, 08:44 AM

Hi micky656, I am moving to wayne more for my wifes job. I work in the city regardless and can tough out the commute but my wife drives 100 miles to work from EB to wayne everyday and that is a bit too much. I think living in wayne would make it easier for her. I know my commute would be more difficult with the lack of a direct downtown bus service from wayne compared to EB but its worth it for me to be able to know my wife has a short commute and can easily drop off our 2 yr old and pick him up if anything happens. I actually like living in EB but its more of a convenience for the family's sake to move to wayne.

Old 03-02-2011, 08:10 PM

2,046 posts, read 4,952,109 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thematrixfx View Post
Hi There,

I may be moving to Wayne NJ this year and was wondering which station is closer if I live on hamburg turnpike? Should i head to hawthorne train station or route 23 transit center in wayne, Seems like I will be in the northern part of wayne nj, any advice would be appreciated
you may be walking distance from a bus where exactly in wayne are you there is 194,197,324 and additional buses from willowbrook mall. the 197 goes on back roads as well so it may be closer to ya there are local buses that connect as well to the bus to NYC 748 and 712 for detailed bus advice tell me ur streets of origin and /i can find a good commute.

Old 03-02-2011, 08:15 PM

2,046 posts, read 4,952,109 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thematrixfx View Post
Hi micky656, I am moving to wayne more for my wifes job. I work in the city regardless and can tough out the commute but my wife drives 100 miles to work from EB to wayne everyday and that is a bit too much. I think living in wayne would make it easier for her. I know my commute would be more difficult with the lack of a direct downtown bus service from wayne compared to EB but its worth it for me to be able to know my wife has a short commute and can easily drop off our 2 yr old and pick him up if anything happens. I actually like living in EB but its more of a convenience for the family's sake to move to wayne.
also some buses near you can actually take you to NJT trains give it a go!!!! plus I have a bus map I can give ya the number if ya want it's actually the bergen transit info number located on almost every bergen county njt bus schedule the number has a recording follow instructions then when ya get a person ask for bergen transit guide I know it is hard but njt doesn't make it easy
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey