Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-13-2009, 07:31 PM

2,771 posts, read 6,280,072 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kilhoffer View Post
What about the West Side part of JC? I haven't heard anyone chiming in on that area....I found a really nice place on West Side and Clendenny. Is that area as nice as the Heights and Journal Square
Nah. Stay north of Communipaw. The cheap stuff to the South of JSQ that isn't too bad, is mostly between JFK and West Side.

Quote:
and Downtown?
only downtown is as nice as downtown. The heights and JSQ are reasonably safe, but aren't really comparable.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-14-2009, 08:42 AM

412 posts, read 1,327,938 times
So true the Heights and JSQ are totally uncomparable. Soon as you mention any part of JC its like all those that either lived there yearrsssssssss ago or those that dislike it always have nothing but negative to say about it.

Dun move there you will get hurt move my area its much or safer and pricer, yadda yadda yadda.

I can understand the love for the suburbs but dayum give it a rest. There are a lot of nice areas in JC as those that ARE LIVING THERE NOW, have stated.

Is there problems, ummm yes, that's unaviodable it's a dang city, has just as much problems with crime as NYC and any other city, but if you listen to all the naysayers they would have you thinking every neighborhood in JC is OK corral and it's not.

I'm not knocking the surburbs, hey if you can afford it and you love it cool but dun knock the urban life just because you know have a lavish life away from the hustle and bustle, some folks like living in a city.

Old 08-14-2009, 08:49 AM

1,495 posts, read 5,049,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kilhoffer View Post
We are about to move to Jersey from Oklahoma. My husband will be working in SOHO, so we want to make it an easy commute for him, but don't want the hassle or cost of living in Manhattan - I also want to keep my car! We have two little babies and are trying to figure out the best option for us. We've heard a lot of good and a lot of bad things about Jersey City...we are torn on where to move. Hoboken is too expensive and almost as much of a pain as living in Brooklyn. Jersey City seems like a good fit, but I've heard it's shady as hell in some parts....well, most parts. We are looking at some new townhomes on Pacific Ave. - West of Lafayette close to Liberty State Park. I viewed them on Google Maps and the street views look great, although it looked a bit shady once I went further up Bramhall Ave. Here's the link if you want to check out the specific area: 148 Bramhall Avenue Jersey City, NJ 07304 - Google Maps
Is this part of town too shifty for a family with small children? If so, what can you recommend that will give us a 3 bed 2 bath home under $2000 monthly? I have been using Craig's List and Rent.com.
Any advice on Bayonne? How far would that commute be? Any suggestions would be very helpful. Thanks!!

OH boy don't move to that area on Bramhall. It is way too close to COmmunipaw. Yeah I wouldn't suggest it with having young children. Bayonne is much better if you stay in the 30 something streets, prospect avenue. DOnt know much other parts of Bayonne. You'd be better off in an area like NOrth Bergen, Guttenberg, Cliffside park, which are all still very close to NYC

Old 08-14-2009, 08:51 AM

730 posts, read 2,889,875 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevebri View Post
I've never had much love for Hudson county at all and I lived there most of my life. The only two towns I would even consider living in is Weehauken or Hoboken. As for Hoboken, I would only consider living near Washington ave as the further away you get the more dangerous Hoboken gets. Don't go to Jersey city. It's not safe, at all. Also quality of life is not what it might be in other areas. North Jersey as a whole is very overcrowded, but I imagine this is par for the course no matter what big city you live near. One friend of mine decided to move to North Carolina for the lower property taxes (they are high). You might want to consider Bergen county, but just remember, anything near a train station will be more expensive. In the area I live(upper fairview, Bergen county, right on the tip of Ridgefield and Cliffside Park), there are quite a few for rent/for sale signs. There is also an Express bus that gets to NYC fairly quickly.
You have got to be kidding me. If you consider Hoboken dangerous you should move to Mayberry.

Old 08-14-2009, 10:31 AM

412 posts, read 1,327,938 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LynnePatrice View Post
You have got to be kidding me. If you consider Hoboken dangerous you should move to Mayberry.

Old 08-14-2009, 07:36 PM

467 posts, read 1,490,257 times
I'm not telling anyone where to move and I certainly know that towns like Summit, etc. are wealthy..
I don't know the person's budget, so I do stand corrected...but c'mon yourself someone coming from
Oklahoma to J.C. with two young children? I just wouldn't recommed it..sorry if you are so defensive about J.c...and to answer someone else, I don't live in the suburbs and I'm not "old"...I just have seen
so many things in J.C. go downhill and I couldn't afford to send my kids to private school and buy a house in J.C. when they were young, that was the shame in it, my generation of friends had to go elsewhere to afford something decent...so a lot of my friends did abandon the city for "greener" pastures. Sure they fixed up the waterfront, downtown, and who could afford to buy there? I certainly
couldn't...but you all are right, go to an area, check it out, look at some neighborhoods with a realtor
that knows the city, maybe rent for a while and make a decision...whatever you decide, Good luck.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey