Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-26-2007, 01:05 PM

6 posts, read 43,360 times

Advertisements

Don't know if anyone can help but I will traveling to NY in June and need to get out to Secaucus on a Saturday morning. I have tried to figure it out from all the websites but I just don't have any idea. I'm from Cali so I usually just drive everywhere.

I'm in the Upper West Side and someone told me about Penn Station but is that expensive and where in NJ would it get me? Any tips would be apprecitated.

A taxi won't take me that far will it?

Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-27-2007, 07:03 PM

20 posts, read 188,580 times
Your best bet is to take the NJ transit train from Penn Station to Secaucus Junction. From there you can take a cab to get where you are going. Another option is Port Authority via NJ transit bus to Secaucus. You will need to go to their site to see which bus is closest to where you are going.

Old 04-30-2007, 11:02 PM

169 posts, read 778,203 times
The train from Penn to Secaucus is not expensive.

Old 05-11-2007, 02:15 PM

Thanks for the help. I was able to figure out the bus schedule.

I figure I will just go to Port Authority Bus Terminal and buy the ticket that day.

Now I just have to figure out where I am going through there. I know I buy the ticket on the main floor and I leave from gate 318 I think, so hopefully everything is basic.

How early should I get there to buy a ticket and get to the bus?

Old 05-11-2007, 06:58 PM

163 posts, read 431,174 times
Take the bus. You don't need to be to the Port Authority all that early. Bring cash and buy a ticket from one of the machines on the second floor. The bus will typically show up approximately five minutes before it leaves. Get there a half-hour early to make yourself feel comfortable, and you'll have time to kill--bring a book or something.

Port Authority is a dump (even though better than years ago), but it's fairly easy to navigate. You'll want to be in the south terminal, not the north one--north is the long-distance buses. If you get into the north one, it's only a matter of asking someone, and they'll tell you which direction to walk, or following the signs. (It's all connected.)

I used to work in Secaucus and regularly took the bus there from the city. It's a pretty straight, easy shot.

ETA: When you get on the bus, tell the driver where you're going. It will make you feel better to know you're on the right bus and to let him know up front that you'll need to get off at whatever stop. Don't be surprised if he/she simply grunts at you, though. <g>

Old 05-11-2007, 07:47 PM

Thanks netsirk. makes me feel a little more relaxed getting an idea of the place.

Whne you buy a ticket from the machines do you need to know the bus line and time or does it just dispense tickets that work on any line?

Old 05-11-2007, 08:11 PM

You will need to know the route number and the zone, but that's easy enough--it's right on the machines, by town and stop. (To make yourself feel better, write it down before you get there, and it will be even easier.) You input it and go. No worries, promise. A trained monkey could do it.

And, honestly, if you get panicked, just ask someone else who's waiting. Yeah, people look intimidating (especially if they're in a hurry), but it's a rare person I've met who won't help an out-of-towner. ::shrug:: I grew up here in NJ and worked in the city for many years, and always tried to help people out. I don't think I'm that unique. And, I'll tell you this: I started commuting in at 22, right out of college, and despite being familiar to a degree with the city, having grown up 30 miles outside of it? The whole thing scared me, because it was new. But, in the end, you find it's not that awful; just use common sense.

ETA: You also might want to check out the NY/NJ Port Authority's site. This is the link to the Port Authority Bus Terminal: http://www.panynj.gov/CommutingTravel/bus/html/pa.html (broken link). There's a floor plan there, not that I'm sure it will help you out. But you can see how it's all connected on the second floor, which is where your gate should be.

Last edited by netsirk; 05-11-2007 at 08:20 PM..

Old 05-11-2007, 08:21 PM

thanks again netsirk. You've put me at ease using the bus over there.

I do know the route and the name of the zone I want. I think that I should be ok.

Now I just need to make sure I know the subway system. I figure I'm there for 6 days and will find it handy. Plus I think there was a 7 day unlimited pass I could buy, which will make travelling Manhattan easier and cheaper than taxis.

You've be a big help.

Old 05-11-2007, 08:54 PM

Subway is by far the cheapest, fastest way to go, in most cases. And, it's safe, as far as these things go (there are always aberrations and you should always use good sense).

From the Upper West Side, you're going to want to get familiar with the 1/2/3/9 line. The 1/9 are locals (stop at every stop) and the 2/3 are expresses. Just know the hubs--42nd Street (where you'd get off for Port Authority) is one of them, as is Penn Station (34th Street) when thinking about taking an express. See if you can get a fold-up subway map before you come out. You can always order one online from myriad sources. Or check this out: http://www.mta.info/nyct/maps/submap.htm.

I've always found the NYC subway system to be pretty easy to figure out, aided by the fact that much of the city is a grid. If you're down in the Village, you'll get off at a stop and get a little more turned around, but that's part of the charm and adventure of the city. Enjoy it!

Old 05-11-2007, 11:27 PM

It seems easy but confusing all at the same time. I've been trying to figure it out and I just need to make sure I get which ones are going uptown and downtown, which ones stop at which time and all that. It will take a little studying on my part.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey