Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-17-2009, 02:49 PM

3,814 posts, read 11,987,361 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by katedowney100 View Post
Hey guys it Kate. the login is messed up for my account so I had to create a new one. Did this ever happen to any of you?

Anyway, I just read the article which was linked in the post above. How come it says some states have received up to 59 weeks? We had more than that. if you count
claim: 26 weeks
tier 1: 20 weeks
tier 2: 13 weeks
eb: 20 weeks

That is 79 weeks so far but these articles never say that number. they say 59 weeks. I hope that doesn't mean that people who have gotten 79 weeks are finished. Any input?

thanks
To qualify for the first 13 weeks of EB, states had to have a three-month average unemployment rate of at least 6.5 percent at the time the extension was passed. To qualify for the next 7 weeks of EB, states had to have a three-month average unemployment rate of at least 8 percent.

New Jersey met both triggers, and thus qualified for the full 20 weeks of EB. Some states only met the first trigger; others did not even meet the lower trigger.

In addition, states who triggered at either or both levels had to request funding from the federal government for EB. NJ did request the funding. Some qualifying states declined the federal funding for the extension for their own economic reasons.

So not all jobless in this country have had 79 weeks of benefits available to them -- the number of extensions available to you depends on the state from which you collect benefits.

When you read various published articles, you need to know where the article was published, by whom, to what audience it was addressed -- and when it was originally written.

An article covering Unemployment extensions and addressed to residents of a state where the full 79 weeks are not available, will customize the story to that audience. Because the Internet picks up so much, that story may be distributed to a wider audience -- but that does not mean the content was ever intended for or applicable to the wider audience.

Further, I have frequently seen here links to articles that are months old -- with no explanation of the original publication date.

On a subject like extensions after EB, the news moves quickly. And no one purges the Internet of out-of-date articles. It's really up to the poster to determine when the info was current -- and if it still is current -- and either not to post an old article with out-of-date info, or add an explanation to the posting.

That's why in my posts, I always specify where the article appeared and when -- and I provide a link to the original. In addition, if something in the article is different than what we are experiencing in NJ, I also note that in brackets.

I do not think it's responsible to pass on unverified info to readers of a thread on such a sensitive subject -- unless you let people know that it is unverified. So I don't do it. But, of course, different people have different standards.

Old 09-17-2009, 03:10 PM

7 posts, read 18,239 times
Thanks for explaining that, now it makes a lot of sense. Any little thing you read nowadays makes you worry. Well, hopefully they pass this extension.

Based on any new info, has there been any additional clarity about qualifying? I mean do you think there will be dates that your origional claim had to be filed on or after or... is this simply a 13 week extension to everybody on EB and who have completed EB?
I know I asked this a few days ago, im just still paranoid about what regulation it may have and didnt know if there were any details that have come out that would indicate how it will work. I still have 6 weeks of EB left so im curious If ill be left out ( and ultimately tons of others im sure ).

Old 09-17-2009, 03:30 PM

Quote:
Thanks for explaining that, now it makes a lot of sense. Any little thing you read nowadays makes you worry. Well, hopefully they pass this extension.

Based on any new info, has there been any additional clarity about qualifying? I mean do you think there will be dates that your origional claim had to be filed on or after or... is this simply a 13 week extension to everybody on EB and who have completed EB?
I know I asked this a few days ago, im just still paranoid about what regulation it may have and didnt know if there were any details that have come out that would indicate how it will work. I still have 6 weeks of EB left so im curious If ill be left out ( and ultimately tons of others im sure ).
Unfortunately, it is unlikely that we will have any definitive answers on eligibility until an extension is passed and the states are charged with administering it -- as this often varies from state to state.

Be on the look-out for any statement from Corzine or another official in NJ about how the fourth extension -- when it comes -- will be administered and to whom.

Old 09-17-2009, 03:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dsnbreaker View Post
Originally Posted by mf4576 Here is the list of all the co-sponsors:...

...Above are the supporters of extentions after EB. Contact/continue to contact,,

Good luck everyone
There are currently 34 co-sponsors for HR 3548. Of these 34 co-sponsors, only two are from New Jersey.

Since this a New Jersey forum, those of you who are inclined to be politically active might want to contact the other 11 members of the New Jersey delegation to the U.S. House of Representatives -- who so far have not co-sponsored the proposed bill.

Here is an alphabetical list of all of the 13 members from New Jersey, along with their district numbers. The two who are already co-sponsors are highlighted with the date they signed onto HR 3548.

* Adler, John, New Jersey, 3rd
* Andrews, Robert E., New Jersey, 1st
* Frelinghuysen, Rodney, New Jersey, 11th
* Garrett, Scott, New Jersey, 5th
* Holt, Rush, New Jersey, 12th
* Lance, Leonard, New Jersey, 7th
* LoBiondo, Frank, New Jersey, 2nd
* Pallone Jr., Frank, New Jersey, 6th
* Pascrell Jr., Bill, New Jersey, 8th - 9/10/2009
* Payne, Donald M., New Jersey, 10th
* Rothman, Steven, New Jersey, 9th - 9/14/2009
* Sires, Albio, New Jersey, 13th
* Smith, Chris, New Jersey, 4th

Old 09-17-2009, 03:45 PM

7 posts, read 18,239 times
Good call. I guess we will just have to keep our eyes opened for the info. It is really up in the air. This means, at this point, there is no guarantee that an approved extension would actually mean that everybody who received EB will get it. It could be but also may not. It will be up to NJ, as diorgirl said, to decide how to spread it out. here is how it worked in NJ so far:

Tier 2 didn't regulate the dates. as long as you had tier 1 you got tier 2 ( as long as NJ was triggered for the program)

EB did have date regulations ( the date of origional claim had to be march 23rd 2008 or later to qualify for eb..amongst other things ) and as I mentioned in previous posts, I just made it by about 20 days!

It will be a shame for those ( possibly including myself) who miss out on this new extension even though we got EB ....if they impose another regulation about when your origional claim date was filed.

The question now is wether or not they will use the tier 2 guideliness and just add the 13 weeks on or...will they regulate it like they did on eb and cut some people out? Only time will tell. As mentioned before, it is way too premature to celebrate. this extension will happen yes but we do need to wait to see how they regulate it. Even though we got EB, we may not all qualify for this one. Im keeping my fingers crossed. I suspect those who have already ran out and those who run out prior to the signing will definitely be in the clear. Im worried more about people like myself who have a good 6 weeks left of EB.

Old 09-17-2009, 03:52 PM

Quote:
here is how it worked in NJ so far:

Tier 2 didn't regulate the dates. as long as you had tier 1 you got tier 2 ( as long as NJ was triggered for the program)

EB did have date regulations ( the date of origional claim had to be march 23rd 2008 or later to qualify for eb..amongst other things ) and as I mentioned in previous posts, I just made it by about 20 days!
Kate -- this is an excellent example of the unpredictability of eligibility! Thanks for noting it!

Old 09-17-2009, 03:59 PM

5,616 posts, read 15,547,988 times
i got eb and my original claim was really and I am not lying May 2007!!! I was doing my 26 weeks and it ended in Dec 2008. So that is really odd, how did I get EB then??

Old 09-17-2009, 04:07 PM

23 posts, read 60,468 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevemorse View Post
i got eb and my original claim was really and I am not lying May 2007!!! I was doing my 26 weeks and it ended in Dec 2008. So that is really odd, how did I get EB then??

I got EB, too, and my original claim was before March 23rd 2008.

Old 09-17-2009, 04:10 PM

87 posts, read 180,835 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick1963 View Post
I got EB, too, and my original claim was before March 23rd 2008.
i got eb and my original claim date was 7/07.but it also says if you got tier 2 and exhausted you claim the week of march 21 ,2009 you were eligible for eb

Old 09-17-2009, 04:36 PM

348 posts, read 470,656 times
The way I see it, if you got the original EB, you would get this one, thats why they are pushing for it to go through so fast. Although you never know?? FYI, in my case, my last call in for a check was Sept 1st arrriving Fri Sept 6th. I don't think Eligibity will be a issue, however I do think it will be with H.R. 3404. I'm just thinking out loud, any ideas?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey