Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-25-2009, 08:24 AM

12 posts, read 37,768 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SweepTheLeg View Post
Plus, don't forget the insurance headaches you'll have for homeowner's insurance rearding the tank.

Just WALK AWAY. If the sellers are as deceitful about this, you have no idea what else is lurking.

Absolutely
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-25-2009, 08:53 AM

1,552 posts, read 4,635,045 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shaunamc View Post
I'm not emotionally attached to the house and I have no problem walking away (although I would hate to do so) but there's absolutely no way in hell I'm contributing a penny towards this.
I'm sorry you had this bad experience, but please trust your instincts and walk, nay, RUN AWAY from this house, and never look back.

We've had a number of threads in this forum about leaking oil tanks and the devastation they can cause for both the environment and a homeowner's finances. This stuff is NOT covered by new homeowners insurance policies.

It's worth repeating: NEVER BUY A HOME WITH AN UNDERGROUND OIL TANK!

(And for any and all homeowners out there, if you have an underground oil tank, get it removed and have your soil tested and certified clean now ... this is not a problem you can sweep under the rug and it will come back to bite you down the road. And if you bought the house years ago before this became a big problem, you're probably in luck because your old homeowners insurance probably covers it ... so get it taken care of.)

Old 08-27-2009, 06:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lusitan View Post
I'm sorry you had this bad experience, but please trust your instincts and walk, nay, RUN AWAY from this house, and never look back.

We've had a number of threads in this forum about leaking oil tanks and the devastation they can cause for both the environment and a homeowner's finances. This stuff is NOT covered by new homeowners insurance policies.

It's worth repeating: NEVER BUY A HOME WITH AN UNDERGROUND OIL TANK!

(And for any and all homeowners out there, if you have an underground oil tank, get it removed and have your soil tested and certified clean now ... this is not a problem you can sweep under the rug and it will come back to bite you down the road. And if you bought the house years ago before this became a big problem, you're probably in luck because your old homeowners insurance probably covers it ... so get it taken care of.)

True!

Old 08-27-2009, 06:48 AM

861 posts, read 2,718,861 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeatherLynn822 View Post
I feel your pain!!!!!!

We just put a bid in on our 3rd property, the whole process is enough to drive a saint crazy.

I, unlike you though, have away of finding myself sentimentally attached to each & every property.

Is there anyway you could get 15K credit off the sale price for this....?

Here's an update for ya.... LOST the 3rd house we bid on.... it had been on the market since April with no bids, we come along and bid and then outta nowhere comes another bidder who can close in 3 weeks paying ALL CASH. WTF!?! I am the most upset about this one. I really loved it. You happen to have $230,000 cash just laying around and you have to come along and pluck up my tiny condo instead of investing it in something bigger!!! Grrrr.... the serach continues....

Old 08-27-2009, 07:41 AM

3,223 posts, read 9,632,962 times
I'd walk away. What's a few more weeks or months finding a better home with ur hard earned money.

Old 08-27-2009, 08:42 AM

Quote:
Here's an update for ya.... LOST the 3rd house we bid on.... it had been on the market since April with no bids, we come along and bid and then outta nowhere comes another bidder who can close in 3 weeks paying ALL CASH. WTF!?! I am the most upset about this one. I really loved it. You happen to have $230,000 cash just laying around and you have to come along and pluck up my tiny condo instead of investing it in something bigger!!! Grrrr.... the serach continues....

that's awful. I'm searching again and hoping something better comes on the market. Good luck!

Old 08-27-2009, 02:34 PM

250 posts, read 683,617 times
Walk away ! They withheld information....they lied....what else did they lie about?!

Old 08-27-2009, 05:24 PM

2,865 posts, read 9,369,693 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shaunamc View Post
I need to Vent!

So after 14 long months of househunting and seeing EVERY house in Maplewood/Union and certain parts of South Orange that's been on the Market, I finally found a home 6 houses away from my daughter's school (Clinton) which was not a short sale/foreclosure/Bank owned etc and the owners already moved out and capable to closing quickly. All seemed to be going well until today, which was supposed to be the final day of Attorney Review. When asked about the oil tank that was once underground and all paper work/certificates etc relatated to the tank removal the Sellers drop a bomb! The Tank Leaked and they have a quote for 15K to fix it...as if that's not bad enough they expect the buyer (ME) to pay for it.

This wasn't disclosed to their agent (seller) nor to me until today. I'm so livid, it's not even funny. The audacity of these sellers!

I'm not emotionally attached to the house and I have no problem walking away (although I would hate to do so) but there's absolutely no way in hell I'm contributing a penny towards this.
Run, Don't walk away. Even the 15K could be a lie. I don't want anyone to go thru that, its living He-l. They have no idea if groundwater has been contaimaminated. I did not even list my home until I had that final letter from the Dep. That may be required also. Find another house as you don't know what else they may be hiding.
I had a $235,000 leak + cosmetic things that my insurance did not cover. I was lucky that at the time my insurance picked up the big chunk.
Find another house , and move on Fast! They don't deserve to sell their home.

Diane G

Old 08-27-2009, 05:27 PM

2,865 posts, read 9,369,693 times
Quote:
Best of luck in finding a new condo.

Diane G

Old 08-27-2009, 07:41 PM

2,312 posts, read 7,528,693 times
Wow, that's sleazy.

I'm sure you'll find something. BTW, a similar thing happened to us--we put a bid on a house that had been on the market for a year and boom, all of a sudden there's another bid. It seems fishy, doesn't it?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey