Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-24-2009, 05:58 PM

47 posts, read 144,853 times

Advertisements

My friend has to go up there for awhile. What's it like?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-25-2009, 08:10 AM

1,463 posts, read 4,690,238 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by treegirl17 View Post
My friend has to go up there for awhile. What's it like?

It's one of the bigger towns in NJ. Very diverse. Route 1, the turnpike, and the parkway all converge on the area, which helped its population growth.

The town government is in disarray.

What kind of story are you looking for? It's a suburb, one of the larger ones in Jersey.

Old 09-25-2009, 09:22 AM

1,289 posts, read 6,096,399 times
Everything that SweepTheLeg has said is true. I will also add that the town does mix suburbia with business areas. Everything near Route 1 is more business oriented and the areas like North Edison are more suburbian.

Old 09-25-2009, 11:51 AM

1,463 posts, read 4,690,238 times
I see you're from WV, and I'm going to guess Morgantown as a reference - I've been down in that area before.

So here's your translation guide:

Bill Stewart = Greg Schiano

Pittsburgh = New York City

Pop = Soda

Pepperoni Roll = Fat Cat

Let's Go Mountaineers = RU Rah Rah

In all seriousness, there's a lot of shopping (two major malls within 10 mins of each other), you're 40 mins from NYC via the train (Metropark - think the PRT on a much, much bigger scale) and about 1:20 from Philly.

Old 09-25-2009, 04:12 PM

1,552 posts, read 2,445,714 times
The township is easily divided between two sections, North and South Edison. North Edison is mostly upper middle class and white collar while South Edison is working/middle class and very blue collar. A small town, Metuchen, cuts right in the middle of the town like a doughnut hole. Edison also has the largest percentage of Asian Indians out of any town in the US.

Has Menlo Park Mall a really nice mall, Roosevelt Park, a large county park, Raritan Center, a large industrial park, and many stores along Routes 1 and 27.

Old 09-26-2009, 07:35 AM

31 posts, read 36,806 times
Tons of Indians. Harolds New York Deli is the best Deli in the World, it is in the lobby of a Holiday Inn near the turnpike. THIS IS A MUST EAT experience.

Old 09-26-2009, 08:59 PM

877 posts, read 2,838,354 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by benlouix View Post
Tons of Indians. Harolds New York Deli is the best Deli in the World, it is in the lobby of a Holiday Inn near the turnpike. THIS IS A MUST EAT experience.
Oh yeah, everything is giant-sized! You can feed three people with those sandwiches. I've gone there a handfull of times just for those Reubens and Knishes.

You also have Edison Diner down Rt 1 which I'm always at late at night.

Old 09-27-2009, 01:52 AM

4,085 posts, read 8,784,320 times
Edison is a nice town, and a big one. Mostly middle class, a few upper middle class areas and a few lower middle class areas. Mix of blue and white collar. Plenty of "big box" shopping as well as small stores and shops. Convenient to several major NJ highways.

Edison is close to New Brunswick and Piscataway, where Rutgers is. Rutgers and the city of New Brunswick offer a good amount of dining and entertainment options. The college food is excellent; RU is known for their "grease trucks" and the "fat menu" of sandwiches. I just had a Fat Philly earlier this evening; it had cheesesteak, gyro meat, chicken fingers, mozz. sticks, french fries, lettuce, tomato and "white" sauce (gyro sauce). Tons of other great food, also, for example "Stuff Yer Face", known for their great strombolis, is the place where chef Mario Batali first started cooking while he was at RU.

NYC is not far from Edison, either. So if your friend is up in Edison for work, and gets bored or wants to see some sights, NYC is an easy option, too.

Old 09-27-2009, 01:33 PM

1,057 posts, read 1,917,820 times
Hope your friend likes Indian food.

All in all Edison is a decent town. In addition to what everyone else said, it also has a good number of corporate centers, too, so that's in the mix. It's really pretty much the most centrally-located place in NJ, as the Parkway/Turnpike/Rt. 1 all converge there. You can get anywhere fairly quickly.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey