Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-05-2007, 01:16 PM

18 posts, read 50,580 times

Advertisements

Hello all. I have lived in Atlantic Highlands my entire life (33 years), and have always been into being vegan, eating organics, homeopathy, attached parenting, etc. With the closing of Second Nature (health food store in R.B.), and Down to Earth (vegan restaurant in R.B.) we are at a loss as to where to go. The other area health food stores don't carry much of what I look for and Whole Foods is a corporate joke.
I'm wondering if there is some secret society of natural living people that I just can't find. It seems like not many people around here are into this stuff. Can anyone help me find likeminded people and good places to shop - I'm drowning in mainstream society!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-05-2007, 01:48 PM

1,453 posts, read 4,929,134 times
Too bad about the closings. There is a restaurant called Kayas which is not too close to you but probably worth the trip(in the town of Belmar). I have never eaten there but heard it is excellent. You could ask the manager/owner about local shopping options. Ah, the curse of the burbs- too far from the city and far away from any true university towns.
Forgot to add- you can start a meetup group online for your area. I just checked and for the Mercer/Hunterdon area they have a vegan/raw group with over 100 members. Unfortunately it meets in Princeton mostly. Check out MeetUp. You could start one in your area if there is not one already. I noticed there is a group for people who like to play boardgames and it has over 200 members. I would think that you could find many others with the same focus. I would hope so. My mom was macrobiotic for the last 10 years of her life and she lived in Red Bank for five of those years. This was more than 15 years ago now and somehow she managed but she did find it much easier in the area of Florida that she later moved to.

Last edited by cyntmac; 05-05-2007 at 02:11 PM..

Old 05-05-2007, 02:13 PM

31 posts, read 225,730 times
It's not much of a schlep ...the closest Trader Joe's is in Westfield.... I've also been meaning to go here...http://www.georgestreetcoop.com/ in New Brunswick. The brands they carry are pretty mainstream (by that I mean they are carried by WholeFoods). Try doing a find for co-operative farming although there doesn't seem to be anything by RB.

Old 05-05-2007, 06:48 PM

82 posts, read 109,824 times
I live in Atlantic Highlands as well and I am also into the raw/vegan lifestyle. For me there is no option other than Whole Foods.

Old 05-10-2007, 01:39 PM

I find that WF is too mainstream for my tastes. Too much stuff that I could get in a regular food store. They do definitely have some great stuff. But for the most part, I have to go to Deans. They have homeopathic stuff, they have more vegan friendly food, they have a live juice bar, and a great supplements employee.

Old 05-10-2007, 05:33 PM

244 posts, read 1,050,315 times
I agree with JoeR. Whole Foods in Middletown is great.

Old 05-10-2007, 09:00 PM

Deans is excellent as well. Whole Foods is just more convenient for me.

Old 05-11-2007, 02:26 PM

I have nothing against WF, it's just the one in Middletown isn't as good as the others I've been to - the Edgewater store is amazing; as is the one in Union Square. The others I've been to have vegan bakery goods as well. That's really what it comes down to for me. I shop at the WF every week for groceries, but I have to supplement that shopping trip with a trip to Dean's as well.
I read about this great website, organicexpress, and was very excited to order fresh produce from them, until I researched the page a bit more thoroughly and realized that it didn't serve NJ.

Old 05-11-2007, 02:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomWaits View Post
I've also been meaning to go here...http://www.georgestreetcoop.com/ in New Brunswick. The brands they carry are pretty mainstream (by that I mean they are carried by WholeFoods). Try doing a find for co-operative farming although there doesn't seem to be anything by RB.
I've been meaning to check out this co-op as well, along with the purple dragon. Does everyone check out the farmer's markets as well?
We go to the RB one every Sunday and buy our fill of Farmer Ed produce!

Old 05-11-2007, 07:55 PM

Where's the farmers mkt in Red Bank on Sundays?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey