Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-18-2009, 02:30 PM

9,375 posts, read 20,793,722 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by angerinthenation View Post
This here. To me personally, there's a positive and a negative to both mass transit and driving in NYC. Either way, you gonna have to cash up. If you're broke, don't even THINK about going to New York. Just stay home. If you wanna do it the other way, you can go on the Tappen Zee and pay 5 dollars and find your way to NYC that way.
Hell, if you are going to the Tap, you might as well go a little further up to Bear Mountain, and pay the 1 dollar (is it still a dollar?) and then come back down through Westchester County! It's longer, but less stressful and more scenic!

If you want to cross the Hudson for free, though, and you are really ambitious, you'll have to drive up 9W through Newburgh and Albany, and cross the Rensaelear (sp?) Bridge, then come back down on US 9. There's the answer to a trivia question for you. Can you get from NJ to NYC in a car without paying a toll? And the answer is: yes!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-18-2009, 02:57 PM

1,057 posts, read 1,918,167 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KellyKdros View Post
Don't listen to that clown he just seems to complain about everything. Ocean County is really nice and beautiful. Of course your characterization of Caldwell is kind of unfair - like Ocean County it "is what it is", both have their pluses and minuses and both are nice. Also you say you have bars etc. but you are comparing a whole county to one town so it's apples to oranges. But don't let the clown sucker you into badmouthing Caldwell just because he badmouthed Ocean County like a clown.
Ha. I'm not trashing the place by any means. Plenty of nice folks in town from everyone I've met. Just seems a little low-key. My GF is actually from Mercer County and moved there for her grad school, so maybe it's just because she doesn't know many of the local hot spots yet, but it doesn't seem like there's a lot to do locally. Maybe people from there mostly hang out in NYC on the weekends?

Old 11-18-2009, 06:33 PM

88,554 posts, read 84,738,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike0421 View Post
Hell, if you are going to the Tap, you might as well go a little further up to Bear Mountain, and pay the 1 dollar (is it still a dollar?) and then come back down through Westchester County! It's longer, but less stressful and more scenic!

If you want to cross the Hudson for free, though, and you are really ambitious, you'll have to drive up 9W through Newburgh and Albany, and cross the Rensaelear (sp?) Bridge, then come back down on US 9. There's the answer to a trivia question for you. Can you get from NJ to NYC in a car without paying a toll? And the answer is: yes!
Good one, I did not know that.

Old 11-18-2009, 06:57 PM

2,653 posts, read 5,960,101 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RobRiguez View Post
NYC also uses the bridge and tunnel fees as a deterrant during rush hour. Many large cities around the world do this. London for example, charges 8pounds or about $16 to drive into London. Its not a bridge fee. Its a fee to help cut down on congestion.
Wow................. You could not be more wrong.
All Hudson river crossings are controlled & operated by the Port Authority of New York & New Jersey.
They work for both states. The fees on the GWB have NOTHING to do with controlling congestion in NYC & more to do with PANYNJ's bloated payroll & bureaucracy.
You stated your outright falsehood with conviction though. I guess that counts for something.

Old 11-18-2009, 10:56 PM

345 posts, read 643,068 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by openheads View Post
Wow................. You could not be more wrong.
All Hudson river crossings are controlled & operated by the Port Authority of New York & New Jersey.
They work for both states. The fees on the GWB have NOTHING to do with controlling congestion in NYC & more to do with PANYNJ's bloated payroll & bureaucracy.
You stated your outright falsehood with conviction though. I guess that counts for something.
Well if we're going to be technical and point out falsehoods, it should be mentioned that the Tappan Zee and all Hudson crossings north of that point are under the jurisdiction of the State of New York, and not the Port Authority. In fact, the TPZ was constructed where it was in order to be just outside of the Port Authority's influence. The more you know!

Old 11-18-2009, 11:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PureNarcotic View Post
Well if we're going to be technical and point out falsehoods, it should be mentioned that the Tappan Zee and all Hudson crossings north of that point are under the jurisdiction of the State of New York, and not the Port Authority. In fact, the TPZ was constructed where it was in order to be just outside of the Port Authority's influence. The more you know!
Who gives a CRAP about the Tappan Zee in the NJ forum? Maybe Northern Bergen Co?
You understand full well the context of this discussion. We are talking about NJ/NYC crossings.

Just to drive my point home................................. JKF/LGA/NWK, The World Trade Center, Port Of Newark, PATH, ect are controlled by PANYNJ. They play the fence & have to appease both sides of the Hudson (Upstate conveniently excluded).
NJ has a say in what goes on at the WTC site, NYC's airports. NYC has a say as to what goes on at NWK airport, PATH train, Jersey ports, ect.
The high cost of the GWB has NOTHING to do with NYC congestion....................

Again, Who cares or even considered the Tap?

Old 11-19-2009, 12:12 AM

Were you to scroll up just a little bit on page 4, you'd see there was some discussion involving not just the TPZ, but also the Bear Mountain Bridge as a cheap, scenic, albeit unnecessarily long route to get from NJ to NYC while avoiding the GWB.

Quote:
Again, Who cares or even considered the Tap?
The thousands of people from both New York and New Jersey who creep their way across it during rush hour on a daily basis? I think they care.

Regardless, you called out someone for a falsehood, yet made a blatantly false statement in that same post, and I pointed that out.

Old 11-19-2009, 12:28 AM

Quote:
Were you to scroll up just a little bit on page 4, you'd see there was some discussion involving not just the TPZ, but also the Bear Mountain Bridge as a cheap, scenic, albeit unnecessarily long route to get from NJ to NYC while avoiding the GWB.

The thousands of people from both New York and New Jersey who creep their way across it during rush hour on a daily basis? I think they care.

Regardless, you called out someone for a falsehood, yet made a blatantly false statement in that same post, and I pointed that out.

But the point still remains that DIRECT NJ/NYC crossings are not high because of congestion regulations.
That's absurd............................................ ......

I mean, if this argument makes your upstate self feel better, than okay.

Old 11-19-2009, 10:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by openheads View Post
But the point still remains that DIRECT NJ/NYC crossings are not high because of congestion regulations.
That's absurd............................................ ......

I mean, if this argument makes your upstate self feel better, than okay.
Ok. This comes from a 2007 press release from the PANYNJ

Quote:
The Port Authority was the first entity in the region to incorporate congestion pricing when it adjusted its tunnel and bridge tolls in 2001. The current proposal will further incorporate congestion pricing to encourage off-peak driving
Press Release Article - Port Authority of NY & NJ

Old 11-19-2009, 02:51 PM

Quote:
Ok. This comes from a 2007 press release from the PANYNJ

Press Release Article - Port Authority of NY & NJ
I stand corrected & appalled at the same time.
So the PA is basically taxing NJ citizens to reduce traffic in NYC?

Wow!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey