Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-13-2010, 08:58 PM

2,510 posts, read 3,977,447 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoPhils View Post
If I were homeless I'd deal with the cold and "move" to Canada. With all those loonies and toonies if someone gave you a handful of change it might be like ten bucks.
Have you ever been to Canada in the winter ? Half my relatives are from Toronto and beleive me you don't want to be standing on a street corner panhandling for loonies in January if you can be standing on a corner someplace in Florida.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-16-2010, 09:25 AM

4 posts, read 6,316 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jknic View Post
Oy vey. Look, NJ is nice, FL is nice. Which one you like more depends on who you are. If you bash N.J., you probably don't know it well enough, same goes for F.L.
I knew FL quite well. I lived there for 18 years. It sucks! NJ is awesome!

Old 02-16-2010, 12:59 PM

5,969 posts, read 9,565,938 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJLoverinNC View Post
I knew FL quite well. I lived there for 18 years. It sucks! NJ is awesome!
I totally agree.

Florida Losing Population | thepinehillsnews.com

Old 02-17-2010, 08:25 PM

8,489 posts, read 20,648,553 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyersFan View Post
I understand.....I've seen them in Camden too, especially under overpasses......but give them time and eventually they will migrate to warmer climates.
New Jerseys homeless population is about .20% of the population and Florida is about .26%, 6/100ths of a percent, hardly a huge difference. Every other southern state is lower than NJ.

The states with the highest Homeless population are Oregon, Cali, Nevada, Washington and NY. Mississippi has the lowest rate at .05%, with South Dakota and Kansas at #2 and #3. There does not seem to be a huge correlation between warm weather and homelessness.

Old 02-17-2010, 08:27 PM

8,489 posts, read 20,648,553 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DailyJournalist View Post
Still using that flawed report I see.

They never seem to mention that they overstated the population by 150,000 in the report the year before.

Old 02-17-2010, 08:30 PM

9,375 posts, read 20,804,115 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Peterson View Post
New Jerseys homeless population is about .20% of the population and Florida is about .26%, 6/100ths of a percent, hardly a huge difference. Every other southern state is lower than NJ.

The states with the highest Homeless population are Oregon, Cali, Nevada, Washington and NY. Mississippi has the lowest rate at .05%, with South Dakota and Kansas at #2 and #3. There does not seem to be a huge correlation between warm weather and homelessness.
But there does seem to be a west to east correlation, if your figures are to be believed. Living in New Mexico, just east of Arizona, makes me think your figures are solid. The most homeless people I've ever seen were in no short order, the big three West Coast cities: 1) Seattle, followed by 2) San Fran, and 3)Portland claiming the bronze. New York doesn't seem to fit, though. I used to think NJ was bad when I worked in Newark, JC, East Orange, Irvington and Paterson. These places have nothing on the cities in the states you've cited, however.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey