Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-08-2010, 10:53 AM

50,807 posts, read 36,501,346 times

Advertisements

Plus, our kite surfers don't get eaten by sharks....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-08-2010, 11:06 AM

25 posts, read 30,015 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ReluctantGardenStater View Post
Ugh, the winters here are just miserable. I don't know about anyone else, but I don't enjoy waking up to a pitch black sky in freezing temperatures, having endless gray days, shoveling snow, dealing with icy and hazardous road conditions, etc.

Oh, and I don't really care if places like Buffalo or Minneapolis are worse. Quite obviously they are, but I have no desire to live in one of those places either.

Florida's weather is beautiful.
Except of course when those hurricanes come, right

Old 02-08-2010, 03:03 PM

1,638 posts, read 3,639,437 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BergenCountyJohnny View Post
Today there is a blue sky and hardly any wind/breeze at all. It is very cold, but nothing like what you'd get in the Plains/Midwest or New England. It's actually very pleasant weather for walking or running or hiking outside.

We have many days like this in NJ, as well as many grey, cloudy days. But NJ is far rom being "just miserable" in the winters.

It's fine if you don't like grey days - neither do I - but don't mischaracterize NJ unfairly just because of a hate or prejudice against the state. It can't be that bad here, it provides people with homes and jobs that they can't find elsewhere, which is why they stay here despite professing how much it's better elsewhere.

Florida's weather IS beautiful, I agree, but the summers are too hot and humid, nonstop - even the rain (downpours) just creates more humidity and steam. Each place has its pros and cons.
As far as providing homes and jobs and being a seemingly happy state, that's for another debate, so I won't get into that, but pertaining to the weather, I will just say this:

Today was nice. It was chilly of course but it was a fine clear day. A day or two ago, however, I was en route to QuickChek at around 6:00AM, checked the temperature in my car, and it was 13 degrees. THIRTEEN. Regardless of the good days now and again, Florida never has to deal with these types of ridiculous temperatures.

You must know what I'm referring to as I'm sure the temperature wasn't any different between Essex and Bergen.

Old 02-08-2010, 03:48 PM

1,793 posts, read 3,351,165 times
Quote:
As far as providing homes and jobs and being a seemingly happy state, that's for another debate, so I won't get into that, but pertaining to the weather, I will just say this:

Today was nice. It was chilly of course but it was a fine clear day. A day or two ago, however, I was en route to QuickChek at around 6:00AM, checked the temperature in my car, and it was 13 degrees. THIRTEEN. Regardless of the good days now and again, Florida never has to deal with these types of ridiculous temperatures.
You must know what I'm referring to as I'm sure the temperature wasn't any different between Essex and Bergen.
They DON'T?? What do you call 95 with 90% humidity by 8 in the morning? I'll take 13 degrees over choking and dehydrating any day of the week.

Old 02-08-2010, 04:42 PM

4,085 posts, read 8,789,213 times
Quote:

Awww, thirteen degrees, I'm sure that's painful for people who wear skirts, but for most of us the occasional 13-degree morning isn't the end of the world. I have family in Montreal and have been there where 13 degrees is practically welcome after days of below-0 (F) weather. I've also spent a couple winter months in Edmonton which is even worse. In NJ we're not at all "block heater" territory, so as much as I hate the freezing cold, I also know that it could be far worse.

And Florida does get their below-freezing days. It's rare, but to say "Florida never has to deal with these types of ridiculous temperatures" is wrong. And I know from spending many months in Florida that it's no picnic walking to the car in 90+ degrees w/ 80%+ humidity, having to squeegee the windows and getting coated with a moist film of condensation...

The point earlier, however, is that for someone to complain that NJ's winters are grey and dark is very misleading and would only be said out of ignorance or a desire to lie about NJ so as to bash the state. Because it's simply not true. Montreal has grey winters. Seattle has grey winters. NJ has winters that have some days of grey and some days of sunshine. Sometimes we get consecutive days (even up to around a week) of one of those types of days, but we never have a mostly "grey" winter as they get in much colder, harsher winter weather cities.

FYI - over the weekend, the South got smacked with snow and I saw nary a flurry in my part of NJ. Of course, for me to use that one incident to even suggest that our weather is milder than the south's would be either ignorant or a lie, either way it would be wrong...

Old 02-08-2010, 04:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by soulsurv View Post
They DON'T?? What do you call 95 with 90% humidity by 8 in the morning? I'll take 13 degrees over choking and dehydrating any day of the week.
Your preference. I won't.

Old 02-08-2010, 04:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BergenCountyJohnny View Post
Awww, thirteen degrees, I'm sure that's painful for people who wear skirts, but for most of us the occasional 13-degree morning isn't the end of the world. I have family in Montreal and have been there where 13 degrees is practically welcome after days of below-0 (F) weather. I've also spent a couple winter months in Edmonton which is even worse. In NJ we're not at all "block heater" territory, so as much as I hate the freezing cold, I also know that it could be far worse.

And Florida does get their below-freezing days. It's rare, but to say "Florida never has to deal with these types of ridiculous temperatures" is wrong. And I know from spending many months in Florida that it's no picnic walking to the car in 90+ degrees w/ 80%+ humidity, having to squeegee the windows and getting coated with a moist film of condensation...

The point earlier, however, is that for someone to complain that NJ's winters are grey and dark is very misleading and would only be said out of ignorance or a desire to lie about NJ so as to bash the state. Because it's simply not true. Montreal has grey winters. Seattle has grey winters. NJ has winters that have some days of grey and some days of sunshine. Sometimes we get consecutive days (even up to around a week) of one of those types of days, but we never have a mostly "grey" winter as they get in much colder, harsher winter weather cities.

FYI - over the weekend, the South got smacked with snow and I saw nary a flurry in my part of NJ. Of course, for me to use that one incident to even suggest that our weather is milder than the south's would be either ignorant or a lie, either way it would be wrong...
I said this in another post addressing weather. I never claimed New Jersey is the coldest state. Personally, I'm not concerned with the winters in Michigan, Minnesota, Maine, Wisconsin, North Dakota, much of Canada, etc. I have no desire to ever live in those places, although some are nice to visit. The fact remains that 13 degrees is unpleasant.

Below freezing, yes. Occasionally you are right. That usually doesn't equal the low teens though... 31 degrees and 13 are very different beasts.

You don't need to tell me about Florida's weather. I have family all over the state and have been there more times than I have been to New York (no lie). I have also stayed for extended periods of time, in the Tampa area, in Sarasota, in Tallahassee, and in the Orlando metro. Not during January either, but the heart of July and August. It can be unpleasant some days in the dead of summer. Would I rather it be 75 or 80 than 90? Yes. Would I take 90 or 95 over 13 or anything else below freezing? So quick it would make your head spin.

I don't bash the state, but I do try to pierce the "paradise" image of the many people who talk about New Jersey, because it's dangerous. NJ is very overhyped/overrated, and as long as people understand that people have varying and diverse opinions on the issue, then fine.

Old 02-08-2010, 05:50 PM

50,807 posts, read 36,501,346 times
It is cold...but it is not dark and gray, that is the point. If someone who had never been to jersey just went by this thread, it makes it sound like we have no sun in winter, and it's just not true. According to this World Facts and Figures - Weather Facts and Statistics we have more sunny days per year than Orlando. All personal opinion whether you like cold weather, just objecting to posts which seem misleading.

Old 02-08-2010, 06:14 PM

3,269 posts, read 9,936,557 times
We almost moved to FL (Sarasota) a couple of years ago. I really wanted to but in the end I just couldn't raise my kids there. Terrible schools, homeless people sleeping out downtown, gang crap, sex offenders galore. Stuff you just don't see in suburban neighborhoods in NJ. So here we are.

Old 02-08-2010, 09:34 PM

2,510 posts, read 3,977,447 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Obrero View Post
We almost moved to FL (Sarasota) a couple of years ago. I really wanted to but in the end I just couldn't raise my kids there. Terrible schools, homeless people sleeping out downtown, gang crap, sex offenders galore. Stuff you just don't see in suburban neighborhoods in NJ. So here we are.

Hmmmmmm.....sounds a lot like Camden and most of New Jerseys "cities" ?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey