Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-23-2007, 11:39 PM

10,219 posts, read 15,939,614 times

Advertisements

So what's this business about not being able to pump your own gas in New Jersey? I've heard about this very recently.

This just really baffles me. How can voters in your state not overturn something as ridiculous as this? The only arugment I've heard is that it helps the economy by creating jobs. What's the economic purpose of it....creating low-skilled, low-paying jobs? I've heard some teens and college kids do it over the summer but can't they just be waitresses or lifeguards? According to everyone i know those are a lot more enjoyable (and profitable) than pumping gas all day.

And how are gas station owners not complaining? Forcing them to hire extra people and paying more and making their operations more expensive. Every other state in this country doesn't have this law. Can anyone actually explain the logic, the reasoning behind this? its a job that is not necessary and owners have to pay workers they otherwise would not hire. If I was in the gas business I would not just accept something like this. Also don't these low-level jobs also attract illegal aliens?

Oh yeah and how much are we supposed to tip them anyway....just in case I ever stop to get gas in Jersey.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-24-2007, 04:51 AM
GJM

465 posts, read 1,880,853 times
It has been like that forever - and you don't tip them!

Personally for me I HATE to pump my own gas. I lived my whole life in NJ and just moved to SC. I really can't understand why someone would want to pump their own gas.

In the winter and when it is raining it was nice NOT to have to get out of the car.

Old 05-24-2007, 05:37 AM

11,350 posts, read 16,717,087 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Terrapin2212 View Post
So what's this business about not being able to pump your own gas in New Jersey? I've heard about this very recently.

This just really baffles me. How can voters in your state not overturn something as ridiculous as this? The only arugment I've heard is that it helps the economy by creating jobs. What's the economic purpose of it....creating low-skilled, low-paying jobs? I've heard some teens and college kids do it over the summer but can't they just be waitresses or lifeguards? According to everyone i know those are a lot more enjoyable (and profitable) than pumping gas all day.

And how are gas station owners not complaining? Forcing them to hire extra people and paying more and making their operations more expensive. Every other state in this country doesn't have this law. Can anyone actually explain the logic, the reasoning behind this? its a job that is not necessary and owners have to pay workers they otherwise would not hire. If I was in the gas business I would not just accept something like this. Also don't these low-level jobs also attract illegal aliens?

Oh yeah and how much are we supposed to tip them anyway....just in case I ever stop to get gas in Jersey.
You can make fun of us all you want with full service. We still have the cheapest gas in the country.

Our gas prices with full service just proves the point that the rest of the country is being ripped off more than we are since you HAVE to pump it yourself.

Old 05-24-2007, 06:23 AM

1,398 posts, read 7,707,070 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MPBsr View Post
You can make fun of us all you want with full service. We still have the cheapest gas in the country.

Our gas prices with full service just proves the point that the rest of the country is being ripped off more than we are since you HAVE to pump it yourself.

Exactly...instead of complaining about a situation that dosen't affect you why not complain about having to pay more per gallon AND having to pay for the privledge of pumping your own...

BTW..I worked pumping gas and other minor tasks as summer jobs during summers. It is my understanding that business insurance rates are greatly reduced when every Tom,Dick,and Harry Don't have access to the pumps. I've never been a service staion owner but was told this by the owners. This I'm sure is slightly reflected in the lower pump prices in NJ.

Old 05-24-2007, 06:26 AM

3,377 posts, read 14,633,156 times
I pumped gas backed in the 60's as a teen and it was a great way to make extra cash. We always cleaned the windshield and checked the oil. Checking the oil is good for business (and tips). It's good for oil sales obviously and once the hood was open we were trained to give the engine compartment a once over and look for signs of leaks etc., which then could be pointed out to the vehicles owner which equals a repair job for the station. Nowdays none of that is done. Most of the stations in N.J. are owned by imigrants and many times it's the family members and friends who work the station. It's their ticket to stay in the country. As for pumping my own gas, I'm not interested. I would much rather pull into a station and remain seated while someone else does it, I don't get wet, hot or cold. And as the other posters said, you don't tip them, we don't pump our own and we still have the lowest prices in the country. My only suggestion to you is if you travel through NJ frequently make sure you top your tank off in another state this way you don't need to be burdened by stopping here for gas, paying less and having someone else do it for you.

Old 05-24-2007, 06:52 AM

11 posts, read 59,385 times
Default Gas attendants

I don't mind pumping my own gas, but it sure is nice on a rainy day to not have to. We don't tip the gas attendant. The one I go to most frequently is owned by an immigrant family. The man who serves us is always so pleasant and he keeps a box of milk bones handy for the dogs.
Our gas is cheaper than in NY where you do pump your own. I think there's more important things to worry about. If you want to get outraged ask why we charge people to go on the beach in NJ. Having someone pump our gas is minor. "Jersey Girls don't pump gas" unless they have to leave the state

Old 05-24-2007, 07:05 AM

29 posts, read 141,042 times
Anytime I'm in Jersey, I make sure I fill up (gas prices are low) and I don't have to get out to pump. I love it. This Philly girl will be moving to South Jersey next month and I can't wait to not have to get out and pump my gas.

Old 05-24-2007, 07:13 AM

91 posts, read 477,153 times
Default Refineries

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBrown View Post
Exactly...instead of complaining about a situation that dosen't affect you why not complain about having to pay more per gallon AND having to pay for the privledge of pumping your own...

BTW..I worked pumping gas and other minor tasks as summer jobs during summers. It is my understanding that business insurance rates are greatly reduced when every Tom,Dick,and Harry Don't have access to the pumps. I've never been a service staion owner but was told this by the owners. This I'm sure is slightly reflected in the lower pump prices in NJ.
I beleive you pay less because of the beautiful refineries NJ has. It the main reason everyone outside of Jersey thinks all NJ is, is the refineries and stuff up in the Newark area. Of course Jersey people know differently.
I live down in Georgia where I have to pump my own gas. I prefer doing it myself. I'm twice as quick as the understaffed, overworked teenager that pumps up in Jersey. I can understand some of our more mature citizens prefering to have someone pump it for them. It's always funny watching out of towners when they pull into the pump up in Jersey. They can't believe it when someone comes to pump their gas.

Old 05-24-2007, 07:22 AM

1,346 posts, read 2,206,151 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KMRsurf View Post
I don't mind pumping my own gas, but it sure is nice on a rainy day to not have to. We don't tip the gas attendant. The one I go to most frequently is owned by an immigrant family. The man who serves us is always so pleasant and he keeps a box of milk bones handy for the dogs.
Our gas is cheaper than in NY where you do pump your own. I think there's more important things to worry about. If you want to get outraged ask why we charge people to go on the beach in NJ. Having someone pump our gas is minor. "Jersey Girls don't pump gas" unless they have to leave the state
the reason there are charge for beach access:

if you want to go to a beach with guards, a beach that has rest rooms, a beach that gets cleaned daily, guess what, you're going to pay for it!

Why should the locals pay to maintain a resort destination for you?
there is a myth that the beaches belong to everyone and everyone should be allowed on the beach for free, that is true, and in the next paragraph you'll hear about places with free access, but if you want to use a clean, guarded beach, the money to pay the personel has to come from somewhere and the taxpayers don't seem to want higher taxes to provide free beaches, so the costs are passed onto the users.

That said, there are many FREE beaches in NJ that you can go to, I am assuming you are from north jersey, Sandy Hook is free, but parking is $10, there are miles of free beaches in sea bright, parking is limited. There is free access in Monmouth Beach, parking available but fills quick, Elberon and deal have free beaches but you're going to have to park blocks away.

In addition all the beaches that do charge admission fees stop collecting at around 5pm, coincidentally that's when the guards go home.

Old 05-24-2007, 07:25 AM

1,346 posts, read 2,206,151 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LawrencevilleGA View Post
I beleive you pay less because of the beautiful refineries NJ has.
you haven't been paying attention!

the main reason NJ has lower fuel prices is the level of STATE fuel taxes imposed.
Even georgia has it's own refinaries, so transport costs aren't much of an issue
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey