Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-15-2010, 07:47 AM

14 posts, read 26,696 times

Advertisements

Hey everyone! I just moved to Westwood, NJ from Maine for a job and I could really use some information about the area. I'm a 33 yr old female with a domestic partner and a 4 yr old son. I have heard great things about the city overall but am lacking on some very big recommendations.

For instance:

My son will need to be in daycare full time. Do you have any suggested places?

What hospital is best in this area? And can anyone recommend a good family pratice doctor?

Cablevision or Fios?? LOL

Where's the best general shopping, and what supermarket has the best selection and produce around?

Again, any information would be helpful!

Thanks in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-15-2010, 07:55 AM

777 posts, read 2,381,085 times
Welcome to Westwood!

I can answer a few questions. I think Valley Hospital in Ridgewood or Hackensack are best.

Cablevision or Fios is debateable. We just switched to Fios but were lied to about discounts and found the customer service was terrible so we are switching back to Cablevision and getting a better deal.

I think Stop & Shop in Emerson or Trader Joe's are best for produce.

I have 2 young kids but they aren't in daycare. I'll ask around.

Last edited by Kevin1975; 01-15-2010 at 07:57 AM.. Reason: spelling

Old 01-15-2010, 08:08 AM

4,085 posts, read 8,789,213 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nrvsgolden View Post
Hey everyone! I just moved to Westwood, NJ from Maine for a job and I could really use some information about the area. I'm a 33 yr old female with a domestic partner and a 4 yr old son. I have heard great things about the city overall but am lacking on some very big recommendations.

For instance:

My son will need to be in daycare full time. Do you have any suggested places?

What hospital is best in this area? And can anyone recommend a good family pratice doctor?

Cablevision or Fios?? LOL

Where's the best general shopping, and what supermarket has the best selection and produce around?

Again, any information would be helpful!

Thanks in advance.
Daycare - I don't know, but there is a reputable place called "Lollipop school" in Park Ridge, close to Chestnut Ridge Rd, they have been around for a long time.
Hospital - The Valley Hospital in Ridgewood
Cable or Fios - If you sign up by tomorrow for Fios they have good deals - I just switched from Cablevision to Fios today, to be installed next week.
Shopping:
Supermarket - Shoprite in Hillsdale is best for overall selection, price, quality - prices are the best
Trader Joe's is excellent also
Since you'll be working up in Woodcliff lake (if you're that same person) you would want to go to DePiero's farm in Montvale (on Grand Ave., just off Chestnut Ridge Rd) for the best produce - for the most part they are the freshest and cheapest, but sometimes they have a price or two that's too high

For general shopping you are 5 minutes from Paramus where you can find just about anything else. In Westwood you have a downtown area with some shops and down Broadway you have a shopping center with a KMart, TJMaxx, and several other stores. For health/beauty/cosmetics/toiletries go to Harmon in that shopping center, they have the best prices and selection for that stuff.

Welcome to the Pascack Valley and best of luck!

Last edited by BergenCountyJohnny; 01-15-2010 at 08:16 AM..

Old 01-15-2010, 08:16 AM

14 posts, read 26,696 times
Default Thanks all!

Thanks everyone for the info! Johnny, I am indeed the same poster and finally nailed down a place this week. I truly am excited to be settled and start exploring this place.

Kevin, thanks for the heads up on everything and if you hear anything on the daycar front, that would be fantastic.

You guys are the best!

Old 01-15-2010, 08:34 AM

Westwood is nice, you'll like it.

Last edited by Viralmd; 01-15-2010 at 09:22 AM.. Reason: NO solicting

Old 01-15-2010, 08:40 AM

Ok got a referral...Carousel on 3rd Avenue in Westwood.

Old 01-15-2010, 10:14 AM

Sorry just got another one, Cradle to Crayons was also recommeded to me.

Old 01-18-2010, 02:37 PM

123 posts, read 568,443 times
Carousel in WW and Loving Touch in Hillsdale are good for daycare.

ShopRite in Hillsdale, Trader Joe's in WW and A&P in Washington Twp are good...when A&P has sales, they tend to be GREAT.

Valley Hospital is in Ridgewood and by far the closest. Hackensack University Med. Center is in Hackensack and is very desirable...they currently have a satellite ER at the old Pascack Valley Hospital site in Westwood on Old Hook Road which we are hoping to have reopened soon...there is a lot od drama going on regarding the reopening, and Pascack Valley residents are really pushing for it.

Welcome to Westwood, you will love it here! It is a great small town and a tight knit community who pulls together for their neighbors.

Old 01-18-2010, 05:15 PM

12,380 posts, read 26,856,553 times
I live next to Westwood , its a great town. Alot of Friendly people, As for all the key points , everybody else has already told them. Accept some things , All commercial stores & shops are closed on Sunday, due Bergen County blue laws , something that my mom side of the family passed back in the 50s. NYC, Jersey City / Hoboken are 40-50 mins away by train which i'm taking tomorrow. FIOs is way better and cheaper then Cablevision. I switched 2 years ago and won't go back. Trader Joe's is not a regular supermarket or Market its a specialty market and its expensive. as for which hospital is best , Hackensack & Englewood are great for most things but for emergencies , just say Valley.

~Corey
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey