Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-28-2010, 10:06 AM

13,406 posts, read 28,744,978 times

Advertisements

Well I think that most of us in the private sector would be appalled if every Tom, Dick & nosy neighbor could just go on line & have access to what salaries we made....imo a big down side of working in the public sector
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-28-2010, 12:47 PM

9,124 posts, read 36,396,090 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kimchee View Post
No joke! My MIL is a teacher and I'm shocked at how much she makes! And teachers get the summer off too! Ok, granted they do have to work about 9-10 hours a day if you factor in grading and preparing for class but they get summer off!

I'm so in the wrong career.
C'mon....that's as big of a falacy as the "we're so underpaid" bit. While there are exceptions to the rule, most teachers are in at 7:30 and out by 3, with an occasional late night for parent-teacher conferences, etc. The whole "I need to prepare lesson plans, grade papers, blah, blah, blah" is a joke- when you're teaching the same stuff every year, you don't have to start new lesson plans from scratch, and the teachers get "planning periods" for that stuff anyway.

I've got plenty of friends who are teachers, and I've got several as neighbors currently, and none of them are working "9-10 hour days". Besides, even if they were, most folks making $60-80k/year are doing that any way, and not getting the whole summer off.

Old 01-29-2010, 10:22 AM

2,942 posts, read 6,010,159 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shawm View Post
Hahaha. I know. It's actually to our benefit that people believe the fallacy that teachers are underpaid. I honestly make more money than most of my friends, but they think just the opposite.
Don't worry - the good times are coming to an end. Time to bust the NJEA.

Old 01-29-2010, 11:22 AM

3,859 posts, read 9,984,450 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobKovacs View Post
C'mon....that's as big of a falacy as the "we're so underpaid" bit.
The "we're underpaid" bit is about as real as the "War on Christmas"-it's a straw man argument. My wife is a teacher and believes she is adequately compensated monetarily for what she does. Not to mention the pension, benefits, and time off.

Quote:
While there are exceptions to the rule, most teachers are in at 7:30 and out by 3, with an occasional late night for parent-teacher conferences, etc.
It would seem to follow that the teachers need to be at the school at the same time the students are at the school.

Quote:
The whole "I need to prepare lesson plans, grade papers, blah, blah, blah" is a joke- when you're teaching the same stuff every year, you don't have to start new lesson plans from scratch, and the teachers get "planning periods" for that stuff anyway.
If my kid is one day being taught by someone who has been recycling the same stuff for 20 years there's going to be a problem. HVAC technicians, mechanics, engineers, etc...all have to periodically go to school or do some other type of professional development to learn new methods, keep current, and stay on the cutting edge of what they do. Why should we expect less from teachers? I'll tell you why, because education simply isn't valued in this country.

Quote:
I've got plenty of friends who are teachers, and I've got several as neighbors currently, and none of them are working "9-10 hour days".
If you look at teaching simply as how many hours you're putting in, quite frankly, you suck at what you do. You're a cancer on the profession, you're doing a disservice to the kids, and you should leave teaching immediately before you screw anymore of them up.

Finally, if teaching is so great, why aren't you doing it? I'll tell you why I'm not. I got a degree in education, (that's how I met my wife-in college) did my student teaching, after a semester, realized that it's the most thankless job a person could have and that I have little tolerance for human beings between the ages of 14 and 17, and ran screaming away from the teaching profession. Now I sit behind a desk and put in 60 hour weeks for less money than my wife, but I love what I do.

Old 01-30-2010, 11:38 AM

259 posts, read 662,605 times
LOL @ teachers recycling the same lesson plans and material. Furthest thing from the truth. My wife is a kindergarten teacher and every year they are constantly updating the curriculum. There's a lot of hate for teachers on this board, so everyone here groups teachers as grossly overpaid. Yet not one of them has any idea the requirements to become one. Of all teh states in the country, it is harder to be teacher in NJ than everywhere else. Thats why NJ leads the country in graduation rate and testing scores.

Mod cut

Last edited by Viralmd; 01-30-2010 at 11:55 AM.. Reason: Not necessary and rude.

Old 01-30-2010, 12:03 PM

1,931 posts, read 3,415,415 times
Just to clear things up the hating on educational system and teachers has become 100% political. 99% of the time your have the Rep. bashing teachers and Dem. fondling over them. Thats the problem with education, but of course thats too easy to see.

Old 01-30-2010, 12:09 PM

Quote:
C'mon....that's as big of a falacy as the "we're so underpaid" bit. While there are exceptions to the rule, most teachers are in at 7:30 and out by 3, with an occasional late night for parent-teacher conferences, etc. The whole "I need to prepare lesson plans, grade papers, blah, blah, blah" is a joke- when you're teaching the same stuff every year, you don't have to start new lesson plans from scratch, and the teachers get "planning periods" for that stuff anyway.

I've got plenty of friends who are teachers, and I've got several as neighbors currently, and none of them are working "9-10 hour days". Besides, even if they were, most folks making $60-80k/year are doing that any way, and not getting the whole summer off.

Overpaid as some of you put it is a relative term. Overpaid compared to what? Compared to a Cop in Cranford who does what exactly? Compared to a Pharmacist who does what exactly? Compared to a full time real estate agent that makes 100k easy? Compared to a garbage man who makes 60kto 80k? Compared to an R.N. that makes 120k easy? Compared to who are teacher overpaid? Everyone points out what teachers make at the top but why not look at the 7 to 10 years it take most teachers to get above 50k. Of course that wouldnt help your argument so you dont do it, but I'm just saying.

Old 01-30-2010, 01:41 PM

2,771 posts, read 6,278,400 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bababua View Post
Everyone points out what teachers make at the top but why not look at the 7 to 10 years it take most teachers to get above 50k. Of course that wouldnt help your argument so you dont do it, but I'm just saying.
It helps my argument just fine -- my argument is not that every teacher is overpaid, it's that the compensation system is broken because it rewards seniority instead of merit. A teacher who is reasonably strong in math, physics or chemistry is seriously undercompensated relative to their skill set if they're making less than 50k in a full time job.

it's interesting that the primary effect of the union deals is to provide a windfall to longer serving workers, and to protect them from competition from younger teachers (or potential teachers) who may be more talented and productive.

Old 01-30-2010, 03:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elflord1973 View Post
It helps my argument just fine -- my argument is not that every teacher is overpaid, it's that the compensation system is broken because it rewards seniority instead of merit. A teacher who is reasonably strong in math, physics or chemistry is seriously undercompensated relative to their skill set if they're making less than 50k in a full time job.

it's interesting that the primary effect of the union deals is to provide a windfall to longer serving workers, and to protect them from competition from younger teachers (or potential teachers) who may be more talented and productive.
Unions are trying to protect its members in general. Of coure the way the system is set up, seniority will lead to better pay. The the way the system is set up for cops and firefighters and pretty much most jobs unless you are in sales position. Lets see..a Pharmacist who has been at Rite Aid for 10 years will make more then a guy who is a rookie. By the way if you really compensated rookie teachers with a the "great" skills set you speak of the GOP would just find another angle to bust teachers on. Sorry you cant see the the political mish mash. I say we start paying cops by the number of tickets they give out. Not to mention lets start paying cops in Westfield more money then cops in Newark because they are doing a better job in keeping the city safe.

Old 01-30-2010, 05:02 PM

91 posts, read 359,159 times
If you people are appalled with some of the teachers salaries, you should check out what the Garden State Parkway Cashiers....I mean Toll Collectors make...I know a Supervisor that makes 90k a year, he's been on the job about 20 years, and that's with NO overtime.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey