Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-04-2010, 11:13 AM

89 posts, read 444,672 times

Advertisements

I also hated that turn-around. I've also seen kids throw rocks onto cars when "looping" onto 78W so if you are prone to using that direction watch out!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-05-2010, 12:03 PM

877 posts, read 2,838,496 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike0421 View Post
Ah yes, that would be Winans Ave, a road I used often to get to a customer near Weequahic Park (a baptist church, actually). The other way gets you into the middle of Irvington past the industrial buildings. Both ways, one could easily have made that wrong turn due to signage and sudden U-Turns. My sister made the same mistake as you did Kate, and really didn't like it very much.

That was the same area where at about 11 am one morning, some kid came up to my car while I was waiting at a light and slammed my car with a 2 x 4. I pulled over, and the kid ran down the street, into a backyard. Suddenly an 'associate' of his came up to me and apologized on his behalf, saying he was drunk. He further urged me not to call the police.
I remember a guy who worked in the area during the day and a cop pulled him over and asked him what he was doing in that neighborhood, he said he worked there and the cop said something like "You see those next four lights, I don't care if they turn red on you, don't stop just keep going, you're a white dude they don't like you." Imagine a cop telling you to run a red light.

Old 02-05-2010, 07:38 PM

105 posts, read 330,556 times
Lusitan,
Yes, that is correct. From GSP N you do have to do a short jog on 78East towards the NJ turnpike, then exit off to get back on to 78W to 24W then take on of the exits (8 or 9?) towards Summit.

We did that drive every month last year and every weekend last summer from Manasquan to Summit. If you need specifics, lmk, I can find the details for you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lusitan View Post
I'm trying to give someone directions. I know that there have been some changes recently with the interchanges around I-78 that might not be reflected on GPS or online maps ...

If someone is driving northbound up the GSP, is there an easy (i.e. direct) connection to I-78 West? It seems like in the maps I'm seeing online right now, you'd have to get on I-78 East, and then get off and turn around near Hillside or something. That seems pretty retro, have they changed that?

Basically, I'm trying to give someone the most simple directions from coming north up the GSP to get to Summit.

Old 02-06-2010, 08:41 AM

7,055 posts, read 19,300,659 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by minymom View Post
Lusitan,
Yes, that is correct. From GSP N you do have to do a short jog on 78East towards the NJ turnpike, then exit off to get back on to 78W to 24W then take on of the exits (8 or 9?) towards Summit.

We did that drive every month last year and every weekend last summer from Manasquan to Summit. If you need specifics, lmk, I can find the details for you.
Not anymore. As several people said on Page 1 of this thread, the new ramp is open.

Old 02-06-2010, 08:27 PM

105 posts, read 330,556 times
my bad, that's good to know. sorry for the mistake!

Old 02-07-2010, 01:39 PM

5,771 posts, read 16,582,047 times
I took that ramp a few days ago and I think it opened back around Halloween of 2009 or so. It's on the right just AFTER the 78 East ramp just past the Union tolls.

Old 02-07-2010, 02:29 PM

12,380 posts, read 26,845,984 times
I took these last year

New Signs

Northbound to Westbound Flyover

Southbound to Eastbound - Should open later this year or early next year

Last edited by Viralmd; 02-07-2010 at 02:44 PM.. Reason: No signatures.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey