Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-24-2010, 10:49 AM

50,795 posts, read 36,486,545 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tahiti View Post
Oh, I know, I didn't mean to imply you did! I was quoting my good friend Mike. My apologies!

It's all good...sometimes intentions are misread with the written word!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-24-2010, 10:51 AM

3,859 posts, read 9,979,006 times
Mod cutyour arguments are off base with regard to firing the toll collectors (whose behavior is the topic of the entire thread) because we the taxpayers do not, and should not, pay for the Turnpike. Federal highway funds are not applied to the Turnpike simply because it's an extension of I-95. If you don't like the tolls or the toll collectors, don't use the roadway.

Last edited by Viralmd; 02-24-2010 at 10:56 AM.. Reason: No comments on moderator actions.

Old 02-24-2010, 11:00 AM

9,375 posts, read 20,801,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Badfish740 View Post
Mod cutyour arguments are off base with regard to firing the toll collectors (whose behavior is the topic of the entire thread) because we the taxpayers do not, and should not, pay for the Turnpike. Federal highway funds are not applied to the Turnpike simply because it's an extension of I-95. If you don't like the tolls or the toll collectors, don't use the roadway.
http://mysite.verizon.net/endtolls/images/endtolls_now.gif (broken link)

Old 02-24-2010, 11:20 AM

1,110 posts, read 4,371,636 times
Great link!! Those complaints are insane! That's what happens when people have union jobs.

Old 02-24-2010, 11:22 AM

12,380 posts, read 26,853,319 times
Why would you want to end Tolls , they pay for the Highway Up keep , and improvement projects and also fund key Transit & Rail projects , we do need more tolls in this state. There are a few more busy highways that could be tapped!

Old 02-24-2010, 11:56 AM

13,404 posts, read 28,729,623 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nexis4Jersey View Post
Why would you want to end Tolls , they pay for the Highway Up keep , and improvement projects and also fund key Transit & Rail projects , we do need more tolls in this state. There are a few more busy highways that could be tapped!
In essence I agree but I take pause in the fact that you have no problem with tolls being raised and even implemented on non toll roads but don't want transit fares increased.

If you are looking for any of the inter states in NJ to be tolled, well you need federal approval for that as the inter state system is federal

Old 02-24-2010, 12:01 PM

13,404 posts, read 28,729,623 times
I guess I've been lucky. For at least the past 10 years I've had ez pass but prior to that I've never had a nasty toll collector..and come on PENNIES....if that was a person's way of protesting tolls or increases all you were doing is holding up the person behind you..one of the reasons I got EZ pass, tired of waiting in line only to have the yokel in front of me sit in the same line and wait til he gets to the toll collector to start fumbling for change

Old 02-24-2010, 12:46 PM

12,380 posts, read 26,853,319 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by njkate View Post
In essence I agree but I take pause in the fact that you have no problem with tolls being raised and even implemented on non toll roads but don't want transit fares increased.

If you are looking for any of the inter states in NJ to be tolled, well you need federal approval for that as the inter state system is federal
I don't think the Feds would mind more Tolls , it would allow NJ to ask less form the Feds for New Projects. As for fares on Transit , if you compare it tolling , its still high and unfairly done , the system needs to be redone. And i didn't say this would cover Transit Fares , this would and is covering new important Transit projects. Some of which are going on right now. But this would save the state millions of $$$ for up keep and small repair projects for that highway. There is too many loop holes on the Parkway , they need to fill that in. I tend to look ahead and i'm a progressive person , we need to consider what the future has in store for us. & alot of my friends agree that more Tolls and other things like encouraging less car use is needed. As for rude Toll attendants , i have never meet one , majority of them are friendly and seem up beat.

Old 02-24-2010, 09:48 PM

5,773 posts, read 16,588,795 times
Tolls and therefore toll collectors are an unnecessary evil of the old ways of life. Paying at the pump is far more equitable and much more efficient than stopping all trsffic for a daily shakedown.

Old 02-25-2010, 07:01 AM

88,585 posts, read 84,795,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by captne76 View Post
Tolls and therefore toll collectors are an unnecessary evil of the old ways of life. Paying at the pump is far more equitable and much more efficient than stopping all trsffic for a daily shakedown.
Well, the fare collection industry has different ideas. Electronic fare collection is the way of the future, and in fact already here to some extent, and we are moving ever closer to a time when all tolls in the region will be collected electronically.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey