Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-22-2011, 08:45 PM

4,073 posts, read 8,989,039 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by colombiandude524 View Post
Hey guys. I got caught doing 75 in a 50 on RT 1 in North Brunswick a few weeks ago. The worst part is it was in a "Safe Corridor" which means fines are double. I'm looking at 4 points and around $400 in fines. What you guys think I can plea bargain this to. Should I bother hiring a lawyer?
1. Slow down
2. Pay up
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-23-2011, 06:43 PM

5,773 posts, read 16,606,225 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HalfFull View Post
1. Slow down
2. Pay up
Don't pay a lot for that muffler

Old 03-24-2011, 11:42 AM

3,377 posts, read 14,638,906 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by captne76 View Post
That ticket (39:4-67) never shows up on any record I have seen including insurance, but they don't hand those out often.
That was the standard amended statute that the prosecutor in Elizabeth Municipal Court would offer some years ago for speeding tickets issued by State Troopers on the Turnpike.

Old 03-24-2011, 03:14 PM

912 posts, read 2,448,398 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rscalzo View Post
They were a no point violation and were used years back to plea bargain a no point violation in court. That practice was stopped by the courts by directive from the state.
The troopers still give them out on the roads, though. I know someone who got one last week after being stopped for some relatively minor speeding on the Parkway. I assume she would've gotten the full monte on the mover if she was going any faster or acted like a you-know-what to him.

Old 06-26-2012, 08:16 AM

2 posts, read 11,957 times
Hello Friends,

I got the speeding ticket for driving 65mph in 50mph zone in NJ, This is my 1st ticket, I entered my ticket on website http://njcourts.judiciary.state.nj.u.../search/submit but it doesn't reflect any thing,It shows like
"NJMCdirect is unable to locate the ticket information. Please contact the court to resolve this matter, or refer to the back of the traffic ticket for alternate payment options."

Please give me some suggestion.

Old 06-26-2012, 09:04 AM

It might take a few days for the summons to be entered and show up on the computer system. Usually you do better going into court and seeing what they will knock it down to. That all varies with each town and often with what "mood" they are in. They might offer to knock the speed down to whatever is 2 points, I think that might be 14 mph or less over the limit, or they also offer to change it to an unsafe driving ticket which is zero points but about $480 and you can only get 2 of those in 5 years or else you rack up 4 points if you get a 3rd unsafe.
You might consider the 2 points which go away after a year if you receive no violations for 12 months. There is also some driving course you can take to knock the points off.

Old 06-28-2012, 08:17 AM

2 posts, read 11,957 times
Hello

I saw my ticket online and it doesn't show any points but I called the court and asked her about my point so she said I get the 4 points on that.

Please show me the ways to go away this point, I will pay what ever the penalty.

Thank You

Old 06-28-2012, 08:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by smith.volvorine View Post
Hello

I saw my ticket online and it doesn't show any points but I called the court and asked her about my point so she said I get the 4 points on that.

Please show me the ways to go away this point, I will pay what ever the penalty.

Thank You
Every town may be slightly different but most prosecutors will at least offer to knock the speed you are charged with to the next level down, which I think in your case is only one mile less. You can look up what tickets are what points online on many websites.

Another option that is quite popular in NJ is the prosecutor will offer you a zero point "unsafe driving" ticket. They offer to amend your ticket to whichever you agree to. That unsafe one is expensive, by the time all the surcharges and fees add up its about $480 or so.

If you take the 2 pointer lesser speed one it is cheaper. Points usually get removed automatically, either 2 or 3 points a year if you get no other tickets for 12 months. There is also various driver safety courses you can take online or in person which will take 2 points off.

Depending on the town, you may show up and there are 100 other people on a given court night with similar situations. Some towns the prosecutor will explain everything beforehand, but I've heard of others that seem overwhelmed by the number of customers they have and rush through everything.

There are or at least used to be ways to amend the ticket to a no points ticket that is much cheaper, $100 or less, but you have to get lucky or have some other reason for them to offer you that. Most towns push for the $480 unsafe deal and offer that to everybody. You can only use that twice in 5 years and they expect you to remember how many you have had.

Also there is a separate system where NJ looks at how many points you have had for the last 3 years and if you have 6 or more you have to pay a separate NJ surcharge bill for 3 years. This is separate from insurance or court fees, I think its $50 for each point each year for 3 years, but you won't set that off until you have 6 or more points.

Old 07-31-2012, 07:27 AM

2 posts, read 7,574 times
Hello,

I got the speeding ticket in NJ. I was on 65 mph in 50 mph zone...so I got the 4 points and $105 charge. I talked lawyer and attorney but they charge more than $500 which I don't want to spend. My appearance date is in September. Could you please some one guide me what should I do for Not guilty plea or Is there any other way to solve this problem.Do I need to call at court for the not guilty plea or I directly appear at there and then tell them?

Appreciated for the Help.
Thank You in advance.

Old 07-31-2012, 01:57 PM

7 posts, read 25,351 times
All Gurus out here..

I got a citation for an improper turn. 39:4–124 Improper turn from approved turning course ticket (in NJ). I was not familiar with the area and after I took the right lane for turns ; there was a marker saying 'No Left turn' .Fine is a relatively low $85.00, but it cost 3 points. This is my first ticket ever. What are my chances of getting the points waived? thru a plea bargain or so..

Look forward to your guidance..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey