Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-12-2010, 07:52 PM

19,890 posts, read 18,786,774 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikefromCT View Post
Well, 40 years ago people were leaving cities in droves. 40 years ago the smoke was still clearing from the 1967 riots, no one lived in the city and few of the neighborhoods were safe. I won't deny your claim that people were trying to hype the city 40 years ago, but now that there's been a shift - with more young people drawn to urban areas - I'm beginning to think that maybe this time the change will be for real. I hope it is.
As I said I hope you are right. But the same tune was being sung 40, then 30, then 20 then 10 years ago and not much changed. Yes they built new buildings to draw folks from out of town but there really hasn't been substantive change. Other big cities have made progress some haven't (see Detroit).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-12-2010, 07:55 PM

12,380 posts, read 26,900,150 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shorebaby View Post
There are negative people in this thread and they are the people who can't see Newark for what it is. There were 67 murders in 2008 and everyone was pointing to that as evidence that Newark was on it's way back. What did they say when there were 77 murders in 2009? If pointing out the obvious is viewed as rooting against Newark (that Newark is dangerous) than a true revival is hopeless. The first step to addressing a problem is to admit you have one.
Wasn't it like 200 back in the 90s and rampet drugs? Now is a whole lot better and I'm sorry you refuse to leave your secure building to explore the city more. Newark did have a problem but it is getting better. My limit for murders for Newark is 90 a year. Newark has become a model for other cities for crime reduction and family values as in restoring parks and having safer streets.

Old 04-12-2010, 07:59 PM

195 posts, read 396,913 times
Shorebaby give it up, your dead wrong about Newark, and for the last time Hoboken is not a real stand alone city, Hoboken would be nothing without NYC, it is a joke to compare the two, stop it please !!

Old 04-12-2010, 08:02 PM

2,881 posts, read 6,098,766 times
Quote:
There are negative people in this thread and they are the people who can't see Newark for what it is. There were 67 murders in 2008 and everyone was pointing to that as evidence that Newark was on it's way back. What did they say when there were 77 murders in 2009? If pointing out the obvious is viewed as rooting against Newark (that Newark is dangerous) than a true revival is hopeless. The first step to addressing a problem is to admit you have one.

All you did just now was take two consecutive years '08 and '09 and compare stats. How about comparing stats for a 10-20 year span? Where Newark had almost 200 murders? Afterall, this whole thread you've been talking about how things were the same 40 years ago...

So, using your logic, I'll point out again that Newark was the most dangerous city in these United States for year calendar year '96:

AMERICA'S SAFEST CITY: AMHERST, N.Y.; THE MOST DANGEROUS: NEWARK, N.J. - November 27, 1996

even amongst all the crime/homicide/decay you'll literally say nothing's changed?

Old 04-12-2010, 08:03 PM

2,881 posts, read 6,098,766 times
Quote:
As I said I hope you are right. But the same tune was being sung 40, then 30, then 20 then 10 years ago and not much changed. Yes they built new buildings to draw folks from out of town but there really hasn't been substantive change. Other big cities have made progress some haven't (see Detroit).
Here's a question for the bolded statement: Not much changed according to whom other than yourself??

You worked there...you ever LIVE there?

Old 04-12-2010, 08:06 PM

5,251 posts, read 13,841,614 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 66nexus View Post
All you did just now was take two consecutive years '08 and '09 and compare stats. How about comparing stats for a 10-20 year span? Where Newark had almost 200 murders? Afterall, this whole thread you've been talking about how things were the same 40 years ago...

So, using your logic, I'll point out again that Newark was the most dangerous city in these United States for year calendar year '96:

AMERICA'S SAFEST CITY: AMHERST, N.Y.; THE MOST DANGEROUS: NEWARK, N.J. - November 27, 1996

even amongst all the crime/homicide/decay you'll literally say nothing's changed?
You beat me to it.

Old 04-12-2010, 08:19 PM

Wow, the denial here is remarkable. You can believe that Newark Is a model for crime reduction all you like it is still a very dangerous place. Why do you folks refuse to acknowledge that Newark is not a desirable place to live? Far more people are looking for ways out of Newark than ways in. There is a reason for this. But there is not going to be any real change anytime soon with the boosterism exhibited here.

I really hope for it's recovery but I am not optimistic when those who live there can't see there is a problem.

Old 04-12-2010, 08:21 PM

Shorebaby you are the only negative person on this thread. Why can you not see the goods things happening In Newark ?

Old 04-12-2010, 08:28 PM

Shorebaby do you really work in Newark ? And if so do you still work there ?

Old 04-12-2010, 08:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by newarkboy View Post
Shorebaby do you really work in Newark ? And if so do you still work there ?
Yes and yes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey