Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-06-2010, 04:10 PM

12,283 posts, read 35,690,922 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
You will get different opinions from different people (depending where THEY live). I think if you can legitimately put a "Local" sticker on your car then you're not a Benny or a Shoobie, but if you really can't and mean it, you are. If you can't vote in the city's elections, then you're not a local, IMO. Of course I can never get an "OC Native" sticker, and if you asked them, they'd probably call me a Shoobie!
bolded sentence....BINGO.

people who have summer homes can vote in city elections. What a quandry this is!!!

Old 04-06-2010, 04:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lkb0714 View Post
I agree with the definitions for Benny given above. Basically if you cannot walk, ride your bike or skateboard (that what my daughter does) to the beach you are a benny. For example I live almost a mile away from the beach and usually do drive down, but on the 4th of July I bike down to avoid the crowds watching the fireworks.

As for the Manahawkin example, I would assume people have their own rules for shoobies. Are they similar?

EDIT: I forgot the dead give away for bennys. If you are a local you go to the beach if you are a benny you go "down the shore".
Ok, so Manahawkin residents are bennies. As are Barnegat, Waretown, Forked River, Toms River, West Long Branch, Shrewsbury, Red Bank, etc etc. Got it! Thanks! Perth Amboy has a beach I believe, I bet they'll be relieved to hear they aren't bennies!

ETA: I'm just a stupid bennie, but my understanding is that shoobie is just another term for non locals who go to the more southern shore towns. Or those from the Delaware Valley area.

Old 04-06-2010, 04:35 PM

16,825 posts, read 17,733,278 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tahiti View Post
I don't have a summer home so not offended in the least In fact, the term bennie doesn't even offend me - which is the best way to dilute what's meant to be derogitory!

So, to recap: Tinton Falls - bennie. South Amboy - local. Aberdeen - depending on where you live as it bisects the GSP. Middletown, local. Holmdel - depends. Lincroft - bennie, Shrewsbury, local. LOL!

Maybe we should all wear a scarlet letter.
Its benny by the way. If only to fit the ticket acronym myth.

Old 04-06-2010, 04:40 PM

16,825 posts, read 17,733,278 times
Quote:
Ok, so Manahawkin residents are bennies. As are Barnegat, Waretown, Forked River, Toms River, West Long Branch, Shrewsbury, Red Bank, etc etc. Got it! Thanks! Perth Amboy has a beach I believe, I bet they'll be relieved to hear they aren't bennies!

ETA: I'm just a stupid bennie, but my understanding is that shoobie is just another term for non locals who go to the more southern shore towns. Or those from the Delaware Valley area.
All of Red Bank, Shrewsbury, Manahawkin, Waretown and Barnegat and significant parts of Toms River are east of the parkway and well south of the Driscoll Bridge. As for West Long Branch, despite the name it is not actually west of Long Branch and in fact has its own beach. So none of the residents of those towns are bennys. And if people from Perth Amboy are willing to swim in their "beach" they are the bravest souls around.

Old 04-06-2010, 05:07 PM

153 posts, read 488,729 times
Quote:
bolded sentence....BINGO.

people who have summer homes can vote in city elections. What a quandry this is!!!

They actually cannot. I actually own two homes that are in two different "beach towns" and I can only vote in one of them. You can vote in whichever one you want, but only one.

Old 04-06-2010, 05:09 PM

153 posts, read 488,729 times
Quote:
Maybe we should all wear a scarlet letter.
Don't worry, we know.

I've found that car dealership license plate frames are a good way tell, in all seriousness. Of course, there are always people who will drive 100 miles for a good deal on a car.

My car has a plate frame from a dealer in Bayville. And the dealership is from east of the GSP. LOL.

Old 04-06-2010, 06:21 PM

Quote:
Its benny by the way. If only to fit the ticket acronym myth.
told you i was a stupid bennY. lol

Old 04-06-2010, 06:23 PM

Quote:
All of Red Bank, Shrewsbury, Manahawkin, Waretown and Barnegat and significant parts of Toms River are east of the parkway and well south of the Driscoll Bridge. As for West Long Branch, despite the name it is not actually west of Long Branch and in fact has its own beach. So none of the residents of those towns are bennys. And if people from Perth Amboy are willing to swim in their "beach" they are the bravest souls around.
but you said:

"Basically if you cannot walk, ride your bike or skateboard (that what my daughter does) to the beach you are a benny."

so are they bennys (is the plural of benny "bennys" or does it follow typical english and become "bennies"?) or not?

Old 04-06-2010, 06:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GS37 View Post
Don't worry, we know.

I've found that car dealership license plate frames are a good way tell, in all seriousness. Of course, there are always people who will drive 100 miles for a good deal on a car.

My car has a plate frame from a dealer in Bayville. And the dealership is from east of the GSP. LOL.
LOL

Old 04-06-2010, 07:03 PM

460 posts, read 3,547,333 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoPhils View Post
Both. They spend a lot of money there, but because they do they think they own the place. A lot of them also seem to think that their garbage will just throw itself out.

Like most people i VISIT the shore and don't have the luxury of owning a place there. I never leave my garbage behind nor would I leave my garbage behind ANYWHERE i go in the state whether to the mountains or to a local county park. I don't think I own anything when I get to the shore and with the prices I pay for things like food, parking, beach passes etc i feel like I'M being owned

I'm a daytripper though or sometimes rent a motel at Wildwood for a couple days and maybe some shore house renters do act like they own the place but it's probably younger people partying alot acting like that or out-of staters letting loose idk.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey