Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-24-2010, 10:47 AM

17 posts, read 79,108 times

Advertisements

Look, i grew up next to harrison, it is still at least 40 percent irish, thats a pretty large percentage block for one ethnicity. Ask the city hall. The ironbound really doesnt have much crime at all, and all of the crime that DOES take place is way down by port newark, in the industrial aThreas down by the port and airport. The neighborhood that borders the passaic river is the upper part of the ironbound, the part that borders harrison, and take it from somebody who grew up there, i never heard of somebody getting MUGGED on my block, let along raped or killed or anything gruesome. The only iffy part is down by the port and airport, and it borders newark bay, an area and body of water far down river from harrison, its actually closer to jersey city which is across the bay.

I walk around harrison and the ironbond at 2 am alot and there is no drug dealing corners, no hooking, no mugging, nothing. Very safe.

And the more 'irish' part of harrison is the northern part, which is closer to kearny, the southern part is more industrial and alot of portugese, very safe small town though.

On this forum, you cannot trust anyone who doesnt live, or ever has, in the area which you are questioning.

To give you an example, people on here will tell you north arlington is an unsafe town, because they read in the paper about the political corruption, but the actuality is the town is one of the safest in the area.

You will hear people tell you east orange is up and coming, while i wish it was, that is very far from reality - that is a VERY unsafe area, i hate going there and i grew up in newark and all around the essex area.

So like i said, while every body has a right to opinion and free speech, if you want facts and not a simple political bashing - go with the folks who are native.

I am a middle class adult, lived in the neck all my life, never had a problem, and my 17 year old sister walks all around kearny, ironbound, harrison, east newark all the time, at day or not, never an issue. Worst case scenario in those areas is somebody drunk may ask you for a dollar in the oldest parts of town. Oh, and we are irish white, too, the area is SAFE!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-25-2010, 04:38 PM

1,302 posts, read 4,575,776 times
Is Guttenberg basicallly the same as Weehawken and West New York?

Old 04-25-2010, 09:23 PM

2,653 posts, read 5,964,174 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EEEPNJ View Post
Harrison has been largely Portuguese and has had a lot of Latinos for more than a few years and just a walk through town will tell you it is not "Irish" at all.

Safety... questionable at best IMO.
In Harrison?
You need to get out more.

Old 04-26-2010, 10:55 AM

1,173 posts, read 4,753,946 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EEEPNJ View Post
If these are NJ Monthly ranks, use them, but don't make them your ONLY factor to consider. NJ has MANY school districts and typically anything in the top 250 is considered good, anything in the top 100 Very good. Top 50 excellent. However, there are many factors in their rankings - you can see the stats and explanations of how they are determined on the magazine's website.

I'm surprised to see Weehawken ranked higher too, however, usually rankings only apply to HIGH schools. And in small school districts (like Weehawken) an exceptional graduating class (or very poor graduating class) could skew the results significantly in any year.

NJ Montly publishes the list every 2 years, I'd look at ratings overall in years past as well to get a better picture. And again, don't make that your only source.

EEEPNJ--Those are not NJ Monthly numbers, after seeing their latest "best places to live in NJ" list I will NEVER trust their numbers again! LOL. I got the numbers from School Digger which I do trust. But I'm with you, very surprised Weehawken ranked higher than Secaucus.

Old 04-26-2010, 11:20 AM

381 posts, read 1,309,945 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dorian View Post
Is Guttenberg basicallly the same as Weehawken and West New York?
More or less - more luxury apartments and condos though. It's tiny so you will find yourself shopping and eating in the other towns incl. N. Bergen.

Old 04-26-2010, 07:25 PM

52 posts, read 196,266 times
I don't think Harrison is as safe as some are making it out to be or as bad as others are making it out to be. It's...ok. I kind of worry it might actually get worse because of them building the stadium there. My boyfriend read in the paper (a local one, don't know which...he lives in Kearny) that Harrison PD has admitted they do not have the staff to handle the stadium. It seems like both Harrison and Kearny have been having more crime lately....or it's been reported more, either one. Out of your list, it wouldn't really be my choice. *shrug*

Old 04-27-2010, 08:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by awesam View Post
I don't think Harrison is as safe as some are making it out to be or as bad as others are making it out to be. It's...ok. I kind of worry it might actually get worse because of them building the stadium there. My boyfriend read in the paper (a local one, don't know which...he lives in Kearny) that Harrison PD has admitted they do not have the staff to handle the stadium. It seems like both Harrison and Kearny have been having more crime lately....or it's been reported more, either one. Out of your list, it wouldn't really be my choice. *shrug*

Which one would be your choice?

Old 04-28-2010, 12:34 PM

Is there nj transit and/or jitney bus service from Weehawken/West New York to Hoboken? Do the jitney buses go anywhere other than the port authority?

Old 04-28-2010, 01:12 PM

12,380 posts, read 26,863,665 times
Theres a ferry service form Weehawken , Hoboken to Across the river. Or you can take the Light Rail down to Hoboken Terminal to the PATH and up to Midtown. Where do you want to go exactly?

Old 04-29-2010, 09:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nexis4Jersey View Post
Theres a ferry service form Weehawken , Hoboken to Across the river. Or you can take the Light Rail down to Hoboken Terminal to the PATH and up to Midtown. Where do you want to go exactly?
I was wondering if they went to any other places in NJ.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey