Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-10-2010, 07:55 PM

1,302 posts, read 4,575,776 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rscalzo View Post
Not true. Call the Municipal Govt. Center for info on the shuttles. Parking is about $10 per day but I've never used it so don't quote me on that.
Welcome to The Official Website of the Town of Secaucus, NJ :::: Welcome

Here's an article about the service
Hudson Reporter - All aboard NJ Transit donates shuttles to increase ridership to Secaucus Junction-?

Thanks. It would be better if they ran all day.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-10-2010, 07:59 PM

I was on blvd. east on Saturday and I counted 5 different bus companies that drove down the street, is there a way to find out where they all go or do you basically have to ask? It just would be nice if they had some type of rough schedule or at least a website that tells us some info.

Old 05-11-2010, 02:09 AM

1,014 posts, read 2,889,462 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dorian View Post
I was on blvd. east on Saturday and I counted 5 different bus companies that drove down the street, is there a way to find out where they all go or do you basically have to ask? It just would be nice if they had some type of rough schedule or at least a website that tells us some info.
There's NJT, then the van buses. All are going to NYC 42nd St. I don't think that anything on Blvd East runs anywhere else, but I might be wrong.

To catch the bus to Hoboken, you go to Bergenline and get the 22 or you get on the light rail by going down Blvd East until you get to the stairs by Port Imperial. To go to JC Journal Sq. you either get the dollar van or you get the 89 bus, but both are caught on Bergenline. If you want to go to Downtown JC, then you catch the bergenline dollar van or the light rail.

Old 05-11-2010, 09:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gradstudent77 View Post
There's NJT, then the van buses. All are going to NYC 42nd St. I don't think that anything on Blvd East runs anywhere else, but I might be wrong.

To catch the bus to Hoboken, you go to Bergenline and get the 22 or you get on the light rail by going down Blvd East until you get to the stairs by Port Imperial. To go to JC Journal Sq. you either get the dollar van or you get the 89 bus, but both are caught on Bergenline. If you want to go to Downtown JC, then you catch the bergenline dollar van or the light rail.

So are all the vans run by the same company even tho they all look different and have different names on them? About how long would it take to get to Hoboken or Journal Square?

Old 05-11-2010, 10:44 AM

2,105 posts, read 6,665,095 times
Quote:
It would be better if they ran all day.
No idea of the current schedule. The Town Clerk probably would know.

Old 05-11-2010, 12:17 PM

1,173 posts, read 4,753,946 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dorian View Post
So are all the vans run by the same company even tho they all look different and have different names on them? About how long would it take to get to Hoboken or Journal Square?

No they are independant. Some operators may own a few vans and others operators only own one. You have to pay them in cash they don't take bus tickets. Also they are not allowed in the bus lanes.

They are a great way for getting the city and even from one end of kennedy blvd or blvd east to the other as you can get on and off whever you'd like along their route.

Old 05-11-2010, 05:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by icibiu View Post
No they are independant. Some operators may own a few vans and others operators only own one. You have to pay them in cash they don't take bus tickets. Also they are not allowed in the bus lanes.

They are a great way for getting the city and even from one end of kennedy blvd or blvd east to the other as you can get on and off whever you'd like along their route.
So the only way to know where they are going is to ask? How often do they run? Are they a reliable mode of transportation or is it better to just stick with NJT?

Old 05-12-2010, 10:44 AM

381 posts, read 1,309,945 times
The private minibuses are very reliable. The great thing about them is that they are so frequent that you don't have to consult a schedule, though they do slow down a bit in the middle of the day and late at night. I haven't taken them back to Weehawken much past midnight - definitely no problem at that hour. My husband and I use them all the time. Another plus: you don't have to set foot in Port Authority - the minibuses let you out in front. Also, on the Manhattan end, you can wait on the minibus itself rather than in a line. (They don't leave until it's reasonably full but I don't think I've ever had to wait more than 10 mins.)

I know the private lines have some kind of licensing because a minibus leaving Manhattan was held up one day while the police inspected their papers.

AFAIK the ones on Blvd E all go to Pt Authority. There are also private buses on Park (switching to Bergenline Ave) that go up at least as far as North Bergen. There are minivans on Bergenline and I think Park that go to Newport Mall but since I never go there I don't pay much attention.

RE: city buses, you can get to Hoboken from Weehawken on the 89 bus as well as the 22. It runs along Park. It's faster than the 22 on Bergenline, which is clogged with traffic and pedestrians.

FWIW, my husband did get stuck in the Lincoln Tunnel on a private minibus that broke down last week. It took them about 20 mins. to get towed. We're still riding them. One other possible negative about the private lines - you never know what kind of bus you'll get. Some are pretty hard and shabby, others very comfy. Some have a/c, some don't. I guess shabby is more typical. The city buses are more luxurious. We don't really care. It's a short ride, and frequency is what we're looking for.

About how you know where they're going, it's marked on the Man. end on a traffic cone in front of a church, as well as the front of the buses where it says "BLVD E" or "NEW YORK CITY," but the first 50 times or so I always asked to make sure (on the Manhattan end -- it's pretty obvious on the NJ end). You get used to it after a while, plus you see the same drivers and bosses. They have regular stops but you have to let them know if you need it. Just call out Next Stop Please. No biggie.

Old 05-12-2010, 01:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ninasimonejr View Post
The private minibuses are very reliable. The great thing about them is that they are so frequent that you don't have to consult a schedule, though they do slow down a bit in the middle of the day and late at night. I haven't taken them back to Weehawken much past midnight - definitely no problem at that hour. My husband and I use them all the time. Another plus: you don't have to set foot in Port Authority - the minibuses let you out in front. Also, on the Manhattan end, you can wait on the minibus itself rather than in a line. (They don't leave until it's reasonably full but I don't think I've ever had to wait more than 10 mins.)

I know the private lines have some kind of licensing because a minibus leaving Manhattan was held up one day while the police inspected their papers.

AFAIK the ones on Blvd E all go to Pt Authority. There are also private buses on Park (switching to Bergenline Ave) that go up at least as far as North Bergen. There are minivans on Bergenline and I think Park that go to Newport Mall but since I never go there I don't pay much attention.

RE: city buses, you can get to Hoboken from Weehawken on the 89 bus as well as the 22. It runs along Park. It's faster than the 22 on Bergenline, which is clogged with traffic and pedestrians.

FWIW, my husband did get stuck in the Lincoln Tunnel on a private minibus that broke down last week. It took them about 20 mins. to get towed. We're still riding them. One other possible negative about the private lines - you never know what kind of bus you'll get. Some are pretty hard and shabby, others very comfy. Some have a/c, some don't. I guess shabby is more typical. The city buses are more luxurious. We don't really care. It's a short ride, and frequency is what we're looking for.

About how you know where they're going, it's marked on the Man. end on a traffic cone in front of a church, as well as the front of the buses where it says "BLVD E" or "NEW YORK CITY," but the first 50 times or so I always asked to make sure (on the Manhattan end -- it's pretty obvious on the NJ end). You get used to it after a while, plus you see the same drivers and bosses. They have regular stops but you have to let them know if you need it. Just call out Next Stop Please. No biggie.
Thanks for all the info. I didn't know they had one that went to newport.

Old 05-12-2010, 02:09 PM

1,173 posts, read 4,753,946 times
Great post nina! The minibuses are definitely reliable and as far as sticking to NJT, you could have gone to the city and come back on one of the mini buses before the NJT bus even shows up.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey