Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-04-2010, 01:08 PM

12,380 posts, read 26,898,010 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dorian View Post
That's horrible, as if it is not hard enough to be low or middle class in this area.
They don't care as we just saw with the NJT hearings , Christie doesn't care either. If you look at all his cuts there pointed at the Middle & low class.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-04-2010, 03:22 PM

1,302 posts, read 4,580,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nexis4Jersey View Post
They don't care as we just saw with the NJT hearings , Christie doesn't care either. If you look at all his cuts there pointed at the Middle & low class.
It's funny because before the election, all the threads I saw on here all were saying how much they wanted Christie in office. Now people wishing they didn't. That greener grass strikes again.

Old 05-04-2010, 08:11 PM

1,014 posts, read 2,892,542 times
Quote:
Is Guttenberg basicallly the same as Weehawken and West New York?
Dorian, yes. If you were to drive North on Blvd East from the Lincoln Tunnel, you are in Weehawken until you hit about 49th st, then it's West New York until 68th, then it's guttenberg until 72nd st, at which point it's North Bergen. The grid system ends at 90th St. (well except for 91st and 92nd, but they only exist down the hill) in North Bergen.

Old 05-04-2010, 08:15 PM

Quote:
I will be trying to get to Newark, Jersey City, and New Brunswick. The more I look into this, the more and more it is looking like it will be a big hassle from Weehawken or West New York. I may just stick with Harrison or Secaucus.
From what you're describing, if you're going to be taking the train to get around, you should def live on the PATH line. Go with Harrison.

Secaucus would be alright if you are planning on driving to where you need to go, but don't expect to be using the Secaucus train station for commuting from Secaucus. First of all, it's a lot more expensive to get around then PATH. An NJT ticket from Sec to Newark is $4. A path trip from Harrison is $1.75. Second, the train station is built in a seperate area from any place people live.

Old 05-04-2010, 09:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gradstudent77 View Post
From what you're describing, if you're going to be taking the train to get around, you should def live on the PATH line. Go with Harrison.

Secaucus would be alright if you are planning on driving to where you need to go, but don't expect to be using the Secaucus train station for commuting from Secaucus. First of all, it's a lot more expensive to get around then PATH. An NJT ticket from Sec to Newark is $4. A path trip from Harrison is $1.75. Second, the train station is built in a seperate area from any place people live.
As I have been looking at prices I have noticed NJTransit has been kind of pricey. Also I haven't seen any price listing for monthly passes and I have looked all over their website. I read on the website that students get half off whatever the monthly pass is, is that program going to get cut? I was thinking if I lived in Secaucus I would drive to the station and would catch one train as oppose to two, PATH and NJT, from Harrison. I wouldn't mind that time wise especially since Path is only 2 minutes, but I am worried about cost. I know the original purpose of Secaucus JCT was for train transfers, but it still doesn't make sense to me to put it so far out of the way of the town. Why not kill to birds with one stone and also provide a train stationless town with a station.

Old 05-05-2010, 08:08 AM

Quote:
As I have been looking at prices I have noticed NJTransit has been kind of pricey. Also I haven't seen any price listing for monthly passes and I have looked all over their website. I read on the website that students get half off whatever the monthly pass is, is that program going to get cut? I was thinking if I lived in Secaucus I would drive to the station and would catch one train as oppose to two, PATH and NJT, from Harrison. I wouldn't mind that time wise especially since Path is only 2 minutes, but I am worried about cost. I know the original purpose of Secaucus JCT was for train transfers, but it still doesn't make sense to me to put it so far out of the way of the town. Why not kill to birds with one stone and also provide a train stationless town with a station.
O, if you're commuting to New Brunswick, then Harrison might not be best, but I thought you were still going to Jersey City for school for a bit.

As for the train stationless town: all the train tracks converged at a point out in the swamp so it was a good call to create a switching station there. They didn't intend for people using it to commute because it's so out of the way and they didn't want to build the infrasturcture for people to drive up to it when they orignially planned it.

Old 05-05-2010, 11:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gradstudent77 View Post
O, if you're commuting to New Brunswick, then Harrison might not be best, but I thought you were still going to Jersey City for school for a bit.

As for the train stationless town: all the train tracks converged at a point out in the swamp so it was a good call to create a switching station there. They didn't intend for people using it to commute because it's so out of the way and they didn't want to build the infrasturcture for people to drive up to it when they orignially planned it.
I will still be going to Jersey City for a shorter period of time then I originally expected. I will be going there until January, but would prefer to stay around the north Jersey area and will also need access to Newark. I'm kind of caught in limbo since I will be going to Hudson Community in Journal Square until late December, then I will be attending school in New Brunswick and also will need access to Newark and New York for work(I guess I could try to find another job.). It seems like I maybe asking for my price range.

Old 05-05-2010, 02:44 PM

2,105 posts, read 6,674,570 times
Quote:
Second, the train station is built in a separate area from any place people live.
Not true. the expense may be accurate but their are now several hundred units in the Secaucus Transit Villages and more to be built. Harmon cove and Harmon Towers have hundreds more within a half mile. Shuttle buses run to the station from all over the north and center of the town for little money. In addition, there is parking if you wish to drive to the station unlike most other area train stations.

Old 05-10-2010, 12:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rscalzo View Post
Not true. the expense may be accurate but their are now several hundred units in the Secaucus Transit Villages and more to be built. Harmon cove and Harmon Towers have hundreds more within a half mile. Shuttle buses run to the station from all over the north and center of the town for little money. In addition, there is parking if you wish to drive to the station unlike most other area train stations.
What company runs the shuttles and where do they stop? Someone said that they think the parking is free for residence, do you know if that is true?

Old 05-10-2010, 03:46 PM

2,105 posts, read 6,674,570 times
Quote:
Someone said that they think the parking is free for residence, do you know if that is true?
Not true. Call the Municipal Govt. Center for info on the shuttles. Parking is about $10 per day but I've never used it so don't quote me on that.
Welcome to The Official Website of the Town of Secaucus, NJ :::: Welcome

Here's an article about the service
Hudson Reporter - All aboard NJ Transit donates shuttles to increase ridership to Secaucus Junction-?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey