Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-18-2014, 05:08 AM

4 posts, read 6,414 times

Advertisements

Moving from Toronto to NJ. We are looking for neighbourhood info in or around Piscataway. Somewhere with a downtown, restaurants, low-crime, not bothered about schools as we have no kids. Will be renting either a house or condo with a budget of $2500. Any help would be appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-18-2014, 07:06 AM

19,138 posts, read 25,349,686 times
Piscataway, like so many Central NJ towns, has no discernible downtown.
It is also not noted for restaurants.
Overall, it is a decent & safe place to live, but I don't think that it fits most of your criteria.

You might want to take a look at Somerville, which is the county seat for Somerset County. (Piscataway is in neighboring Middlesex County). Somerville has been "gentrifying" for the past several years, and it has a constantly-developing, walkable downtown with a number of good restaurants. Because it has a small...not-so-good area...the crime rate is higher than in...let's say...Piscataway...but the crime rate is still low, overall. Somerville is a town on the way up, so to speak, and it also features an active art community.

Highland Park also comes to mind. Its downtown is not as nice as that of Somerville, IMHO, but it is walkable, and the town is definitely safe.

The only other places that I can think of in Central NJ with "downtowns" are New Brunswick (which has a high crime rate), Woodbridge, and Princeton. Personally, I am not particularly fond of Woodbridge, but it does have a small downtown area and it offers good accessibility to NYC--if that is important to you.

Princeton is not really close to Piscataway, but it is within commuting distance, and has a very nice downtown, a few very good restaurants, and an extremely low crime rate. Additionally, the campus of Princeton University is a beautiful and historic place to take walks, and the campus also features the (free) Princeton U. Art Museum and the excellent McCarter theater.

Old 10-18-2014, 08:05 AM

4,940 posts, read 12,152,277 times
I would also recommend Highland Park. It has a nice, walkable downtown and a very close-knit feel. I lived there 10 years ago and I think many businesses downtown have closed in recent years due to the economy, but it's still a nice area and extremely safe. New Brunswick is a good option if you want more of an urban feel. As long as you don't venture too far from downtown (which there really isn't reason to), then you won't have much problem with crime. Piscataway is just your typical suburban sprawl and strip malls. The town is very "blah" in my opinion.

Old 10-18-2014, 08:21 AM

77 posts, read 109,697 times
i would say the area around Princeton Uni is really nice...in terms of affordability IDK though...New Brunswick is mainly a college town to Rutgers University (off campus housing) though its not a bad location in terms of serious crime.

Somerset which is right near Piscataway is a suburban area...no downtown there now that i think about it

if you want a nice downtown Id check out New Brunswicks downtown

any more questions PM me
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey