Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-30-2010, 10:53 AM

21 posts, read 25,156 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tahiti View Post
I just find it completely hilarious (at the risk of going off topic) that we cheer all this, yet are APPAULED that some people want to extend that tax surcharge on ppl making $400K. We are broke, aren't we?

Lunch subsidies have been around FOREVER (well, as long as I've been around, and I'm an old bag) and suddenly we've become an "entitlement" society? Cmon.

These are all fluffy things he's doing to get his base jazzed up, but in reality won't do much. IMHO, of course. WORK ON CONSOLIDATION MAN - it'll take years, get started NOW.

I have to give him credit though - I didn't expect poor kids to be in his crosshairs, he's a master at making the middle class civil servant and poor the boogeyman.

That is because the poor are the problem. The middle and upper class are not getting free housing, free cheese, free lunch, food stamps, welfare and free everything. It is the middle and upper class that are sick of paying for all the freebies.

If Obama can ask the middle and upper class to do more then he should be able to ask the hoodrats that are doing nothing to do more.

Old 04-30-2010, 10:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nexis4Jersey View Post
What about all the ppl who lost there jobs and can't afford a meal?

They all have money for cell phones, high definition tv, $500 limited edition sneakers and 2k rims. They should sell their rims and buy their kids a sandwich.

Old 04-30-2010, 10:56 AM

63 posts, read 136,491 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by demost View Post
The Dems will just have to get jobs and pay for their own kid's lunch.

It makes sense to me. The Dems that already have jobs and pay for their kid's lunch will no longer be asked to pay for somebody elses kids.
So many people use blanket statements. If we replace the 'dems' with anything else does the post make any more sense? Here - let's do this again...

The _______ will just have to get jobs and pay for their own kid's lunch. It makes sense to me. The _______ that already have jobs and pay for their kids lunch will no longer be asked to pay for somebody else's kids. Why the hatred of democrats? What did the above post address or solve? If we plug in white people, repubs, atheists, catholics, people with huge-cars does the post actually do anything but slander that group?

Old 04-30-2010, 11:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by icibiu View Post
THAT is the problem, you can't phathom it. You have never been dirt poor or raised by an irresponsible parent. All of the naysayers on this thread never have and hopefully never will have any clue what some of these poor children are going through.

So what if the parent gets public assistance? So what if they get food stamps? .

So what if we cut them off. They can get jobs like the rest of us.

Enuff said.

Old 04-30-2010, 11:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BergenCountyJohnny View Post
Embarrassing for me, since I wear and use so many Kenneth Cole items...probably more than any other "designer" items or clothing. Oh well, I made a mistake.

Then go live on a deserted island by yourself where everything you gain is 100% yours to keep (if you can protect it yourself). But if you're going to live here, in the USA, in a civilized society, then you have to be aware that you have to have your money taken from you to a point and spent on things that benefit the society as a whole. If you don't like it, leave. Nobody's stopping you from going to a place where you won't have your money taken from you. Go. Leave. Just enough whining already.

It's not "my HR dept."... I work with different companies and their various HR departments have HR professionals who will absolutely give the job to the less qualified candidate that wears Kenneth Cole or Coach or Prada and is slimmer and younger and better looking.

No, I am not saying that I would personally do that; I wouldn't, and I take care to make sure I don't. What I said was that this is very common despite being very wrong. It's common because it's human nature on the part of those HR professionals and there's really no accountability for it. Who will ever catch them? Nobody. They can easily justify their decisions in other ways without ever alluding to their prejudicial judgments.

I didn't tell you what to think or do - you're entitled to hate children and let them go without food; just don't think you're fooling anyone when you deny that you hate children and want them to go hungry. I'm also not telling anyone wear this or buy this, but you are. I'm saying let people do what they want, don't judge the person with the expensive clothes, manicure, etc. and demand they do what you want them to do to save money.

It's just that a selfish, money-worshiping attitude like yours can't be covered up in denial.

Moving to a deserted island won't work. The hoodrats will follow because they need someone to provide free lunches for their kids.

White flight is nothing new. When the working class fled the cities the cities turned into ghettos.

Old 04-30-2010, 11:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by njkate View Post
In theory I get what you are saying but that said if you are a minimum wage worker..why in the world would you create another life...you can barely support yourself

This is not China. The hoodrats usually have like 8 kids. They want more kids because in their world more kids means mo money.

Old 04-30-2010, 11:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TigerLily24 View Post
Hello, recession. Are all of those people who now have no choice but to work minimum wage jobs supposed to send their kids back?

No. That is impossible. They should have thought about the future and the possiblities of a recession before they had 8 kids.

The hoodrats start having kids before they even have jobs. They don't care about costs.

Old 04-30-2010, 11:22 AM

4,085 posts, read 8,789,213 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by njkate View Post
OMG LMAO for sure so now I'm reduced to selfish because I want to hang on to MY money...lol..lmao...that's rich
I don't hate kids have 3 of my own that neither the state or feds fed or clothed....in younger days worked 2 jobs to support them..juggling act with hubbie so they weren't street urchins left to entertain themselves either
People's money isn't all their own money. You live in a society by which you are able to "make" a lot of that money so you owe back to that society. Why is this so hard to understand? This can only be hard to understand by one reason: blind greed and selfishness.

Years ago, my dad lent a relative, who was turned down by banks, a large amount of money (over $10,000) so he could start a business. He started his business and was doing OK, but he never paid my dad back everything he was lent. My dad didn't ask him for interest and even forgave a small portion of the loan outright. My dad then needed some help a few years later, and asked for a small amount (under $1000). This relative belly-ached and cried poor and wondered why my dad asked him for money and said there are other relatives he could ask. He didn't seem to recognize that had it not been for my dad financing him, he wouldn't have money for my dad to ask to borrow.

Likewise, so many people don't seem to realize they money they "make" isn't "made" by them alone. There are the roads you use to get you to and from work which you are not paying entirely for, there are the police who you aren't entirely paying for that protect you with your money and your home and possessions and money. There are the people who are paying to educate your kids in public schools since you're not paying that entire amount, either.

If not for all that society gives to you, you would't "make" what you "make". You owe society. That debt you owe is collected in the form of taxes. You owe society those taxes.

Now, if you think your particular society is asking for too much for the debt you owe, or that where they spend it doesn't benefit you, you can go find a society which does better. But if you are happy in this society, you owe your debt, and whining about it just makes you a whiner.

The fact that someone tries to justify whining by claiming all the money he or she "makes" is HIS/HER money is what makes that person a selfish and greedy money-worshiper.

There's much, much more to life than money, you know...

Old 04-30-2010, 11:25 AM

4,085 posts, read 8,789,213 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nexis4Jersey View Post
This isn't a blue & Red issue ..............its about the kids....
To me, as a Christian, it's also a moral issue. Worshiping money in lieu of feeding the poor is immoral, by Christian morality. Anyone who supports this is not doing the Christian thing, which is fine if they are not Christians, but someone like Christie who purports to be a devout Catholic is sinning.

How can I trust a man to be a honest governor when he lies about his own religious faith? (Isn't he pro-abortion, too?)

Old 04-30-2010, 11:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyersFan View Post
The posts in this thread spouting such anger toward innocent children who come to school without adequate breakfast or lunch or none at all is really sad and those that begrudge these children a meal should be ashamed of themselves. Yes......in a perfect world the parents are responsible and should be sending their children to school with a hot breakfast and lunch. You can't learn very well when your stomach is empty and hurts.
My youngest daughter is a 4th grade teacher in a very low income area in Florida and most of her students receive subsidized breakfasts and lunches. Most of her students come from broken homes....some have either a mom or a dad in jail.....some have both in jail....some live with grandmom because mom and dad took off because they didn't want the responsibilty anymore......some have a mom or dad on crack....or both.....many have a sibling in jail.....some are supposed to be receiving certain medications that mom or dad use to get high or sell.....many have a parent or parents that are unemployed.
These kids already lead tougher lives that most of us have ever experienced, many because their parents are either missing, irresponsible or have financial difficulties and as sad as it may sound some don't have the 10 cents for the oatmeal from ShopRite because mom or dad spend it on crack. Some only have two pair of pants and two shirts that they alternate daily. And....in America, the supposed richest nation on this earth, where Americans are traditionally viewed as a compassionate, giving people most posts on this thread can't find it within themselves to do the right thing where the parents have failed for one reason or another and feed a hungary child. The child doesn't know that its parents are on crack or irresponsible.......they just know they're hungary. I get it that we're tired of paying taxes for the government to spend on $600 toilet seats but do we really want to take out this anger on an innocent hungary child that already carries the weight of problems that we will never know ?

Not one person spouted anger at the kids. Like you said in your first paragraph the problem is the parents that send their kids to school hungry.

You identified the problem. The solution is for those same parents to provide for their kids. The solution is not to ask the parents that already do the right thing to do more.

Now get back to your picket line.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey