Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-12-2010, 03:43 PM

342 posts, read 912,268 times

Advertisements

Moving to jersey, considering working law enforcement until i finish getting my masters degree. I am currently researching, various departments in the nj/ny metro area!! I considered port authority police since my ultimate goal after school is a tsa management position! But their not hiring!! What departments in central jersey have the best starting salary, benefits(tuition assistance), and overtime. Gotta have overtime!!! Please let me know!!
Newark, jersey city, state, transit, ???
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-12-2010, 04:23 PM

2,105 posts, read 6,660,858 times
Your a few years too late. Right now everyone is downsizing. Not to mention most towns have residency requirements.

Old 05-12-2010, 04:28 PM

12,380 posts, read 26,844,597 times
Newark isn't , and Elizabeth , aswell Jersey City. But yes , most are downsizing. There are probably alot of companies looking for security.

Old 05-17-2010, 06:32 AM

27 posts, read 100,746 times
For a civil service agency it takes atleast a year from the test date to be hired. The highest paid departments are in bergen county, and they dont hire much. In fact, most are on a hiring freeze or are threatening layoffs....

Old 05-17-2010, 06:38 AM

5,450 posts, read 8,759,695 times
Check with South Brunswick, NJ. I know they take their applications right there. You may find that some of the smaller towns have really great salaries.

Also, check into DOC. They have lots of OT available if you want it.

Old 05-21-2010, 04:30 AM

70 posts, read 259,843 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmorefella View Post
Moving to jersey, considering working law enforcement until i finish getting my masters degree. I am currently researching, various departments in the nj/ny metro area!! I considered port authority police since my ultimate goal after school is a tsa management position! But their not hiring!! What departments in central jersey have the best starting salary, benefits(tuition assistance), and overtime. Gotta have overtime!!! Please let me know!!
Newark, jersey city, state, transit, ???
Unfortunately, it is not a very good time to get into law enforcement in NJ. Many departments are laying off officers. Port Authority is still going off the list that they have and are not supposed to give another test anytime soon. NJ State Police just had an application process which ended in February. If I were you I would take the next civil service test (check the NJDOP website) and establish residency in Newark, Camden, Trenton, Jersey City, etc. Other than that check NJSACOP.Com periodically to see what towns are giving chief's tests. Starting salaries are all going to vary town to town. You could also consider applying to some of the shore towns in Ocean/Monmouth/Cape May counties and becoming a special.

Old 05-21-2010, 09:08 AM

912 posts, read 2,445,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by getzit View Post
For a civil service agency it takes atleast a year from the test date to be hired.
And if you haven't been in the military, forget ever getting hired. The veterans preference in New Jersey for LE jobs is such that it effectively locks out anyone who hasn't been in.

Old 05-21-2010, 09:14 AM

912 posts, read 2,445,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gdal625 View Post
You could also consider applying to some of the shore towns in Ocean/Monmouth/Cape May counties and becoming a special.
I live in Ocean. Mostly civil service. Toms River is chief's test but last time they had a test I believe somewhere between 600-700 guys showed up for maybe 20 positions.

Alt-Route used to be good (and, in theory, still is for chief's towns) but no one is hiring these days anyway. OCPA has had to cancel a few classes recently due to lack of hirings. I know OCSD is looking to hire somewhere around 30 guys in the next few years but they're civil service and you run into that pesky veteran's problem again if you headed to college or work after high school.

You want a candid opinion on the best suburban department in NJ? Brick Twp. PD. (No, I do not work for them or anything like that. Just a happy customer. )

Old 05-21-2010, 09:54 AM

3,859 posts, read 9,974,985 times
Honestly you're better off staying out of this state at this point. My brother graduated in 2008 with a degree in criminal justice and then the county police academy in 2009-it will be a year ago next month and he still hasn't found a job. Right now it's sort of a "perfect storm" against people looking for police jobs right now. Towns are paring down the size of their forces by either attrition, layoffs, or both. The ones that aren't simply aren't hiring. TheGambler makes another good point too-veterans of Afghanistan and Iraq are coming home everyday and looking for law enforcement jobs. After trying in vain for a bunch of local jobs my brother is looking at PA State Police, U.S. Capitol Police, DE State police, Amtrak police, etc... He'd rather not move that far if he has to leave New Jersey to find a job.

Old 05-21-2010, 02:08 PM

27 posts, read 100,746 times
Ummm, I got picked up in bergen county, no le experience no hooks, no military...scored a 91.7 off the 2007 test, and was one of the first picked up...

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGambler View Post
I live in Ocean. Mostly civil service. Toms River is chief's test but last time they had a test I believe somewhere between 600-700 guys showed up for maybe 20 positions.

Alt-Route used to be good (and, in theory, still is for chief's towns) but no one is hiring these days anyway. OCPA has had to cancel a few classes recently due to lack of hirings. I know OCSD is looking to hire somewhere around 30 guys in the next few years but they're civil service and you run into that pesky veteran's problem again if you headed to college or work after high school.

You want a candid opinion on the best suburban department in NJ? Brick Twp. PD. (No, I do not work for them or anything like that. Just a happy customer. )
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey