Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-17-2010, 07:39 PM

532 posts, read 1,465,258 times

Advertisements

Houses near the ocean have dropped maybe 10%.

NorthJersey.com: Priced for a new wave of sales

Unemployment 10 % now , 25% in the depression.

I am very surprised the shore house prices are holding up so well.

Last edited by beachouse; 05-17-2010 at 07:52 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-17-2010, 08:53 PM

912 posts, read 2,446,838 times
The reason for housing prices remaining stable around here is mainly that more people are relocating here year-round, so everything is stabilizing quite a bit. Some towns will, most likely, always remain seasonal, but many really do not fall into this category anymore. That makes the area less susceptible to vast fluctuations and more in line with how the rest of the state is going.

Old 05-17-2010, 10:19 PM

478 posts, read 1,749,863 times
Went to a house last week to buy some used furniture..was in Stone Harbor..so just for the heck of it I wanted to study this area..the house I went to was a 2 bedroom ranch (very small) on a lot 50feet by 100feet. The house value was normal around $148K (building)..but the land blew me away...$1.25 million!!! And this is 2 blocks from the ocean..not ocean front! And no backyard dock or even water for their 75foot yacht..if they have one.

Last edited by carlo2009; 05-17-2010 at 10:37 PM..

Old 05-18-2010, 12:15 AM

912 posts, read 2,446,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by carlo2009 View Post
Went to a house last week to buy some used furniture..was in Stone Harbor..so just for the heck of it I wanted to study this area..the house I went to was a 2 bedroom ranch (very small) on a lot 50feet by 100feet. The house value was normal around $148K (building)..but the land blew me away...$1.25 million!!! And this is 2 blocks from the ocean..not ocean front! And no backyard dock or even water for their 75foot yacht..if they have one.
Stone Harbor is an extremely high-value community. Some towns just, well, are. I'll never really understand what about "Alpine" is so amazing that it attracts celebrities and elites - I was there once and it looked like every other wealthy town to me.

What I will tell you is that most people who are looking to purchase a home for year-round use are specifically not looking for the ocean block. I live on a bay block about three houses from the water and (aside from the homes right on the ocean) our values are higher than the ocean block. I suppose it's nice being on the ocean block if you're on vacation for a week, but the extra traffic, noise, lack of parking, etc. isn't really the best situation if it's your regular home. Plus, as a boater, I personally would put more value on the bay block - especially if we're talking lagoon-front or something. Essentially, there is a market for ocean block homes and one for bay block homes.

I think the appraisal sounds about right. The house is a "tear down" but the land has the potential to be the site of a $1 million+ property.

Old 05-18-2010, 05:31 AM

There are limited quantity's of houses near the water so that is keeping the prices up.
Go inland and the prices have taken a hit.

Old 05-18-2010, 06:28 AM

9,324 posts, read 16,667,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by carlo2009 View Post
WOW! If I had that money to spend I would buy a vacation house in Hawaii! At least I could always depend on the weather and the taxes are cheaper.

Old 05-18-2010, 06:34 AM

But you can't get there in a hour or so.

Old 05-18-2010, 07:10 AM

467 posts, read 1,489,368 times
Sorry, but think the prices at the shore are way too high.....not worth it, the traffic on the parkway,
etc....UGH...would rather invest in property in florida....where you can go to the beach 12 months a
year not 3.....and they are FREE.

Old 05-18-2010, 07:12 AM

25 posts, read 75,889 times
My wife & I have owned a home in Manasquan, one block from the beach, for 5 years...

Every year, more & more homes are being torn down & rebuilt as year round residences...

I follow the local market closely, and the prices near the beach have been relatively stable.

They're not making more ocean front lots, so they'll always be expensive...

Old 05-18-2010, 07:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delray Patty View Post
Sorry, but think the prices at the shore are way too high.....not worth it, the traffic on the parkway,
etc....UGH...would rather invest in property in florida....where you can go to the beach 12 months a
year not 3.....and they are FREE.
Sure you can go to the beach 12 months a year,but for most people to make a real living it can only happen up North.

I do agree the shore house prices are high and if the economy gets worse eventually they will decline.
But no one knows if this is the bottom or things are going to get worse.
Things are not bad at all.
Nice towns dropping only 10%.
Restaurants with an hour and a half wait on the weekends.
Only time will tell.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey