Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-15-2007, 11:20 AM

160 posts, read 370,856 times

Advertisements

Hello,

Our 18 year old daughter and a friend are planning on attending school in New York City but are looking at apartments in Jersey City and JC Heights since it is more affordable in those areas. Can anyone give us any insight of those areas? I.e. are they safe areas or high crime? Good and bad neighborhoods, etc.

Thank you for your help.
Lynn and Russ
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-15-2007, 12:22 PM

51 posts, read 262,282 times
Downtown JC (zip 07302) is the most desirable section of JC. JC Heights (zip 07307) is also okay. However anywhere in JC you have to be careful because nice sections are right next door to not so nice sections. Avoid the rest of JC. In Downtown JC stick to areas surrounding Hamilton Park, VanVorst Park, Newport Pavonia, and Financial District. In JC Heights it's harder to say...you just need to check out different areas...but Ogden Ave which runs right along the cliff of the Heights is nice and nearest to Hoboken.

Old 06-15-2007, 01:14 PM

160 posts, read 370,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mishi View Post
Downtown JC (zip 07302) is the most desirable section of JC. JC Heights (zip 07307) is also okay. However anywhere in JC you have to be careful because nice sections are right next door to not so nice sections. Avoid the rest of JC. In Downtown JC stick to areas surrounding Hamilton Park, VanVorst Park, Newport Pavonia, and Financial District. In JC Heights it's harder to say...you just need to check out different areas...but Ogden Ave which runs right along the cliff of the Heights is nice and nearest to Hoboken.
Thanks so much for the info and advice.

Lynn and Russ

Old 06-19-2008, 02:21 PM

1,024 posts, read 3,356,672 times
FYI... There are many posts on Jersey City on this board already with lots of helpful information from JC residents. I would definitely check via the search...
Good luck!

Old 06-19-2008, 03:58 PM

1,110 posts, read 4,371,988 times
I lived in 07307 area... Sherman Ave..Nice street..but..a few blocks over not so nice.. Well, moved out 2 years later. I dont recommend that area.
Also, downtown JC is just as expensive as other NYC suburbs..Might not be worth it.

Old 08-09-2008, 11:34 AM

3 posts, read 13,990 times
Default Sherman Ave Help!!

Hi - I'm looking to purchase a home on Sherman Avenue, between South Street and Congress. I hear it's a nice area, but I'm concerned about break-ins in the area.

Is there anyone who is familiar with the area and can give me some feedback as to what I may expect? Obviously our home will have a full security system and we're used to city living (from Hoboken) -- but I am quite worried that it may not be a great place to live.

Please advise; any help is MUCH appreciated. Thanks!

Old 02-22-2010, 03:02 PM

1 posts, read 4,001 times
HI

I am planning to move to 45th street on palisade avenue, Union city.

Can someone please tell em is the area safe ???

Old 02-23-2010, 06:59 AM

412 posts, read 1,327,292 times
Live on Sherman Ave btw. Franklin & Manhattan (07307). The Heights is an up and coming area. Been living there for a year now and haven't had any problems.

Just some dang kids spray painting graffiti on the fence but otherwise I haven't had any problems coming and going early morning or late evening.

Just remember it is an urban area and I wouldn't walk around with my head in the clouds, as I didn't do when I lived in New York.

The most desired area is the Western Slope of JCH because of the beautiful homes.

There's the Light Rail that you can take the PATH train and NJ transit bus to NY and other parts of Hoboken, North Bergen run on Palisade Ave..

It's a mainly Latin and East Indian area but there are a lot of yuppies with baby carriages, single yuppies and other ethnic groups moving in.

I like The Heights, they just need to rejuvenate Central Ave. because I've notice a lot of stores closing but otherwise it's ok.

Old 02-23-2010, 08:22 AM

2,705 posts, read 8,273,135 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by todd72173 View Post
I lived in 07307 area... Sherman Ave..Nice street..but..a few blocks over not so nice.. Well, moved out 2 years later. I dont recommend that area.
Also, downtown JC is just as expensive as other NYC suburbs..Might not be worth it.
Laugh-out-loud at the notion of Jersey City being called a suburb.

Old 02-23-2010, 09:55 AM

412 posts, read 1,327,292 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tommyc_37 View Post
Laugh-out-loud at the notion of Jersey City being called a suburb.
Laughing along with ya..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey