Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Who is the right choice for New Mexico in 2010!
Susana Martinez - Republican 64 62.14%
Diane D. Denish - Democrat 39 37.86%
Voters: 103. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-06-2010, 03:56 PM

3,689 posts, read 9,200,298 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradly View Post
I am damn proud to be voting for a prosecutor who protects New Mexico families.
Thought this was a governor's race.

What's everyone think about the article in today's Journal about the prosecutor sole-sourcing office supplies from the assistant D.A.'s home-based company?

I guess that's one family that got protected (from a meager assistant D.A. salary)?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-06-2010, 05:55 PM
JBM

567 posts, read 1,100,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoidberg View Post

What's everyone think about the article in today's Journal about the prosecutor sole-sourcing office supplies from the assistant D.A.'s home-based company?

I guess that's one family that got protected (from a meager assistant D.A. salary)?
You know, wouldn't bother me except for it seems to reek of corruption... Something the candidate has made as her central campaign component... Just my thoughts.

Old 08-06-2010, 07:41 PM

9,191 posts, read 21,906,302 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JBM View Post
.......as far as domestic partnership, she (Susana Martinez) said this: “I don’t think it is necessary. It is not a law I would sign.” This is opposed to Diane Denish's campaign statement, which reads: “Domestic partnerships allow adults in committed relationships to plan inheritances, make health-care decisions and build wealth together. During these difficult times, we should be encouraging families to build and accrue wealth.”

It is an important issue to many New Mexicans in fact. Domestic Partnership is a good thing. It's important and we need it. I am eager to see if the two candidates debate this issue in person.
Well, I find Denish's statement rather funny......"we should be encouraging families to build and accrue wealth.."

Yet this same state government is always looking for ways to get more of that accrued weatlh from individuals, so they can give it to those who haven't built/accrued wealth.

We have a governor who seems more concerned with wasting time on a possible pardon for a long-dead common cattle thief--than for job/industry creation.

I don't see Diane Denish as anything but an extension of Bill Richardson.

She was here in Alamogordo at the local hangout for breakfast, making the rounds the other day.

Old 08-06-2010, 07:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cathy4017 View Post
Well, I find Denish's statement rather funny......"we should be encouraging families to build and accrue wealth.."

Yet this same state government is always looking for ways to get more of that accrued weatlh from individuals, so they can give it to those who haven't built/accrued wealth.
I think you're confusing wealth with income. Wealth is not taxed. Even stores of value like real estate are only modestly taxed.

I believe any government official when they say they're not interested in taxing wealth; wealthy people are the only ones with wealth to tax, and they're the ones who run things.

State government gets tax revenue from incomes, which don't become wealth unless they are taxed and then not spent.

Old 08-06-2010, 08:36 PM

9,191 posts, read 21,906,302 times
Believe me, there are LOTS of ways that accrued wealth gets taxed. It depends on what form the wealth takes, how it's invested, et al......

Old 08-06-2010, 10:04 PM

3,435 posts, read 6,999,238 times
Quote:

That was a stupid responce. She fights for families. Thats the point. What does diane do? We don't even need a lt. gov.

Old 08-07-2010, 08:11 AM

2,857 posts, read 6,735,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bradly View Post
That was a stupid responce. She fights for families. Thats the point. What does diane do? We don't even need a lt. gov.
If we don't need a lieutenant governor, and Denish doesn't do anything, then how can Martinez (and you) blame her for everything that happened during t he last eight years?

Old 08-07-2010, 09:39 AM

25,826 posts, read 20,752,173 times
Quote:

Well, I guess it helps to have first-hand experience of corruption in order to 'fight' it.

It will be interesting to see how long this story stays in the news. Of course they dumped it on a Friday, the traditional day for running stories that the 'powers-that-be' hope don't get noticed by too many people. Clearly Madam DA has friends in the right places.

I also find it really interesting how many people are defending her - imagine the outcry if this behavior had been attributed to Lt. Gov. Denish or any other Democrat for that matter.
The hypocrisy is boundless.

Old 08-07-2010, 12:13 PM

888 posts, read 1,188,729 times
There doesn't seem to be a whole lot of "discussion" on this topic anymore?
Just blatant cheer leading, especially from the Martinez supporters.

Steve

Old 08-07-2010, 12:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gearhound View Post
There doesn't seem to be a whole lot of "discussion" on this topic anymore?
Just blatant cheer leading, especially from the Martinez supporters.

Steve
That's why you try to steer the conversation by bringing up substantive material. People with the conversational skills of a 5-year-old will interject regardless, but the signal to noise ratio will be higher.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico