Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-22-2010, 10:46 PM

923 posts, read 2,420,517 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northanna_2001 View Post
I agree --- that was really dumb. I knew of a restaurant owner in Sierra Vista AZ who picked up a baby rattler and was messing around with it and of course, he got bit. Well, he blew it off and went about his day and then dropped day several hours later. The baby rattlers don't know how to control how much venom to eject. The larger ones do. Anytime anyone tries to play smart and pick up one, they are going to be in for it.

The reason snakes are around to get rid of rats and the kind of mice that cause the deadly hanta virus.

Does anyone have problems with them out in Rio Rancho?
The funny thing was, he was trying to show us how to pick up a snake so it wouldn't be able to bite. He didn't put his fingers in the right spot (obviously) because right after he said "this is how it's done", the snake turned his head and bit him.

I have centipede story.

One night my hubby was laying on the floor in the living room watching TV. He felt something on his foot and thought it was our dog's tail. Then he looked over and saw the dog was across the room. He looked down on his foot and saw a giant centipede crawling on it! This thing was HUGE -- around 10 inches long. I never saw my DH jump up and do a dance so fast in all my life!

Trying to kill the thing was another story. We bashed it with a shoe several times, but it would not die (it was on the carpet). So we got a knife and started chopping into it. That still didn't kill it. I think we had to chop it into many pieces before it finally died which still took a while. Centipedes used to get in our house through the swamp cooler/heater vents. We'd see them on the wall near the vents at times. Thankfully, we don't live in that house anymore.

I found a tarantula at work yesterday! I'll post a picture tomorrow.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-23-2010, 03:02 AM

326 posts, read 838,363 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lobo View Post
Here's my rattlesnake story:

When I was around 11 or 12 years old, I went to a lake (forget which one but it was an hour south of Albuquerque.) with my friend, her sisters, and their dad. Shortly after arriving, we spotted a rattlesnake near the car. My friend's dad stupidly picked it up just behind the snake's mouth, but the snake still had enough room to turn and bite him on the finger. He was a large man of 6'4" and must have weighted at least 270 pounds. He immediately dropped the snake (which slithered away). He then started to suck the venom from his finger and spit it out. He started to swagger and then leaned against the car right before he passed out. My friend and I ran to the nearest campsite and summoned some people for help who found a park ranger to call an ambulance. The nearest hospital was in Albuquerque, an hour away. I don't even remember how we got home. That was way before cell phones were around.

He was in the hospital for 6 weeks, had to have a finger amputated, had his arm cut open from his finger all the way to his chest, and ended up with a partially paralyzed hand.

Moral of the story: Never pick up a rattle snake, or any kind of snake if you don't know what type of snake it is.

This made my stomach twist into knots... I continue to count my blessings to have such a cloes encounter with a rattler and still have a healthy child!!

Old 10-23-2010, 03:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALorNM? View Post
My grandpa says "I'm only scared of three kinds of snakes; live snakes, dead snakes, and sticks that look like snakes"
LMAO that sounds just like my mother. Ever since our encounter with the baby diamondback she has had major meltdowns at every corner with a new "snake" looking stick!!!

Old 10-23-2010, 03:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by T.O. Resident View Post
Today When my teenage daughter and I came home, I saw movement on the ground when I let up the garage. I could tell it was a snake, but didn't want to say anything to my daughter, so I made up a reason for her to go through the front door.

I walked closer to the snake to see if it was poisonous, and saw that it was a rattle snake. And since it was half in and half out of the garage and not moving anymore, I got a broom and tried to push it the rest of the way out so that I could close the garage... Unfortunately, it didn't appreciate me pushing it and it became aggressive (sat up and started rattling it's tail) then came ALL of the way into the garage and went underneath a shelf...

I ended up having to call the fire department to get it out. The guys were so amazingly nice and were surprised I didn't freak out and lose sight of the snake once it started moving (they said most women scream and run into the house and have no idea where the snake went . Although they are more than willing to come out and get snakes, they will not look for them, so I had to keep an eye on it and tell them where it was hiding.

It took them a maximum of three minutes to get rid of it! So life is pretty much back to normal and my daughter never even knew the snake was out there until the firemen were there to get it (she is TERRIFIED of snakes!). She got angry with me for not telling her in time for her to get pictures of the firemen with the snake for Facebook!!! LOL!!!

Ugh I would probably faint and fall right on top of the snake... When I saw that baby rattlesnake I admit I got a little too close (what do you expect?? I am an New englander that has never seen a snake that wasn't a gardener snake! It didn't seem real to me until I saw the actual rattles).

Poor little creature wasn't looking for a fight though he just wanted some heat (thank you baby jeebus).

Old 10-23-2010, 03:13 AM

Quote:
The funny thing was, he was trying to show us how to pick up a snake so it wouldn't be able to bite. He didn't put his fingers in the right spot (obviously) because right after he said "this is how it's done", the snake turned his head and bit him.

I have centipede story.

One night my hubby was laying on the floor in the living room watching TV. He felt something on his foot and thought it was our dog's tail. Then he looked over and saw the dog was across the room. He looked down on his foot and saw a giant centipede crawling on it! This thing was HUGE -- around 10 inches long. I never saw my DH jump up and do a dance so fast in all my life!

Trying to kill the thing was another story. We bashed it with a shoe several times, but it would not die (it was on the carpet). So we got a knife and started chopping into it. That still didn't kill it. I think we had to chop it into many pieces before it finally died which still took a while. Centipedes used to get in our house through the swamp cooler/heater vents. We'd see them on the wall near the vents at times. Thankfully, we don't live in that house anymore.

I found a tarantula at work yesterday! I'll post a picture tomorrow.

Ugh let me just throw up all over myself here for a second!!! lol

Old 10-23-2010, 04:49 PM

923 posts, read 2,420,517 times
Here are a couple pictures of the tarantula I captured at school on Thursday. I work at a school far out on the west mesa where there's nothing behind us but volcanoes. Teachers have been finding them every other day, so I decided to bring a container just in case another one was spotted. He ate two crickets in front of my class yesterday.

Oh, and for you spider lovers, no worries -- I'll be releasing it soon back out in the mesa soon!

Old 10-24-2010, 07:28 AM

570 posts, read 581,458 times
Quote:
Here are a couple pictures of the tarantula I captured at school on Thursday. I work at a school far out on the west mesa where there's nothing behind us but volcanoes. Teachers have been finding them every other day, so I decided to bring a container just in case another one was spotted. He ate two crickets in front of my class yesterday.

Oh, and for you spider lovers, no worries -- I'll be releasing it soon back out in the mesa soon!

nice photos

Old 10-25-2010, 04:04 PM

462 posts, read 1,009,589 times
Quote:
The reason you are seeing alot of tarantulas (I think) is the fact that they are migrating. There are lots of them that can be seen this time of year crawling across the Caprock Amphitheatre (where the lift in the Llano Estacado drops down to lower elevation of the land near I-40) north of Clovis about 30 miles.

It would be perfect for somebody's sci-fi movie to be recording them.

Old 10-25-2010, 04:11 PM

Quote:
I have centipede story.
I haven't seen any centipedes but while living in Sierra Vista AZ back in the 90s; I have never seen so many spiders.... We kept our sliding glass door open about half the time so that our labrador could run outside; while we were home. Well, unbeknowst to me all kinds of spiders were getting in. I happen to turn on the light in the livingroom one night and I saw a # of small spiders with webs dropping off the arm of the couch (lovely). Then I went into the front area and there was a large wolf spider with babies on her back. Oh brother. I got the broom after it and millions of babies jumped off her back. EEEEEEEEWWWWWW!

Old 10-25-2010, 04:13 PM

The only place that I know of in NM that has had a problem with on-going snakes has been parts of Edgewood, Moriarity and the housing area of El Dorado close to Santa Fe. Does RR have a problem or are they sighted out there?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico