Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-15-2012, 01:54 PM

186 posts, read 466,063 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poncho_NM View Post
Bear in Bandelier National Park Location gives young girl scare, causes campground to close.

Bear gives young girl scare, closes campground - YouTube

Rich
I feel bad for the bear...they will end up putting him down, and he was just trying to get some food. this is why people should never have anything that smells in their tents. :-(
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-15-2012, 02:35 PM

26,527 posts, read 51,767,782 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pams73 View Post
they will end up putting him down
They may eventually put him down if he continues to be a nuisance, after they have relocated it a few times, depending on the conditions...

Another bear thread: Bears In The Albuquerque Area

Rich

Old 06-19-2012, 10:35 AM

Quote:
They may eventually put him down if he continues to be a nuisance, after they have relocated it a few times, depending on the conditions...

Another bear thread: Bears In The Albuquerque Area

Rich
Growing up in an area that had a LOT of bears (east TN), I have no fear of them. A healthy respect of course, but not fear. The same generally goes for snakes. I don't want to find one in my house, but I don't mind them at all outside.

Spiders and scorpions are a whole other story...I don't like them inside or outside (although I will leave them be if they are out in the wild). The only bad thing is, I like to walk around barefoot a lot. If I come back to NM (I was in Santa Fe before, but am considering Albuquerque as my next site), will my barefoot days be over?

Old 06-19-2012, 12:06 PM

Quote:
will my barefoot days be over?
Yep...

My wife doesn't even go barefoot in the house here. Goatheads, they stick to someones shoes or fur (If they are a dog), and then they embed in the carpet. We have a thread on it Goatheads - Bicycle Tires

Old 06-19-2012, 09:00 PM

Quote:
Yep...

My wife doesn't even go barefoot in the house here. Goatheads, they stick to someones shoes or fur (If they are a dog), and then they embed in the carpet. We have a thread on it Goatheads - Bicycle Tires

Are they all over the state, or just around the ABQ area? I went barefoot in the house in Santa Fe, but I also lived in an apartment over someone's garage......I just couldn't go outside barefoot (which probably is never a good idea no matter where you live, to be honest).

Old 06-19-2012, 09:36 PM

888 posts, read 1,186,839 times
I'm right outside of Santa Fe, and my two dogs bring in goatheads all the time.
I've stepped on enough of them just wearing socks, that I wear tennis shoes even in the house now.

Steve

Old 06-20-2012, 01:32 AM

I either got lucky, or it was because I was pretty much "in town" when I lived there. Although, I would have thought I would have brought some in after hiking myself.

Do you think it makes a difference if your home is all tile or wood floors? Are goatheads only a problem if you have carpeting?

Old 06-20-2012, 06:51 AM

888 posts, read 1,186,839 times
We have NO carpeting in our house, and still have the problem with goatheads.

Steve

Old 06-20-2012, 11:56 AM

Quote:
Are they all over the state, or just around the ABQ area? I went barefoot in the house in Santa Fe, but I also lived in an apartment over someone's garage......I just couldn't go outside barefoot (which probably is never a good idea no matter where you live, to be honest).
They are throughout New Mexico as well as Arizona, California, Nevada, Oregon, and Texas. Some areas are worse than others and they do not sprout as much every year. I walk my dogs almost every day, stay on traveled paths, and they might step on them maybe three times a year. I learned to spot the invested areas, and stay away. Some people can feel or hear them when they are imbedded in the soles of their shoes.

They are not the worst issues to worry about...

Old 06-20-2012, 04:12 PM

Quote:
They are throughout New Mexico as well as Arizona, California, Nevada, Oregon, and Texas. Some areas are worse than others and they do not sprout as much every year. I walk my dogs almost every day, stay on traveled paths, and they might step on them maybe three times a year. I learned to spot the invested areas, and stay away. Some people can feel or hear them when they are imbedded in the soles of their shoes.

They are not the worst issues to worry about...

I imagine I should be more worried about stepping on a scorpion or spider......
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico